Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated Plex firmware

Hey guys,

I was wondering. Is there a way to make this box a plex server? Plex server itself refuses to install, I learned that it's possible to mock this device as a razer and then have it install. But I'm not entirely sure if that will run optimal, nor do I know how to make the store think it's a razer.

Processing this device should manage right?

Well...just give it try..
    and give feedback/ progress and verdict here...So we can learn from you

Alternative
    DISCONTINUED: These builds will no longer be updated but you are welcome to use them! LibreELEC 8.2 for Amlogic S912 devices. WARNING: Amlogic has not released fbdev Mali libraries and has no plans to release them. These builds use libhybris and…

I am pleased to report that the Plex Media Server (PMS) addon [URL:http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/57363-addon-plex-media-server] that hugepants [URL:http://openelec.tv/forum/user/17907-hugepants] has been maintaining over on the OE forums works…

Cheers

Comment

I wish I knew where to begin to even "give it a try" :P it won't install .. that's where my knowledge ends

tho the libreelec steps I might try.. but the remark: "These builds use libhybris and Android gralloc Mali driver to provide OpenGL for Kodi - this is an experimental approach with CPU overhead - this means suboptimal GPU performance." kinda holds me back already.. I'm not sure if I'd use OpenGL as it will run purely server, but I can imagine it needing the driver to do GPU stuff

Comment

Did You try manual installation via apk file?
        They can be downloaded here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-i...-media-server/
        Unfortunately it means that You will have to manually download and install it every update cam out (if You fill a need to have latest version or it's needed by Plex for security and older ones are being blocked once in a while).
        ALFAWISE H96 Pro+ 3/32 (S32-V6) | 7.1.2 | SCV7A | OC kernel | TWRP 3.1.1-0 | 64GB

Comment

Hmm good point I didn't try a direct install. I now am on libreelec. That install went semi-flawless. plex seems to run quite fast. Just haven't tried transcoding (yet) as I'm trying to get to used to it. (figuring out atm how to get NFS/Samba working to access my NAS)

Comment

Another way to create a Plex server, is to install it from Ubuntu running from a microSD card on your box. That way, you can dual boot to your Android box if you so desire. I run Plex server on Android as you are testing now, also Linux. LibreELEC and my Synology NAS.

Tutorial on how to install Ubuntu onto and inexpensive Android TV box. By running Ubuntu on this box, you can use it as a Linux computer or Plex, Emby and t...

How to install Plex server onto a $40 Android box running Ubuntu 16.04. I use my cheat sheet that I created to simplify the process of mounting my external...
            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Didn't use libreELEC for sometime, but in File Manager there was "Add Source"->"Add network location" option. It should let You add NAS using SMB. And I'm not sure if it adds NAS to Plex or just the File Manager.

As for Android Solid Explorer supports SMB protocol (not sure if SMB3 too), but I never used that. ES FIle Explorer should support both NFS/SMB, but it has a lot of crap in free version.

Hovere it's just what I remember I was using few months ago and not with this Box, but old netbook with libreELEC. Now I just use DLNA Server on my PC and VLC on the Box.
              ALFAWISE H96 Pro+ 3/32 (S32-V6) | 7.1.2 | SCV7A | OC kernel | TWRP 3.1.1-0 | 64GB

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                Another way to create a Plex server, is to install it from Ubuntu running from a microSD card on your box. That way, you can dual boot to your Android box if you so desire. I run Plex server on Android as you are testing now, also Linux. LibreELEC and my Synology NAS.

Tutorial on how to install Ubuntu onto and inexpensive Android TV box. By running Ubuntu on this box, you can use it as a Linux computer or Plex, Emby and t...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwa1tH8ju7Q&t=171s
                Cool thx, that one I'll keep in mind, right now plex seems to be running AND I can access shares

I have 1 peeve: That remote access thing of plex, keeps popping off, this is quite frustrating.

Second one I've basically used on my current plex server (VM) "IF" the remote access thing keeps popping off I might consider doing that tomorrow.. I'll see how this goes.

Originally posted by ch3mn3y View Post
                Didn't use libreELEC for sometime, but in File Manager there was "Add Source"->"Add network location" option. It should let You add NAS using SMB. And I'm not sure if it adds NAS to Plex or just the File Manager.

As for Android Solid Explorer supports SMB protocol (not sure if SMB3 too), but I never used that. ES FIle Explorer should support both NFS/SMB, but it has a lot of crap in free version.

Hovere it's just what I remember I was using few months ago and not with this Box, but old netbook with libreELEC. Now I just use DLNA Server on my PC and VLC on the Box.
                Well that doesn't make it accessible to plex it seems. I did fix it via https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/99...-in-libreelec/ and works.

Comment

So I ended up installing Armbian server while following:
                  tho I have to add: I installed armbian xenial and all files weren't set to root id.. which I replaced with manually chown root:root with all dirs but /home

but followed:
                  for the plex install.

I just have some issues with auto mounting cifs. solved it by adding it to rc.local with a sleep.. but not perfect.

I can't get systemd to trigger network-online.target which is frustrating as hell.

Just found out that in armbian-config -> System -> network-manager wasn't enabled. this MIGHT be the problem.. will keep you posted (plex is indexing, I don't really want to reboot to find out :P )

(ps: runs SO much faster than the libreelec version buuut I installed it to the emmc so that's probably why)
                  Last edited by djmulder; 01-02-2018, 22:27.

Comment

Hmm for some reason my message got marked as spam, as I editted too much haha

Anyway, I have armbian running now. Followed this guide: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2419...905-and-s905x/ (Xenial) (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2138...-amlogic-s912/ doesn't seem complete yet, will keep an eye on it)

Plex server via: https://www.dev2day.de/projects/

Seems to run fine with a heck lot of peeves: indexing is terribly long. (2 days so far and still not done), note I installed it to the eMMC so it should be faster (imho)
                    And it is having a big issues with 4K HEVC, like it plays.. but stutters from time to time. (say it plays 75% well)

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Android + Kodi as well. Could anyone confirm/deny?

If it's not an issue in android it could be armbian not perfect installed? (so perhaps, driver issue?)
                    Last edited by djmulder; 01-04-2018, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by djmulder View Post
                      Hmm for some reason my message got marked as spam, as I editted too much haha

Anyway, I have armbian running now. Followed this guide: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2419...905-and-s905x/ (Xenial) (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/2138...-amlogic-s912/ doesn't seem complete yet, will keep an eye on it)

Plex server via: https://www.dev2day.de/projects/

Seems to run fine with a heck lot of peeves: indexing is terribly long. (2 days so far and still not done), note I installed it to the eMMC so it should be faster (imho)
                      And it is having a big issues with 4K HEVC, like it plays.. but stutters from time to time. (say it plays 75% well)

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Android + Kodi as well. Could anyone confirm/deny?

If it's not an issue in android it could be armbian not perfect installed? (so perhaps, driver issue?)
                      Which box are you using as a Plex server and what is the Ethernet speed. What client are you using to watch from your server?
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

For S805 and S905 users... There seems to be a new build (I noticed today )
                        hello here is Plex Home Theater based on LibreELEC 8.0 from kszaq edit: new version of OpenPHT 1.9 is based od LibreELEC 8.2 by kszaq and it can be updated form LibreELEC 8.2 all patches from kszaq builds are inserted compiled version is for S905 and…

Thanks for giving keeping use updated.. on your project

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Which box are you using as a Plex server and what is the Ethernet speed. What client are you using to watch from your server?
                          Right now the H96 Pro+ 3G is the server. The client is my android tv (sony bravia, KD-55XE8599B)

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                          For S805 and S905 users... There seems to be a new build (I noticed today )
                          hello here is Plex Home Theater based on LibreELEC 8.0 from kszaq edit: new version of OpenPHT 1.9 is based od LibreELEC 8.2 by kszaq and it can be updated form LibreELEC 8.2 all patches from kszaq builds are inserted compiled version is for S905 and…

Thanks for giving keeping use updated.. on your project
                          yeh no problem. It's kinda fun, just a tiny bit above my realm of knowledge (as in: I know a bit of linux, but now I delved into stuff that I never knew before :P )

Comment

bah after the client acting extremely unstable on the TV. (not sure if it was encoding or not, I was watching a 1080p movie so wasn't 4k) I decided I'd wait til the S912 version is released before I delve into plex again

Comment

Working...
                            X