Inside the Minix Neo X7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside the Minix Neo X7

For those of you curious about the inside of the Minix Neo X7...

To open the X7, push a small flat tip screw driver between the bottom and the case, above the android man's head. The bottom is latched at several points. You can use a second screw driver at the next latch, push both slightly until eventually is starts to get loose, continuing around the edge:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-19 08.29.29.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	438568

Inside you'll find the following:

Name:	2013-08-19 08.28.25.jpg
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	438564

Here's the whole PCB:

Name:	2013-08-19 08.27.26.jpg
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	438565

The PCB a little closer:

Name:	2013-08-19 08.27.41.jpg
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	438566

Name:	2013-08-19 08.27.54.jpg
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	438567
    As you can see, there's a heatsink on the RK3188. This heatsink was not visible from the photo of geekbuying:
    Hi, Geeks: Sorry for you wait, i really spent much more time to test this NEO X7 quad core tv box. I have so many hopes like you guys to this device, so i test everything i can. Now i will share with you guys for ths review: NEO X7, The Quad Core Model from […]

One thing I noticed though is that the case is completely closed, there are no ventilation holes. Die hard overclockers might want to drill some holes in the case.

You can also see a battery, probably for the realtime clock. Other sticks rely fully on network time to keep their clock accurate.

There's also a jumper, it's purpose is explained on the other end of the PCB next to the battery: auto power on/off

As you could see from the earlier photo, there's also a piece of metal on the top case:

Name:	2013-08-19 08.31.44.jpg
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	438569
    It's located nearly above the RK3188, but not entirely aligned. I wonder what it's for, would be a strange way to provide extra cooling (where can the heat go?). Perhaps it's intended for RF shielding (then why is it not grounded?).

If we look at the bottom of the PCB:

Name:	2013-08-19 08.35.05.jpg
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	438570

One small "design flaw" is that it does not have any rubber feet or coating on the bottom of the case. This makes it easily slide around when placed on a smooth surface. It's easily solved by sticking a few small rubber feet on the bottom.

The X7 has quite a lot more hardware than the average RK3188 stick, such as: an ethernet adapter, SPDIF and analog audio connectors, built-in USB hub, external antenna, RTC battery, remote control receiver, soft power switch, etc. The overall built quality is also better than most sticks, on other words: you really get what you pay for!

I'm planning to write a more detailed review about the X7, but first I need to receive some information from Minix... to be continued!
    Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Interesting on the auto power on jumper. Makes me wonder based on some reports if this is missing for some people that have power off issues and dont see the boot anmation on power up (like it reboots in sleep mode).

The metal square I bet might be for EME/RF reasons?

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      Interesting on the auto power on jumper. Makes me wonder based on some reports if this is missing for some people that have power off issues and dont see the boot anmation on power up (like it reboots in sleep mode).

The metal square I bet might be for EME/RF reasons?

Bob
      I suspect that the auto power on might be for using the X7 for public display screens and such.
      Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

This was good reading! I agree about ventilation, think i gonna do some cutouts to mine so heat can come out.

PS! This quote is from Minix about that metal plate:

"X7's cooling is way better than those sticks.
        It has heatsink on cpu and ram. It also has a piece of metal on top of the case to help absorbing and dissipating heat."

I don't think it is a very good solution, mabey if case was made of aluminum.
        Last edited by Trhuster; 08-27-2013, 10:14.

Comment

I imagine the auto power on may be because a lot of people asked for it on the X5 forums and I think it came quite high up in a poll they had on features wanted. Minix hinted about it in a thread but kept his lips sealed as it "might" void the warranty.

My only wish would be for VESA mount to attach it to the back of my touchscreen, but hey a drill and a few spacers are no problem. (The .idc file hack for my touchscreen still works great on the X7 and is really fluid in use + they fixed the silly contrast problem of the X5).

Yeah I guess the metal block would have a good thermal mass and absorb heat - but then it has to go somewhere after! Mine seems to run quite cool - but then again I don't hammer video or games.

Comment

Originally posted by Trhuster View Post
            This was good reading! I agree about ventilation, think i gonna do some cutouts to mine so heat can come out.

PS! This quote is from Minix about that metal plate:

"X7's cooling is way better than those sticks.
            It has heatsink on cpu and ram. It also has a piece of metal on top of the case to help absorbing and dissipating heat."

I don't think it is a very good solution, mabey if case was made of aluminum.
            the same cpu has been using on some plastic tablets without any heatsink at all with additional heat source such as the battery and the LCD backlit panel,
            is it really necessary to think about adding this and that extra to such a mobile processor which is capable to run on much worse environment??

Comment

Originally posted by kenofstephen View Post
              the same cpu has been using on some plastic tablets without any heatsink at all with additional heat source such as the battery and the LCD backlit panel,
              is it really necessary to think about adding this and that extra to such a mobile processor which is capable to run on much worse environment??

I think it is fine without modding. But it is never a bad thing to letting out some of the heat. I removed case and run 3dmark 3 times in row and measured temp, it was 45c (113f). Not that high with case off imo. Think i gonna drills some holes in case anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kenofstephen View Post
                For normal usage the X7's cooling should be more than efficient I think!

Some people on this forum like to put huge heatsinks and even fans on their sticks. Probably to overclock it to extreme frequencies in combination with overvolting.

I've tried overclocking my T428 without extra cooling up to relatively high frequencies. It got quite hot, but that didn't seem to have any negative impact. The operating frequency of the RK3188 is up to 75c I believe.

But if some people really want to improve heat dissipation, drilling some holes in the top would be an option. It's not something I would want to do personally though.

Adding a fan is the last thing I would want to do. I like these android sticks / boxes exactly because they do not make any noise! But everybody has his/her own preferences of course...

Comment

Thanks for the review phjanderson
                  I'm looking to get one of these as a HTPC and its on top of my comparison list.

Comment

heatsink airlow. Finding the right level of heatsink airflow is a crucial element to designing an efficient and functional thermal strategy for any electronics component today.
                    Minix Fail!

Anyway
                    These days.. you can buy really silent fans...
                    And I use them.. in hopes of getting a longer life span.. and a more stable system (not to oc)

Ps.. could you also review the ugoos ut1 (just a thought)

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                      heatsink airlow. Finding the right level of heatsink airflow is a crucial element to designing an efficient and functional thermal strategy for any electronics component today.
                      Minix Fail!

Anyway
                      These days.. you can buy really silent fans...
                      And I use them.. in hopes of getting a longer life span.. and a more stable system (not to oc)

Ps.. could you also review the ugoos ut1 (just a thought)
                      These devices really don't need fans at normal operating frequencies, so I wouldn't call it a "fail". The unit remains very cool with stock frequencies.

If you're a die hard overclocker, you might have different demands of course, but that's not what it's designed for.

I personally would NOT want any fan in these devices.

Comment

Originally posted by phjanderson View Post
                        These devices really don't need fans at normal operating frequencies, so I wouldn't call it a "fail". The unit remains very cool with stock frequencies.

If you're a die hard overclocker, you might have different demands of course, but that's not what it's designed for.

I personally would NOT want any fan in these devices.
                        I feel the same way about fans. That was one of the reasons for selecting the X7 over a stick. So far even after playing videos for an hour (YouTube, etc) the unit is no warmer than the ambient air.

Comment

The 4-pin J1, is it serial console ?

Comment

wow minix neo x7 looks awesome on the inside. Unfortunately it's too expensive

Comment

actually, a rubberized fan with a few low lighted led's would make the device quite a catcher.

The fans in the size of the device itself are noiseless, at least under 800rpm, and they all have controllers nowadays. I can see a good MOD, a fan inbetween the device and the bottom plastic, but something that wouldnt destroy the cosmetics.

Now that i talk "challenge", the LED indicator in the X7 sucks -_-, it's the worst choice of colour one can have, it's barely visible, now imagine connecting the lightning effect on the LED's of the FAN, i can see a colourful device hanging around near the TV, colour therapy as well :P.

EDIT: was just shamed down by a mate, gave me the idea to fit the device on a desktop PSU, quite a good idea imo

Comment

Working...
                              X