Discussion on 905w Tanix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion on 905w Tanix

Created to keep main thread clean and get back on topic.
    Last edited by trebor; 01-16-2018, 09:19.
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

I am sharing this letter that I just sent to Tanix Box customer support:

UNROOTED SOFTWARE NEEDED URGENTLY

Your TV box is sold fraudulently in Canada and elsewhere:
    It is rooted, which is illegal in Canada and many other countries, and which makes the Google Play Store app UNCERTIFIED (see SETTINGS at the bottom). The NETFLIX app is also UNCERTIFIED and cannot be updated because of that. Many apps including Google video, Snapchat, Global Tv Go, and many bank apps are now blocked on rooted Android devices. Netflix has already stopped support for rooted devices and is expected to ban them. This trend will only increase.

There was nothing said about this in the description when I bought my box in November 2017. It is a brand new box and it is already almost useless. This can be easily fixed by issuing unrooted OEM firmware. I have tried several things, including installing the latest firmware from December 17, manually disabling root SU via terminal, and installing Magisk to hide root, but nothing worked.

Just turning root off using your new switch did not fix the problem either. Just modifying your rooted software will not work because Safety Net, which blocks rooted devices, looks for any modification to OEM, discrepancies between the list of installed applications and the actual apps installed, and many other things. So, the firmware has to be built as unrooted from the start. And then before releasing it you need to run it by a SafetyNet app and make sure it passes successfully the tests. Search SafetyNet and Magisk, or talk to Magisk developers for details.

I requested this a month ago and never heard from you. If I do not hear from you within the next TWO WEEKS, I will start putting up reviews on the net telling people NOT TO BUY Tanix boxes and also ask AMAZON to STOP SELLING your boxes because they do not meet SafetyNet standards.

I hope you can provide me PROMPTLY with an approximate date for the release of new UNROOTED FIRMWARE. Please ensure that it is available as both IMG and ZIP file.

cc. Amazon.ca
    cc. Amazon.com

Comment

• scooter2014
      scooter2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is NOT illegal to sell a Rooted box in any place other then maybe a dictator state so you facts are jn correct. Netflix needs Level one security and this box has never advertised that it has That? We did post a list of boxes that do have it. Maybe bit more reading before purchasing and knowing what your buying will help you.

This site was created to find fixes for devices and work together with end users to help get better understanding of what devices do what. Time for some reading Maybe?

I doo not need Netflix,i use rooted apps

Comment

Originally posted by PC16 View Post
      UNROOTED SOFTWARE NEEDED URGENTLY
      I don't understand your problem-if you want an unrooted device, you could either use an unrootapp from playstore or just delete any su bin(s) on system with file manager, after a reboot it should be unrooted.. For me any device without root rights would be a nogo-it is my device so I want to have all rights to alter filesystem and grant rights to apps or not!..
      Last edited by huaak; 01-14-2018, 17:42.

Comment

Scooter:
        This blog is about finding fixes, and in case you did not read my post, this is what it does: it proposes an easy fix to a major problem.

This blog however is not about venting and insulting people. Before you tell people to check their facts you should check your own. Rooted devices are illegal in Canada and many other countries are moving in that direction to protect copyrights.

Rooting, because it blocks major apps, and the uncertified Google Play app are major issues and should be in the main description. So should the uncertified Netflix issue. Many people will buy a streaming box to use Netflix!

Huaak: Thanks for not using this blog to vent and insult people. As my post explains, I have tried several things including removing SU, etc. Safety net isn't fooled that easily... Unroot Google Play apps do not work.

To everybody: I do not oppose Tanix selling rooted boxes. But I want a solution to this problem. The solution is straightforward and easy. I do oppose, however, the fact that Tanix was not upfront with the rooting issue including the uncertified Google Play app and problems with Netflix.

Again, there is an easy solution to this. I hope Tanix will listen and prove to us that it can be counted on to fix problems and a good choice for future purchases.

I also hope that people will support this, it proposes an improvement which benefits both users and Tanix as a company (it offers solutions and more options and shows that it listens to people), instead of attacking it and insulting me.

Comment

..when trying to unroot the box did you start with a fresh install? If yes, did you install all apps causing issues with root after un-rooting and/or deleting su binary? If my comments sound rude or insulting, I'm deeply sorry, that is definately not what I want. I only try to find a solution, sometimes with success, sometimes not.

I hope you find a solution for your special issues, without the need for all the others here who like it to loose the benefits of such a device like adblocker, easy backups, modding and stuff.

Comment

Huaak: The complaint about rudeness and offensiveness was for Scooter.

Yes, I have tried all these things, fresh installs, etc... and a lot more. I have been at this for over a month and tried every solution out there. I have researched it quite thoroughly.

I am not asking that you lose privileges. Tanix can keep selling it's rooted boxes and keep producing rooted firmware. But along with this, it should offer unrooted firmware.

People need to understand that this is not my special problem. As an average Joe, I bought a brand new TV box with latest Android software for streaming. Instead, I got a flawed box that has an uncertified Google Play app, that cannot stream half of my favorite TV shows (Global go), that denies me access to Google video, and that has issues with streaming Netflix, one of the most important streaming app.

If Tanix solves the problem, then I will be happy to leave it at that. If it doesn't, then, it is my duty to warn other people. That's when everybody loses.

Comment

• scooter2014
              scooter2014 commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you tried removing the bin files suggested above?

And I am correct it is NOT a crime to root a Android device as stated. It is even allowed on cells in Canada as long as you have carriers ok bell and rogers have no issue with it. As long as it's not used to supervent thier system (maybe a apk that won't run on no rooted or to change phone system files.) But in any event it's not ileagal as you suggest.

As I said Not being rude you need to check what your buying first (that takes some reading of specs ect and posts. ) This device doesn't have level one security needed for net flicks so if that's a must have Netflix is only avalible on few devices posted here too. Maybe explain way you need it unrooted is there a particular program you are trying to run??

You can always use aptiod in place of play store if it's not working for you or you have concerns.

most Android boxes flawed and very few come without an issue. Time fixes most issues.

Huaak: Thanks for not using this blog to vent and insult people. As my post explains, I have tried several things including removing SU, etc. Safety net isn't fooled that easily... Unroot Google Play apps do not work.
            huaak Insulted you? I think no, sorry. Also not scooter2014 (attention: here are many scooters)

And I agree 100% with their comments.

Comment

UNROOTED SOFTWARE -- This is probably my last post. So, read carefully...

Scooter2014: The box is illegal. Read the recent amendments to the Copyright Act. Thank you for not being rude in your second post.

Huaak: Like I said before, I have already tried most reasonable options.

EVERYBODY: NO ONE IS TRYING TO TAKE YOUR TOYS AWAY.

This will get resolved in either two ways:
              1) I get your support in fixing this: You yourself contact, and get everyone you know to do so, Tanix support and convey the importance of providing unrooted firmware THAT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PASSED THE SAFETY NET TEST as soon as possible. The problem gets solved. Everybody is happy. That is about 2 minutes' work.

2) I do not get your support and I have to solve the problem with the options that I have. I cannot stand by and let Tanix sell streaming boxes that are already blocked by major legal streaming services without disclosing that fact to unsuspecting customer as has happened to me. This may result in Tanix boxes being banned.

Perhaps one of you prefers to do as scooter2014 discussed and go to Bell and ask if the Tx3 is legal. With all those Kodi add-ons with biblical names, I am sure that they would be delighted to take a look at it... That would solve the problem really really quickly. They are part of a North American conglomerate that are suing a long list of people that are distributing illegal fully loaded boxes.

As scooter2014 says, time fixes most issues. The only question here is, how?

No more excuses. No more Wild Goose chases. The only way for Tanix to keep selling rooted boxes is for them to also offer unrooted stock firmware. Take 2 minutes of your time to support my request: http://www.tanix-box.com/contact/

I am not your enemy. However, what I am trying to get through to you is that by not fixing this, you are your own enemy: you are forcing other people to do it for you and leave them only with options that are not good for you: option #2 and Bell. What do you expect will happen?

My mind is made up. Do not waste your time with more arguments, excuses, Wild Goose chases. I will not be reading new comments for more than a couple of days.

Comment

• trebor
                trebor commented
                Editing a comment
                1: Yes

Just a simple ask in this thread asking for an .img without root access ( or options) would have been the best to start with and wait.

• scooter2014
                scooter2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                Copy write only applies to pirate streaming ect. Nothing to do with Rooting any Android device. (Think you get confused on that. ) There is no copyrighted material on tv box unless it's pirate apps. ) Not banned Loaded boxes are not allowed yes. Perhaps your thinking of cell phones but even those can be rooted so yes your Incorrect about rooting Android devices. At worst it voids your warranty.

UNROOTED SOFTWARE -- This is probably my last post. So, read carefully...

Scooter2014: The box is illegal. Read the recent amendments to the Copyright Act. Thank you for not being rude in your second post.

Huaak: Like I said before, I have already tried most reasonable options.

EVERYBODY: NO ONE IS TRYING TO TAKE YOUR TOYS AWAY.

This will get resolved in either two ways:
              1) I get your support in fixing this: You yourself contact, and get everyone you know to do so, Tanix support and convey the importance of providing unrooted firmware THAT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PASSED THE SAFETY NET TEST as soon as possible. The problem gets solved. Everybody is happy. That is about 2 minutes' work.

2) I do not get your support and I have to solve the problem with the options that I have. I cannot stand by and let Tanix sell streaming boxes that are already blocked by major legal streaming services without disclosing that fact to unsuspecting customer as has happened to me. This may result in Tanix boxes being banned.

Perhaps one of you prefers to do as scooter2014 discussed and go to Bell and ask if the Tx3 is legal. With all those Kodi add-ons with biblical names, I am sure that they would be delighted to take a look at it... That would solve the problem really really quickly. They are part of a North American conglomerate that are suing a long list of people that are distributing illegal fully loaded boxes.

As scooter2014 says, time fixes most issues. The only question here is, how?

No more excuses. No more Wild Goose chases. The only way for Tanix to keep selling rooted boxes is for them to also offer unrooted stock firmware. Take 2 minutes of your time to support my request: http://www.tanix-box.com/contact/

I am not your enemy. However, what I am trying to get through to you is that by not fixing this, you are your own enemy: you are forcing other people to do it for you and leave them only with options that are not good for you: option #2 and Bell. What do you expect will happen?

My mind is made up. Do not waste your time with more arguments, excuses, Wild Goose chases. I will not be reading new comments for more than a couple of days.

what on earth are you gabbling on about

1) the tanix can be "unrooted" from the settings menu

2) the kodi install is a clean, vanilla install with ZERO addons..

Comment

Dimspace: Please check your facts before you make RUDE and wrong comments.

Comment

• scooter2014
                  scooter2014 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok I asked before. What program do you need not to be rooted For? Members might be able to help if they know?

Rooting your device can give you a lot more control over it, but it also will usually void your warranty and make repairs a hassle. Rooting also makes installing OTA (over-the-air) updates more difficult. Luckily, you can quickly unroot...

That gives step by step may help it's worked before.

Good luck. Let us know if it worked.

Scooter:
                This blog however is not about venting and insulting people. Before you tell people to check their facts you should check your own. Rooted devices are illegal in Canada and many other countries are moving in that direction to protect copyrights.

Rooting, because it blocks major apps, and the uncertified Google Play app are major issues and should be in the main description. So should the uncertified Netflix issue. Many people will buy a streaming box to use Netflix!
                Not everyone who responds to you and doesn't kiss your ass and say "yes, sir" is insulting you. They all know you're wrong. You've convinced yourself that you're completely correct and refuse to listen to what anyone else has to say, so who is insulting whom here?

1. Owning or selling rooted devices is not illegal in Canada. Please point out the Canadian legislation that says so, and be absolutely 100% specific. And I mean point out the EXACT FEDERAL LEGISLATION THAT SAYS SO. I'm Canadian, have been in the IT industry for 25 years, and have never ever heard anything like this. Ever. The Copyright Modernization Act *might* be violated if Tanix had supplied a bootloader locked, unrooted device and YOU, THE END USER, had tampered with the digital locks THEY had put on the device. Let's be clear: YOU would be the one who would be in trouble in this case. However, since they have supplied the device already unlocked and rooted, the Act does not apply. I will admit that some of the Kodi addons that are included in the standard ROM (specifically Covenant) are questionable and would be better off removed, but legally they are not required to. Bell/Rogers/Videotron have won temporary injunctions against several Canadian sellers of Android TV boxes pending the results of court cases against these sellers for selling boxes with questionable Kodi addons included, but as far as I know the actual cases have not gone to court yet. The cable companies are using the tactic of attacking small vendors who have limited resources to fight legal battles against huge corporations having virtually unlimited resources. This means that the legality of these Kodi addons has not been proven or disproven in a Canadian court at this time.

2. This device cannot pass Google's SafetyNet attestation checks because the bootloader is unlocked. You can unroot it all you like and it should still fail the SafetyNet check. Not every Android device is SafetyNet certified and SafetyNet certification is not required for all Android devices. As far as I'm concerned, too bad for you if you assumed that it would be certified.

3. Netflix doesn't run at higher resolutions because the device doesn't have Widevine L1 certification. It has never claimed to, and most Android boxes do not. You can go buy one that does have the certification, but expect to pay more.

Comment

And If you want a 4k Netflix box...

treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by Hai Karate View Post

Not everyone who responds to you and doesn't kiss your ass and say "yes, sir" is insulting you. They all know you're wrong. You've convinced yourself that you're completely correct and refuse to listen to what anyone else has to say, so who is insulting whom here?

1. Owning or selling rooted devices is not illegal in Canada. Please point out the Canadian legislation that says so, and be absolutely 100% specific. And I mean point out the EXACT FEDERAL LEGISLATION THAT SAYS SO. I'm Canadian, have been in the IT industry for 25 years, and have never ever heard anything like this. Ever. The Copyright Modernization Act *might* be violated if Tanix had supplied a bootloader locked, unrooted device and YOU, THE END USER, had tampered with the digital locks THEY had put on the device. Let's be clear: YOU would be the one who would be in trouble in this case. However, since they have supplied the device already unlocked and rooted, the Act does not apply. I will admit that some of the Kodi addons that are included in the standard ROM (specifically Covenant) are questionable and would be better off removed, but legally they are not required to. Bell/Rogers/Videotron have won temporary injunctions against several Canadian sellers of Android TV boxes pending the results of court cases against these sellers for selling boxes with questionable Kodi addons included, but as far as I know the actual cases have not gone to court yet. The cable companies are using the tactic of attacking small vendors who have limited resources to fight legal battles against huge corporations having virtually unlimited resources. This means that the legality of these Kodi addons has not been proven or disproven in a Canadian court at this time.

2. This device cannot pass Google's SafetyNet attestation checks because the bootloader is unlocked. You can unroot it all you like and it should still fail the SafetyNet check. Not every Android device is SafetyNet certified and SafetyNet certification is not required for all Android devices. As far as I'm concerned, too bad for you if you assumed that it would be certified.

3. Netflix doesn't run at higher resolutions because the device doesn't have Widevine L1 certification. It has never claimed to, and most Android boxes do not. You can go buy one that does have the certification, but expect to pay more.

Hai Karate: Your comment is rude and abusive. I called Scooter2014 out on his rudeness. He changed his tone, and we moved on several days ago. It serves no purpose to stir this up again. Where I come from we call abusive people out. We do not defend them like you do or join them.

Kiss ass: I do not expect people to kiss my ass. This is something you imagined.

"They all know you're wrong.". Who is they? You do not represent anybody here but yourself. If you think you do, this is something else you are imagining.

"You've convinced yourself...": This is again something else you have imagined. Where I come from, it is not illegal to have your own opinions or to disagree with people. Neither is it rude.

#1 The legal issue
                  As both of you pointed out, a lot of this is still in court and we will not know for a while who is right. I give it to you that no one can say categorically at this point whether it is legal or not. I suggest we leave it at that because it is a side issue here. Read my posts carefully, I am not asking Tanix to stop producing rooted boxes.

#2 In all the research I have done about unrooting and safety net, bootloader lock was not an issue. Maybe I missed something, but it appears that what you are saying is blatantly false. It should have come up over and over.

#3 The issue I raised with Netflix is not the resolution. If you are going to comment on a post, you should check your facts first.

I DO NOT OPPOSE ROOTING. I AM NOT ASKING TANIX TO STOP PRODUCING ROOTED BOXES. I am asking everyone of you to write two their customer support (http://www.tanix-box.com/contact/) and request that they provide LEVEL 1 SECURITY UNROOTED FIRMWARE (bootloader locked if it has to be) in addition to its rooted firmware. That would solve all the problems I raised.

This way, both rooters like you and unrooters like me get all that they want. It does not cost you anything and would not take anything away from you. I do not understand why there is such opposition to this.

This is also a good business decision for Tanix. Most people (90%) buy TV boxes for streaming legal content, not hacking. If they do not fix that problem, people will feel cheated and never touch that company again. It is a very bad business decision for them not to fix this. If they neglect 90% of their customer base, they will go out of business.Tanix: if you read this make sure you read all my other posts to understand the problem correctly.

Somebody is asking you for help. It's free and you lose nothing. If you do not have it in you to give it, so be it. This is not the kind of person that I am.

Comment

Ok the box doesn' have level one. Always good to ask. But don' think this device will see that. Locked bootloader means no custom firmware so not some thing most want to see. We made a thread with listed units that sell with netflicks HD. None of the Tanix device sell with HD or level one so don' think coming anytime soon. But may be a dev or two looking into how it' done it' difficult because hidden and tied to other things. We tell manufactures all the time don' change hardware don't release crap firmware let us help you. Include level one ect ect not many listen. But seems mecool getting a market with providing it.
                    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X