V-media VBOX4+ Help Root?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-media VBOX4+ Help Root?

I was trying to turn my VBOX4+ into some more useful, but wasn't able to root it, or flash it with Lollipop, or install Linux on it.
    I tried several recovery images but usually get stuck at "Footer is wrong", "Signature verification failed".

For those that don't know, V-media is a Canadian ISP and also offers IPTV services. The VBOX4+ just happens to be the Android box they use to deliver their TV services.
    I'm trying to get more information about their VBOX4+ so I can turn it into something useful and perhaps keep this thread open for others to get more info on this box as well.

Here's all the information I currently know about this box, and some images of the board. From what I see so far, maybe it's a m201 reference board?
    • SOC: Amlogic S805
    • CPU: Quad Core, 1.5GHz
    • RAM: 1GB DDR3
    • eMMC: 8GB
    • 2x USB ports
    • MicroSD card slot
    • RJ45 ethernet port
    • HDMI 1.4 port
    • IR & 2.4/5.0 GHz reception
    • DC 5V input
    • Built-in Wi-Fi (dual-band 2.4/5.0 GHz)
    • Built-in Bluetooth

Other than this, the current firmware installed may be useful
    • Android version: 4.4.2
    • Kernel version: Linux version 3.10.33 (Fri Mar 11 19:12:44 CST 2016)
    • Build number: VBOX_M805_1.0.0.36_20161216.142251 (version 1.9.352)

I just want to install some generic Android or Linux OS on this device, any help would be great! If I find any more information, like link to stock ROM image, I'll post it here.

Edit: I got in touch with VMedia support and they sent me the latest stock ROM: Quad _firmware_1.9.373_Sep122017.zip (355MB)
    https://we.tl/jLHA9bA0Xp (version 1.9.373)
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by pnvnd; 03-04-2018, 16:29.

After upgrading the firmware to the latest version that VMedia support gave me (Quad _firmware_1.9.373_Sep122017.zip), the VBOX4+ now has the following:
    • Android version: 4.4.2
    • Kernel version: Linux version 3.10.33 (Tue Sep 12 10:02:45 CST 2017)
    • Build number: VBOX_M805_1.0.0.9_20170912.095832 (version 1.9.373)
    Their link may expire, so I re-uploaded to my Google Drive here:
    Quad _firmware_1.9.373_Sep122017.zip (355 MB)

Comment

I can't seem to access the internal storage. I tried some other recovery images and it just shows internal storage 0MB. If I can get Linux installed on the internal storage or any other stock Android ROM, that would solve my problem. Otherwise, the internal storage right now is stuck with the IPTV ROM.

I was able to install Linux on the microSD card, but was not able to move it over to the internal storage, the OS doesn't even see it! Not sure what else to do now...

Comment

Hi,

Did you succeed to root your vmedia device ?

Comment

Originally posted by lleduc View Post
          Hi,

Did you succeed to root your vmedia device ?
          Nope, still not able to root or wipe out internal memory. It currently runs Linux from the microSD card, and it's very slow.

Comment

buying that media box for more than 100$ dollars and we are stuck with it !! we should all contact the CRTC for complaint about that !!!

Thanks for your quick response..

Comment

Working...
            X