Inside the Minix Neo X7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pluto View Post
    actually, a rubberized fan with a few low lighted led's would make the device quite a catcher.

The fans in the size of the device itself are noiseless, at least under 800rpm, and they all have controllers nowadays. I can see a good MOD, a fan inbetween the device and the bottom plastic, but something that wouldnt destroy the cosmetics.

Now that i talk "challenge", the LED indicator in the X7 sucks -_-, it's the worst choice of colour one can have, it's barely visible, now imagine connecting the lightning effect on the LED's of the FAN, i can see a colourful device hanging around near the TV, colour therapy as well :P.
    Well, I just ordered a cs968 because it's much cheaper with more usb ports an A/V port and a camera
    Last edited by convict; 10-16-2013, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by convict View Post
      Well, I just ordered a cs968 because it's much cheaper with more usb ports an A/V port and a camera
      you get what you paid.

Comment

Originally posted by kenofstephen View Post
        you get what you paid.
        If it sucks I'll sell it and buy an X7 or a tv box with an amlogic m8, but I believe that CS968 will be ok. Trully the quality of the minix neo x7 is great, but as I said on a previous post, it' s too expensive

Comment

Originally posted by convict View Post
          If it sucks I'll sell it and buy an X7 or a tv box with an amlogic m8, but I believe that CS968 will be ok. Trully the quality of the minix neo x7 is great, but as I said on a previous post, it' s too expensive
          I know it is 50$ more than other similar devices, but minix X7 official support is a way better than other devices, they release a lot of official roms, they released his kernel sources, so there is a lot of support in customs kernels&rom and inclusive in Linux, 16 gb of storage, I dindt see a lot of complains about their included power supply (the only one who released his device with 3A PSU), etc...
          All this cost money, I dont want to say to anyone must buy a X7, everyone has to buy the device who better fits his specs. I dont have the X7 but for me is the most complete device in market actually.
          REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
          My devices:
          Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
          MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
          Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
          Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
          Gearbest.com)
          MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
          Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
          Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

I can't say anything about the CS968, might be a good device as well and cheaper indeed!

I wouldn't want a camera built in like that though, how on earth are you going to point that in the right direction at the right height? Ah, I see they provided a stand with a suction cup, that looks kind of awkward. My C510 webcam is on top of my TV, on the right height and easy to adjust

I previously bought a Rikomagic MK802III (old dual core) and later on a Tronsmart T428. The difference in support is very obvious. Rikomagic still provides updates for the old dual core, Tronsmart hasn't provided an update for ages (and their current rom is awful)!

Minix also provided frequent updates and their roms are pretty good. So that is definitely something to look at when purchasing any device.

The X7 is a real pleasure to use compared to the T428. It has a proper standby mode, proper BT range to use my BT keyboard, powerful PSU, etc etc.

The biggest flaw of the X7 must be it's blue power led, which is barely visible. But I really can't be bothered by that
            Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

Sorry for the offtopic question ..

Code:
              [COLOR=#333333]The biggest flaw of the X7 must be it's blue power led, which is barely visible. But I really can't be bothered by that [/COLOR];)

My device MINIX neo X7 don't have a blue LED ... is it a fake Minix ?
              The device is 1 month old.

Kind regards,
              Cristallx

Comment

Originally posted by Cristallx View Post
                Sorry for the offtopic question ..

Code:
                [COLOR=#333333]The biggest flaw of the X7 must be it's blue power led, which is barely visible. But I really can't be bothered by that [/COLOR];)

My device MINIX neo X7 don't have a blue LED ... is it a fake Minix ?
                The device is 1 month old.

Kind regards,
                Cristallx

The blue led is behind the plastic casing, invisible from the outside. Try turning all your lights off, you will see a dim blue glow on the front right side. It will blink when on standby.
                Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by phjanderson View Post
                  The blue led is behind the plastic casing, invisible from the outside. Try turning all your lights off, you will see a dim blue glow on the front right side. It will blink when on standby.
                  Thanks for the reply. I just check it but no blue LED here ... or it is a newer version without blue LED or its a fake. Are there more users with no blue LED ???

Cristallx

Comment

Originally posted by Cristallx View Post
                    Thanks for the reply. I just check it but no blue LED here ... or it is a newer version without blue LED or its a fake. Are there more users with no blue LED ???

Cristallx
                    Did you open the case to inspect the led directly? How about the genuineness of your device?

If you want to be sure about the blue power led and the genuineness of your device, you can very easily open the cover using a credit card and have a look inside.

Don't be intimidated by looking at the dismantling pictures in the first post. You do not have to dismantle your device. All you have to do is open only the cover, as seen in the first picture. The cover can be safely removed in 10 or 20 seconds using a credit card. By just opening the cover, you cannot cause any kind of damage to the case or the device (unless you use a hammer).

You do not have to remove the antenna or its connector to open the cover and if you just want to inspect the led directly and nothing else, you do not have to unscrew and remove the PCB as seen in the pictures in the first post.

I suggest using a credit card, or a couple of them, instead of the small flat tip screwdrivers suggested in the first post. You will not cause any damage or any visible scratching by using a credit card. You could start inserting the credit card anywhere, but the easiest point is near the two USB ports, where the case is more flexible because of the openings.

As far as the genuineness of your device is concerned, if you are willing to unscrew the five small Philips screws that hold the PCB in place, you can turn it upside down and compare the PCB with the reference photos in the first post.

I ordered my Minix Neo X7 in early August. It was shipped in middle August and received in late August. It has PCB:VER2.0 with minor changes compared to the PCB:VER1.0 as seen in the first post.

Comment

Loko ... Thanks for your suggestions

So I have the minix once opened and just checked. There is indeed a blue LED, but it do not work. For the rest I can see some other numbers on the parts. But I do not know if this make any difference. It is PCB: Ver2.0 too.

Here some pics,

Comment

Just one question, What is the rated speed for the ram chips from minix x7? It is 667mhz?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cyberzeed View Post
                          Just one question, What is the rated speed for the ram chips from minix x7? It is 667mhz?

Thanks
                          No clue, on the chips is:
                          256x16ddr3 wt

Most of these 3188 devices have DDR3 1333mhz, which is 667x2 indeed.

Comment

Got my X7 Wednesday, I have had it for four days and I have already invalidated the warranty.

Opened it up folowing the instructions and the case has a thinned out circle where the led is, from inside the case I inserted a scalpel blade and twisted it until I made a small hole in the front, about 1millimetre.

Comment

I did that too. It is convenient to see if the minix is on, off or stdby looking at the light. Instead of the indentation they could have made it translucent.

Comment

metal plate is to add a little waight to the box doh

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                                Interesting on the auto power on jumper. Makes me wonder based on some reports if this is missing for some people that have power off issues and dont see the boot anmation on power up (like it reboots in sleep mode).

The metal square I bet might be for EME/RF reasons?

Bob

The metal plate is to add a little weight to the box so it not pulled about easy

Comment

Working...
                                X