Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there no Snapdragon based Android boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there no Snapdragon based Android boxes?

I don't understand why there are no android boxes available based on SnapDragon processors!!!
    For instance, now old, SnapDragon 801 is still more powerful than the latest Amlogic S912, then why aren't manufacturers using those old SD processors which must be very cheap to get by now.

I have three dead Xperia Z1's. Wish I could use the processors somehow

Originally posted by GravityDead View Post
    I don't understand why there are no android boxes available based on SnapDragon processors!!!
    For instance, now old, SnapDragon 801 is still more powerful than the latest Amlogic S912, then why aren't manufacturers using those old SD processors which must be very cheap to get by now.

I have three dead Xperia Z1's. Wish I could use the processors somehow
    Hi ,

that is a good Question , but why you have 3 dead Z1 , not possible to restore ???

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

that is a good Question , but why you have 3 dead Z1 , not possible to restore ???

greetings / gefattern
      Xperia Z1's had a deep sleep bug (or something like that). Those 3 phones just "died" on random days and never turned on back. One did, but it was random too. I had to charger it overnight, sometimes for even longer before it turned on but then, that one too finally died.
      that is why I swore, sony never again.

Btw, is there any other senior members out here who could answer my query? I think it's might be due to compatibility with motherboard or licensing.

Regards
      GravityDead
      Last edited by GravityDead; 12-11-2017, 20:36.

Comment

I am not senior member, however will try to answer.
        Qualcomm does not produce SoCs for TV Boxes, and seems like it is the answer. Your Xperias work(ed) on smartphone SoCs, as these were created and designated to.
        Have a look at Amlogic portfolio. Do they have smartphone SoCs? With modem, licensing and so on? No. I guess the answer for following question - why they don't have such a chips on their portfolio - is as always - money. I believe it is much harder to create valid smartphone chip, so these are more expensive. Moreover - in most cases smartphone SoCs do not have HDMI output modules and similar needed in TV Box chip.

Comment

Originally posted by borsooq View Post
          I am not senior member, however will try to answer.
          Qualcomm does not produce SoCs for TV Boxes, and seems like it is the answer. Your Xperias work(ed) on smartphone SoCs, as these were created and designated to.
          Have a look at Amlogic portfolio. Do they have smartphone SoCs? With modem, licensing and so on? No. I guess the answer for following question - why they don't have such a chips on their portfolio - is as always - money. I believe it is much harder to create valid smartphone chip, so these are more expensive. Moreover - in most cases smartphone SoCs do not have HDMI output modules and similar needed in TV Box chip.
          Ahh, thank you for such a insightful answer. I didn't know manufacturers needed HDMI input FROM chip maker, I thought they added it themselves. Also, we had Razer Forge, it was based on Snapdragon 805 but since it failed so I think Qualcomm must be asking for a hand & a leg for licensing their chips to anyone.

Anyhow, thank you for your answer, that seems logical but I STILL hope to see snapdragon based android TV soon as Mi box is weak and NVIDIA shield is too expensive.

EDIT: Also, by senior I meant t say anyone with more knowledge. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear about that.

Comment

Originally posted by GravityDead View Post

Ahh, thank you for such a insightful answer. I didn't know manufacturers needed HDMI input FROM chip maker, I thought they added it themselves. Also, we had Razer Forge, it was based on Snapdragon 805 but since it failed so I think Qualcomm must be asking for a hand & a leg for licensing their chips to anyone.

Anyhow, thank you for your answer, that seems logical but I STILL hope to see snapdragon based android TV soon as Mi box is weak and NVIDIA shield is too expensive.

EDIT: Also, by senior I meant t say anyone with more knowledge. Sorry about that, I wasn't clear about that.
            Razer Forge TV has SD805

SD835 based Android TV coming soon?

90% of these type of android boxes come from china, and amlogic / rockchip are always going to be cheaper than Qcom

Anything Qcom will be priced like the shield though I think.

Comment

Working...
            X