Auto charging an old smartphone tethered to a USB (data+power) port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto charging an old smartphone tethered to a USB (data+power) port

I have an old Android smartphone that I no longer use. Perhaps, its battery isn't in a top condition, too. So, I was thinking to use it for something else, i.e. as a USB network gadget to a Linux embedded computer to serve some applications over a LAN. To do this, my smartphone has to be always connected (tethered) to one of the USB ports on a Linux embedded computer. Since I am dealing with an old smartphone (probably with an already degraded Li-ION battery) that is always connected to a USB (data+power) port, I would like to configure my old smartphone to auto recharge its battery when its power drops below 15% and then automatically stop charging once the battery is fully charged. Is this possible?

Hello,

Interesting Question but from first view no it will not work. When you connect your power cord to the phone it will charge, always.

But when I read correct you connect it to an little Linux computer maybe you can get what you want with some magic .

So on your phone use Tasker to read out battery stage. When it reach 15% Tasker can call an URL that is on an esp8266.
    the esp8266 can now switch on an relay an charge your phone.
    When it has 100% charge Tasker can call the URL again and switch off the charging.

Neomode

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
      So on your phone use Tasker to read out battery stage. When it reach 15% Tasker can call an URL that is on an esp8266.
      the esp8266 can now switch on an relay an charge your phone.
      When it has 100% charge Tasker can call the URL again and switch off the charging.
      Is Tasker a 3-rd party application I have to install?

Comment

Or you can use an OTG power Y cable and not mess with any apps. I have one, just plug your charger into the female USB connector and plug the male USB into computer while the y adapter is connected to your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by X92-2GB View Post
          Or you can use an OTG power Y cable and not mess with any apps. I have one, just plug your charger into the female USB connector and plug the male USB into computer while the y adapter is connected to your phone.
          I am not sure if you are aware that I intend to have my old Android phone always plugged into the USB port and use it as a network gadget to share among computers on my LAN. As such, this will drain the battery capacity and am hoping the battery will automatically gets charged once its capacity drops below 15% and automatically stop the charge once its capacity reaches 100%. Will your suggestion above works as I described above?

Comment

Originally posted by Habibie View Post

I am not sure if you are aware that I intend to have my old Android phone always plugged into the USB port and use it as a network gadget to share among computers on my LAN. As such, this will drain the battery capacity and am hoping the battery will automatically gets charged once its capacity drops below 15% and automatically stop the charge once its capacity reaches 100%. Will your suggestion above works as I described above?
            All phones do that automatically, unless there is a hardware fault... then no app will work without some issues.

The power y data cable has data pass through with a power pigtail. It is made to do USB data transfers, and charge the phone. I don't see why it won't work, as that is what it is made for.

It's like the HDML adapter I have. It powers the smart phone while allowing data pass through for sending A/V data though my USB connection.

Comment

All phones do that automatically, unless there is a hardware fault... then no app will work without some issues.

The power y data cable has data pass through with a power pigtail. It is made to do USB data transfers, and charge the phone. I don't see why it won't work, as that is what it is made for.

It's like the HDML adapter I have. It powers the smart phone while allowing data pass through for sending A/V data though my USB connection.
              When you said the power y data cable, did you the USB cable that comes with the smartphone that can be used to charge the phone and/or to up/download data to/from a computer connected to the smartphone?

Comment

Originally posted by Habibie View Post

When you said the power y data cable, did you the USB cable that comes with the smartphone that can be used to charge the phone and/or to up/download data to/from a computer connected to the smartphone?
                An OTG Y-adapter with power... I figure it would be common term for peeps, being it is easily searched on amazon or other sites. Y adapter usually are for sharing power, but with OTG being key, it is only to power the hand held device while the same USB connection is connected for data transfer.

Comment

An OTG Y-adapter with power... I figure it would be common term for peeps, being it is easily searched on amazon or other sites. Y adapter usually are for sharing power, but with OTG being key, it is only to power the hand held device while the same USB connection is connected for data transfer.
                  Sorry, I reckon you have lost me here. If I had my old smartphone connected to a USB port on my Linux device using its accompanied USB cable, don't you think it will get connected with both data and power? If so, why would I want to waste $$$ on such an OTG Y adapter?

Comment

Working...
                  X