Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amlogic S922X Cortex A73/A53 Processor Benchmarked (CNX)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amlogic S922X Cortex A73/A53 Processor Benchmarked (CNX)

Amlogic S922X is an upcoming hexa-core processor with four Cortex A73 cores and Cortex-A53 cores mostly designed for devices running Android TV P, but it could also become potentially interesting for development boards and other products like Arm laptops.

There aren?t any products available for purchase, but some results appeared on Geekbench in recently showing Droidlogic galilei board with a 6-core processor from Amlogic which has to be Amlogic S922X processor. There?s also g12b_w400 with a 6-core processor from Amlogic, but that?s A311D.
    Amlogic S922X Benchmarks Click to Enlarge
    So Amlogic S922X benchmarks report 1212 points for the single-core score, and ?only? 3,133 points for the multi-core score. The base frequency in ?Droidlogic galilei? board is 1.80 GHz, but 1.90 GHz in g12b_w400 ?A311D? platforms. Strangely enough, the single core score is only 9xx in the latter. It?s very likely the maximum frequency drops when all four Cortex A73 cores are under loads, as the multi-core score does not scale. Amlogic S905X vs S922X Click to Enlarge
    Let?s compare those score to Amlogic S905X (Libre Computer AML-S905X-CC SBC), and there are significant improvements as expected. Amlogic S922X vs Rockchip RK3399 Click to Enlarge
    Comparing Amlogic S922X to Rockchip RK3399 is somewhat disappointing. The single-core score is the same, and that one should be expected since Cortex-A72 and Cortex-A73 are supposed to have the same performance, with the latter having better thermals, but the multi-core score is only slightly better despite S922X having four ?fast? cores against two ?fast? cores for RK3399.

Having said that I?d expect the scores for Amlogic S922X to somewhat improve since:
    1. 32-bit Android was used with S922X against 64-bit Android for RK3399
    2. Hardware accelerated AES for S922X is not ready yet, or there are some problems with the implementation as shown in the screenshot below.
    Amlogic S922X AES not working Click to Enlarge
    Nevertheless, the early results look good so far, and Amlogic S922X should be a promising platform competing against Rockchip RK3399 processor, and offering a significant upgrade compared to previous Amlogic processors. The CPU is only one part of modern SoC, so we?ll have to see how to GPU, and high-speed interfaces perform in the new SoC.

Via Stane1983 and Tkaiser
    Via CNXSOFT

treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

You'd think by now they'd have all the bugs worked out, but I guess not.

Comment

More 922 news
      ODROID-N2 Amlogic S922X SBC Coming in April for $63 and Up

Due to RAM supply issues, Hardkernel canceled RK3399 based ODROID-N1 board last year, and decided to replace it with ODROID-N2 using a ?newer SoC .. with faster CPU/GPU cores and native DDR4 support?, but they did not provide any details about the processor, and we speculated it could be the upcoming Amlogic S922X processor.

Hardkernel has now formally unveiled ODROID-N2, the first Amlogic S922X SBC to be announced, with 2 to 4GB DDR4 RAM, 4x USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI 2.0a video output up to 4K 60p and more.
      ODROID-N2 Click to Enlarge
      ODROID-N2 SBC specifications:
      • SoC ? Amlogic S922X hexa-core big.LITTLE processor with 4x Arm Cortex A73 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz, 2x Arm Cortex A53 cores @ 1.9 GHz, Arm Mali-G52 GPU @ 846MHz; 12nm manufacturing process
      • System Memory ? 2GB or 4GB DDR4 RAM @ 1320 MHz
      • Storage ? 8MB SPI flash, eMMC flash module socket, micro SD card slot
      • Video & Audio Output ? HDMI up to 4K @ 75 Hz, AV port (composite video + stereo audio)
      • USB ? 4x USB 3.0 ports, 1x micro USB 2.0 OTG port
      • Expansions ? 40-pin GPIO header with 2x I2C, UART, 6x PWM, SPI, S/PDIF, 2x ADC, and GPIOs
      • Misc ? 2x system LEDs, SPI/eMMC boot select switch, IR receiver, 2-pin header for RTC battery, 2-pin header for optional fan
      • Debugging ? 1x UART header for serial console
      • Power Supply ? DC power barrel jack
      • Power consumption ? Idle: 1.6~1.8 Watt; Heavy load: 5.2~5.3 Watt (stress-ng ?cpu 6 ?cpu-method matrixprod)
      • Dimensions ? 90 x 90 mm (TBC)
      ODROID-N2 Block Diagram Click to Enlarge
      The processor is placed on the bottom of the board, and a large heatsink covering the complete bottom side of the SBC ensures proper cooling.

The company will provide Ubuntu 18.04 LTS image with Linux kernel 4.9, as well as Android 9.0 Pie image and BSP for the board. Hardware accelerated video decoding is working in Ubuntu including 4K/UHD H.265 60fps, but Mali G52 GPU Linux driver only works on the framebuffer, as Arm has no plan to support X11 on Bitfrost GPU. A Linux Wayland driver will be released in a few months. The Wiki is already up, but still work in progress at this time.

We had already seen some Amlogic S922X CPU benchmarks (Geekbench), but Hardkernel ran more benchmarks involving GPU, USB, and storage, and performance is quite better than the one of ODROID-N1 with multi-core performance around 20% faster, the DDR4 RAM 35% faster, the Mali-G52MP6 around 10% faster, around 340MB/s USB 3.0 throughput, over 900 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Tx and Rx, and more.
      Amlogic S922X vs RK3399 Benchmarks Click to Enlarge
      The full details of the benchmarks can be found in the announcement linked in the introduction of this article. They also tested the board under load (with stress-ng) in a chamber set to 35?C, and the CPU temperature never exceeded 74?C.

The ODROID-N2 SBC will sell for $63 with 2GB RAM and $79 with 4GB RAM. I can already see some of you throwing bank notes at the screen shouting ?just take my money?, but you have to calm down because the board will only start shipping in April, and Hardkernel plans to start selling ODROID-N2 at the end of March.

Source CNXSOFT

treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Trebor, you did it to me again. I will have to start saving my pennies, cause I will be getting one.............

I hope you are getting a good commission for all the ** products ** you have sold me................................
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

• trebor
          trebor commented
          Editing a comment
          If you do buy from Links from withIn Freaktab it helps Freaktab,
          Sure sellers are more willing with samples, but they can justify/continue on with their Advertising, giveaways.etc.

Like yourself hooked on this stuff and like to post what I can find to create an interest, to keep it all happening...
          POWER to to box user

Thanks for the update on this S922 item. Looks promising and something I'd consider over a S905x2.

Comment

Good sirs,
          Is there any news that already exists on S922X DVB-S tuner?

Comment

Waiting for it

Comment

Originally posted by Venusflytrap View Post
              Thanks for the update on this S922 item. Looks promising and something I'd consider over a S905x2.

Why?

in what way is it better??

and still no google certification

Comment

will we see an Android TV rom for it and when can one realisticly expect to get this board?

Comment

Working...
                X