X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M8S (M8 V1_1) - Un-bricking and OpenElec

Hello all,

I have an OTT M8S with M8 V1_1 noted on the motherboard

I had it running on the stock Android 4.4 firmware, decided to follow a YouTube guide on installing OpenElec and it has bricked my box.

Now, when power is connected, no activity and no blue light.

I found this useful post and was planning to try this next: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...rrect-firmware

One issue is I don't have an SD Card reader on my PC - or a USB to USB cable.

Before I go and get one is there any method of un-bricking and flashing via a USB stick without loosing the WIFI?

Thank you

Scoobs

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	707311

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	707312

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	707313

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	707314

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	707315
    Attached Files

In case this helps anyone else, I was able to un-brick my box by:

Using an SD Card
    Downloading the Stock (Android 4.4) firmware for my box from this URL: https://mega.nz/#!jx4jTBwQ!dWJmjB9NT...YD_hXDyFThv66o
    Downloading the Amlogic SD BurnCardMaker tool from here: https://www.chinagadgetsreviews.com/...er-v2-0-2.html

Extract the Stock Firmware zip into a folder (You might want to shortern the folder name as the BurnCardMaker app doesn't like the long name it gets as standard)
    Extract and run BurnCardMaker
    When prompted for a .bin file, browse and select the .bin file in your extracted Firmware folder
    Run and when you get the success message, close the BurnCardMaker app
    Copy all of the files located in your extracted Firmware folder onto the root of your SD card

Unplug your M8S
    Put the SD card into your M8S
    Using a non-metal object to push into the AV hole where the reset switch is inside.
    Push the object down and holding, connect the power

It should start displaying some logos - at this point you can remove the object from the AV hole

Keep an eye on the progress - from memory it went through an Android update process and then rebooted

As soon as it reboots, remove the SD card from the M8S and let is boot up
    It'll install some apps and then allow you to set it up

So I'm back where I started - the stock firmware is not great and the remote buttons are not mapped properly

Will try and get OpenElec on again

Comment

Boom. Done. Easy

Grabbed the image: OpenELEC-Amlogic.arm-M8S-5.95.3.3-update.zip from here: https://mega.nz/#F!W0Qk2JIQ!P1iyw7dF...-i1lA!GhxWHIKC
      Stuck it on my SD
      Followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuBQEGTpP4

Done. It installs Kodi V15 - may try a newer version at some point

Comment

Hello

i have M8S with s812+_V1.0 board

I need fw that has no problems with wifi, ethernet or remote.

has anyone got such firmware ?

thanks
        ​​​​​​

Kind regards,
        Mensur
        Last edited by kidjej; 02-19-2018, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by kidjej View Post
          Hello

i have M8S with s812+_V1.0 board

I need fw that has no problems with wifi, ethernet or remote.

has anyone got such firmware ?

thanks
          ​​​​​​

Kind regards,
          Mensur
          Hi Mensur,

Just to clarify - do you have an M8S box or M8S+?
          Does your board model number say V1_0?

What you need to do is to find the STOCK Android firmware for your box and to use this in the recovery process I posted:

Using an SD Card
          Downloading the Stock (Android 4.4) firmware for my box Replace this with your firmware
          Downloading the Amlogic SD BurnCardMaker tool from here: https://www.chinagadgetsreviews.com/...er-v2-0-2.html

Extract the Stock Firmware zip into a folder (You might want to shortern the folder name as the BurnCardMaker app doesn't like the long name it gets as standard)
          Extract and run BurnCardMaker
          When prompted for a .bin file, browse and select the .bin file in your extracted Firmware folder
          Run and when you get the success message, close the BurnCardMaker app
          Copy all of the files located in your extracted Firmware folder onto the root of your SD card

Unplug your M8S
          Put the SD card into your M8S
          Using a non-metal object to push into the AV hole where the reset switch is inside.
          Push the object down and holding, connect the power

It should start displaying some logos - at this point you can remove the object from the AV hole

Keep an eye on the progress - from memory it went through an Android update process and then rebooted

Regards

Scoobs

Comment

thank you scooby81 a lot

member big11 sent me the lijnk of the stock firmware 4.4 and everything works like a charm. this way I thank him.

is there any newer firmware version for this box, M8S, like 5.1 lollipop or 6.0

thank you
            Last edited by kidjej; 02-22-2018, 10:28.

Comment

Hello again

I messed up and bricked again and I have tried to recover my M8S again but I cannot hit the right pin to get connection. Some pins cause the light change from red to blue, but I get no connrction. Tried both methods, via sd card and via USB burning tool.

Any advice or suggestion?

Regards

Comment

Working...
              X