Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adb

I need to study up on this stuff.

As far as the ADB, is it necessary to do the phone.apk mod that is in the sticky? I want to get rid of that cel drain.

Comment

You dont have to but it is wise to do it through ADB

The first one I did it on I used root explorer on the phone and needed some very fast fingering to get past the constant force close messages that started streaming. After the reboot all was well and the phone is off. Doing it with the above commands through ADB allowed me to do it with minimal fuss by just issuing a reboot command right in the adb shell. The only hard part with this was getting the debug drivers installed, but that was easily accomplished through superoneclick. See post #9 here:

Comment

Root Explorer Method

If you rename phone.apk using the root explorer method to get past the force close loop all you have to do is hold down the power button on the side for about 15 - 30 seconds and it will power off. Then boot back up and your good. I've tested this twice and worked both times.

Comment

done

love this site.

Comment

Closer to full resolution

Alright so renaming phone.apk to phone.old seems to help with the battery issues but what has been annoying me quite alot is the cell signal meter still at the top and the space it takes.

Well I've made progress on seeing the cell status bar. In /system/app there's a systemui.apk and if you decompress that with 7-zip there's a folder in there /res/drawable-mdpi that has the icons for the system bar. If you find and delete the ones for the cell status then re-zip the files and rename the zip file to systemui.apk and replace in /system/app with rw-r--r-- permission it will remove the icon from view. The space it took however is still there. ***WARNING replacing the systemui.apk can and has for me resulted in another force close loop. ADB work is recommended.

Going forward to clear the space I believe will require some xml editing of the xml files in the apk which may mean that editing the xml's alone will get rid of it without having to get rid of the png image files for it. Hope someone else can improve where I left off.

p.s. attached is my modified SystemUI.apk
            Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Drywall.

Thanks for looking into this. It has been bothering me as well and I was wondering how to customize the status bar icons.

Heading in the right direction.
              Biglots 701c
              Rooted - Super 1 Click
              Updated Google Play Store
              Phone.old
              SystemUi.apk Mod - Status Bar

Comment

Got another option

Instead of deleting the PNG file, we should just edit it to be a darkstar logo

Comment

well

I did the phone.apk mod and afterwards the tablet was restarting like crazy. Couldn't use it for more than a few minutes and it would restart. Then after every restart the wifi would give me an error and would need another restart to get wifi back. So I undid the change and seems back to normal. I can't remember if I got the wifi error before the phone.apk change or not but seemed to stop doing that once I undid that change. Not sure at all what would cause this and if the wifi error was a separate issue. I can't wait till there is a custom rom. I think this thing is going to be incredible.

Comment

Well I am not a graphic artist, but for a quick 5 minute job it wasnt bad. Team DarkStar has made a mark.

Download, copy to sdcard on the tablet, use RootExplorer to copy over (or your favorite ADB connection) and then hit the power button for 20-30 seconds to shutdown and restart or just issue the command in ADB. The only one I changed was the bars with the x so if you do not have the cell usage mod going your results may vary.

Oh and I was able to edit it straight from winrar, didnt even need to unpack it, just resave when I was done
                    Attached Files

Comment

He He He

Click image for larger version

Name:	DarkStarCommeth.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	428850Time to make our mark, real artists feel free to improve

Comment

No Ill Effects with the RESET Button HERE So Far!

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
                        System/App/Phone.APK, yep that is the file I changed to Phone.OLD. Finless mentioned doing this in the Sticky. I noticed in the sticky that N4RPS had just posted that he tried that as well and hit the reset button to escape instead so we do have a test case for this, just not sure what the result is. I sent him a PM to get clarification on what happened when he did. Hopefully it just reset and didn't do some kind of data wipe.
                        No, no apparent abnormalities noted here, but based on Bob's comments, I don't plan on making my use of it a habit.

73 De N4RPS
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                          EXACTLY! Anyone wanting to play on ROMs and stuff, in the end get ADB working. It's not that hard and in fact I have a way to give you the ADB command tool without installing the entire SDK or the Java JRE .

Bob
                          I have already installed the SDK, but would be interested in knowing how to add ADB without it. I used PDANet to install the ADB drivers to the tablet, then uninstalled PDANet from both tablet and PC afterwards.

73 DE N4RPS
                          Rob

Comment

Nice sabercatpuck, way to customize

I just made it a black box so it won't show and re zipped it>copied to SD card>used root explorer to copy over and did a reboot by holding the power button and gone!

Screen shot attached and my SystemUi.APK for anyone who just wants to get rid of the x and signal bars. Always back up the original first.

I also had a look at the xml files for the status bar layout and those are NOT xml files. Open one in notepad to see. Not sure what that is but I was hoping to close the gap that the icon took.

Keep up the good work all. With the support of this group this $99 tablet just became a whole lot better.

My Polaroid
                            Rooted with Super 1 Click
                            Latest Google Play
                            Phone.apk renamed to phone.old
                            SystemUi.apk mod in place
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MasterR; 04-05-2012, 15:12.
                            Biglots 701c
                            Rooted - Super 1 Click
                            Updated Google Play Store
                            Phone.old
                            SystemUi.apk Mod - Status Bar

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                              I have already installed the SDK, but would be interested in knowing how to add ADB without it. I used PDANet to install the ADB drivers to the tablet, then uninstalled PDANet from both tablet and PC afterwards.

73 DE N4RPS
                              Rob
                              Here is a download of minimal ADB stuff.

http://video.freaktab.com/?subpath=f...lename=adb.zip

Put this in any folder on any drive you like. You will open a CMD windows to this directyory to use ADB commands from here.

Now only thing you also have to do is add the folder .android to your "user directory". So for instance Windows 7, create a folder called .android in c:\users\YOUR USER NAME\.android

Now since the Arnova was unknown to ADB I had to put a new file in .android called adb_usb.ini and in this I had to put the HEX ID of my tablet so in adb_usb.ini I put in 0x0e79. Not sure if you guys will need to do this for your tablet.

Also check out this COOL ADB graphical UI program!

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-A-GUI-for-ADB!

Bob
                              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                                Here is a download of minimal ADB stuff.

http://video.freaktab.com/?subpath=f...lename=adb.zip

Put this in any folder on any drive you like. You will open a CMD windows to this directyory to use ADB commands from here.

Now only thing you also have to do is add the folder .android to your "user directory". So for instance Windows 7, create a folder called .android in c:\users\YOUR USER NAME\.android

Now since the Arnova was unknown to ADB I had to put a new file in .android called adb_usb.ini and in this I had to put the HEX ID of my tablet so in adb_usb.ini I put in 0x0e79. Not sure if you guys will need to do this for your tablet.

Also check out this COOL ADB graphical UI program!

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-A-GUI-for-ADB!

Bob
                                File does not exist please contact the systems administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X