• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of View (Bluetooth version) from Maplin

Hi guys,

I got this device:

Point of View Smart TV

Annoyingly this listing is for the standard version (non-Bluetooth) but when I picked mine up from Maplin it turned out to be the version with a built-in Bluetooth (full part number TV-HDMI-200BT V1.0.) Nice surprise I guess but I wonder if there's a mixture of stock in the stores so be careful!

Anyway, as plenty of other people have pointed out the POV firmware is rubbish. Some of the apps I have from my Nexus 7 either don't work or have blank video Thankfully there are forums like this to give me hope

I got hold of POV's firmware update tool (standard RKBatchTool.exe) and went through the steps but substituted for the latest RK802IIIS firmware (marked for the IIIS 4G & 8G) and wow! much better, all my apps work okay now

Unfortunately, one small problem: the Bluetooth isn't showing up any more If it comes to it I'll just substitute the supplied Bluetooth keyboard which is a bit meh anyway but it'd be nice to get it running as all the branding matches

So, I eyeballed the RK802IIISB firmware and wondered if the 'B' was for Bluetooth. It also says it's for the 8G version and I'm pretty sure the POVs (either model) are only 4G.

Should I try the RK802IIISB anyway? Could it brick my device? Any custom ROM some kind person would like to recommend for the POV?

Thanks for your time.

Andy
    Last edited by POSitality; 08-30-2013, 11:37. Reason: Clarity

Best firmware for Maplin Point of View Smart HDMI device

I take it no one's tinkering with the Maplin PoV device

Anyhoo... I took the plunge and tried the image from here:

MK802IIIS8B v4.2

So, even though mine is marked at 4GB this image works fine and now I have Bluetooth and Ethernet support (Ethernet would require a compatible USB device I assume.)

So, if you have bought a Point of View from Maplin and it's the Bluetooth one go for the 'B' version

If you have the non-bluetooth version I would suggest just the MK802IIIS4G/8G but obviously I haven't tested this.

Also, my version does have a small reset hole on the side for the "press and plug in" trick. This works fine with the standard flash program. If you're already booted then the stock firmware can be "switched" live to update mode. If you're running RikoMagic already remember to check the "Connect to PC" option under USB settings for the "switch" to work.

Best Regards,

Andy

Comment

Working...
    X