Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M96X - Distorted video

Hi,

Bought an M96X to replace the dead T95M I told you about in another post.

The M96X does what I need and generally does it better than the T95M. However, sometimes, when I'm streaming videos from Youtube (official app), at some point the image gets distorted like the image below. The Youtube overlays (menus, playback controls, progress bar...) show up perfectly, which tells me it's not a problem in my TV or in the HDMI connection. The audio also keeps playing correctly when it happens.

I'm still trying to identify a pattern. I think the problem comes up at specific points in specific videos. However, sometimes I restart the box and play the same video again, with no problems. I can also watch the same video in my PC (via browser) with no problems.

It happens in the "standard" Youtube screen (video at the top left with comments below and suggestions on the right) and in full screen too (like in the picture below).

It doesn't happen in Kodi, as far as I know, while streaming videos from a NAS (tried some mp4's and DVD ISO's).

The Youtube app that came in the box was a different one and would not go into immersive mode, so I replaced it with the official one on the first day and can't tell if it had the same issue. The Kodi app that came in the box looks like it's the official one already.

I tried to play a bit with the video resolution but reached no conclusion.

Could it be a wi-fi issue? I have an external adapter I could try.

Should I be concerned that the box may die or otherwise become unusable? I still have a few days to return it. The way it is now, it's a bit annoying, but I can live with it. I actually like it a lot (and a lot more than the T95M), my only gripe is this Youtube issue.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

VMat

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180909_154446.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	744037

A bit more info:
    1. I've just updated the Youtube app, but the problem persists.
    2. There's one particular video that I know is troublesome. I noticed I can start the app and watch it perfectly. If I switch to another video, then go back to this one, the issue comes up. After that, I can watch several videos, even go to the home screen and back to the app, but if I go back to this video, the problem persists. It's like there's some cached information that is causing the distortion. If I go to the home screen, clear the memory (task killer app?) and re-open Youtube, I can watch the video again.
    3. Today I tried one of those streaming add-ons in Kodi (are they legal???), just one movie, let it roll for 5-10min, the image was perfect.

No one else has seen this problem before? I'm thinking it could be something related to the codec used by Youtube. But then I guess a lot more people would have the same problem. Or something in this firmware that triggers the problem with that particular codec. Does it make sense at all?

Thanks,

VMat

Comment

Working...
    X