SD card with a tendency to corrupt files under Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD card with a tendency to corrupt files under Android

Hello. My ADATA 64GB SD card entered "happy haunting grounds" (permanent read only mode) so I exchanged it with Kingston 32GB.
    After some time of use I have observed weird issues - random files gets corrupted. I have spotted only mp3 files that corrupts, because I have crc sums for each mp3 file. Android doesn't give me any errors and I can't confirm if other files get corrupted as well (for example images). For example I have also an apk archive of apps I am using, these are (apk) packed with zip method and none of these files get corrupted.
    My phone has only 2GB of data so I am using Link2SD to have more space for apps. SD card is divided half - 16GB FAT32 and 16GB EXT2 (for Link2SD).
    Mp3s are placed only on FAT32 partition (as apk archive).
    If I test SD card with HDDScan (Erase or Surface tests) or h2testw it always pass.
    I am sure I didn't have these problems with ADATA.
    I am using swappiness set to 10. Can this be a reason for corruptions? Or maybe the fact of EXT2 on second partition?

Originally posted by zygd View Post
    Hello. My ADATA 64GB SD card entered "happy haunting grounds" (permanent read only mode) so I exchanged it with Kingston 32GB.
    After some time of use I have observed weird issues - random files gets corrupted. I have spotted only mp3 files that corrupts, because I have crc sums for each mp3 file. Android doesn't give me any errors and I can't confirm if other files get corrupted as well (for example images). For example I have also an apk archive of apps I am using, these are (apk) packed with zip method and none of these files get corrupted.
    My phone has only 2GB of data so I am using Link2SD to have more space for apps. SD card is divided half - 16GB FAT32 and 16GB EXT2 (for Link2SD).
    Mp3s are placed only on FAT32 partition (as apk archive).
    If I test SD card with HDDScan (Erase or Surface tests) or h2testw it always pass.
    I am sure I didn't have these problems with ADATA.
    I am using swappiness set to 10. Can this be a reason for corruptions? Or maybe the fact of EXT2 on second partition?
    Hi ,

did you named it while format ??? example "SDCARD" .

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Card was named SDEXT1 (due to Link2SD naming the other partition link to SDEXT2).
      I wasn't precise earlier about spotting corruptions with crc sums. AIMP player just started one day to play mp3 with weird artifacts so I have checked crc of files to discover random mp3 got corrupted. Some of them I was playing with AIMP, some has naver been played.
      With ADATA card i was using Link2SD 4.0.13 or lower. On Kingston I have started with 4.0.13 but later I have updated to higher version (4.2.2 now). I have discovered issues after that.
      Beetween 4.0 - 4.1 version author of Link2SD made some bugfixes which forced users to recreate mounting scripts and manually rebound folders. Without that steps Link2SD had issues with own configuration. Author noticed about it in changelog (due to range of fixes). But I don't really know if Link2SD is a culprit here.

Anyway, for now, i removed mounts and removed Link2SD completely and set swappiness to default 60. I will check later if this helped or not. Before that steps (and post here) I repaired all mp3 files and they randomly broke again so it wasn't one time problem. Maybe the card is just damaged somehow in specific way. Or maybe my phone got damage and is a culprit here.

Comment

Working...
      X