Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android TV stick - Logitech squeezebox replacement project

Hi,

First of all, being a new member to this forum, I would like to congratulate the mods on maintaining this forum, the support given and the effort put into developingnew roms.

Now, I have been searching the internet and this forum for quite some time but with every related article/post I read, things seem to get more complex. There is such a variety of devices, solutions, etc., that I just thought to myself, why don't I just ask the experts straight away. So, here I am.

To kick off, let me give you some background on what I intend to do/achieve. Many of you might (not) be familiar with the Logitech Squeezebox series as a multiroom audio solution (similar to Sonos, but much better supported by the community) providing synched play back functionality for locally stored audiofiles, internet radio, major streaming services (deezer, last.fm, spotify). The set-up typically involves a device running the Logitech Music Server (pc, NAS) and one or more play-back devices. With the decision of Logitech to discontinue the Squeezebox series and the popularity of the Rasberry Pi, various people in the community have started-up projects to use the Rasberry Pi as a replacement device both on the server and play-back side. With the average price (in Europe) of a fully functional Rasberry Pi (so including casing, cables,additional usb sound/wifi-dongle) to be close to 70 USD for the server and 90 USD for the player, I started wondering whether one could achieve the same result using Android TV sticks for less money.

What do we need:
    1) 1 network wired Android TV stick able to run the Logitech Music Server (various versions exist including WIN, MAC, some NAS and Linux) or a Linux based custom program developed by the community (e.g. SqueezePlug). I was thinking about using the Debian/Ubuntu version of the server running on Picuntu or a Linux Simulator for Android (Debian Kit or LimBo). Mind that the Rasberry Pi only has a single core 700 mhz processor and 512 mb of ram so I assume using an RK3066 dual core device should do the trick.
    2) 1 or more (depending on the amount of rooms) wireless Android TV sticks to operate as play-back device running Squeeze player (Android based software player).

As indicated above, I have read multiple articles and posts (so I apologize ifthis discussion has already been addressed, but so for a search for "squeezebox" on the forum gave 0 results). The main conclusion of my investigation is that most Android TV stick have there advantages and disadvantages, they all seem to struggle with compatibility issues for add-on USB devices and I'm now stuck with a serious headache.

For the server part I have mainly considered the MK808(B). Main reasons being the substantial community support for the device, its compatibility with Picuntu (MK808) and the overall positive reviews I have read about it. Major drawback is the unstable wifi and possibly also conflicts with the USB to LANRJ45 adapter. Alternative is the CX-803. Main reasons being the community support for the device, better wifi with external antenna and editor's choice in a recent Dutch PC magazine. Major drawbacks are likely conflicts with the USB to LAN RJ45 adapter (although I might not need it due to better wifi reception) and the device is not compatible with Picuntu (forcing me to use a Linux emulator for Android).

For the players, I have considered the above 3 options MK808, MK808B and CX-803 for the same reasons as the once explained above. Major draw-back here is the likely conflict with a usb soundcard/dac. An alternative could be to use a HDMI to VGA adapter with 3.5mm audio out (the Measy reviewed by Neomode) but this adds and additional 15 USD to the overall price. So I started looking into sticks that have built-in AV out, being the Kimdecent B13 and the Measy U2C. Again, also these devices have their benefits and disadvantages. The Kimdecent B13 is supposed to have "good" AV out, has good wifi signal but it lacks the quality community support the MK808, MK808B and CX-803 have and Antutu score is lower compared to the U2C (after latest finless rom update). Asfar as the Measy UC2 goes, it has a decent Antutu score, wifi should also be OK, it has better community support, but, I have read various posts that the AV out quality is poor. Finally with the B13 and the U2C, I would be paying 15 USD more for functions (mainly camera and mic) that I don't need.

I also considered TV boxes (mainly Minix Neo X5) because it has built-in AV out and wired LAN connection and quad core TV sticks, but also here these devices are typically more expensive and quad core power might be overkill for the purpose I intend to use the stick for.

So now comes the question. I would highly appreciate it, could any one of yous hare your experience (if any) with using an Android TV stick for the purpose explained above, your thoughts on whether this can work and most importantly your recommendations/guidance?suggestions one which device to pick. It goes without saying that I will post my final shopping list and keep you posted on implementation and final performance.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

did you ever make this work? I am planning to do something similar.

Ailton

Comment

Working...
    X