Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next7p12-g 4gb

Hi all

I have a Nextbook next7p12-g 4gb tablet.
    According to the box, it has an AMLogic CPU.
    Serial number starts with YF0813.

I anyone can point me in a direction on one (or more) of the following, it would be much appreciated:
    • where to get stock rom and check for updates?
    • any custom rom that would work on it?
    • any custom kernel that would work on it?

Reason why I ask for custom kernel, is because the stock kernel does not support firewall (ip tables or something like that).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Originally posted by rekenaar View Post
    Hi all

I have a Nextbook next7p12-g 4gb tablet.
    According to the box, it has an AMLogic CPU.
    Serial number starts with YF0813.

I anyone can point me in a direction on one (or more) of the following, it would be much appreciated:
    • where to get stock rom and check for updates?
    • any custom rom that would work on it?
    • any custom kernel that would work on it?

Reason why I ask for custom kernel, is because the stock kernel does not support firewall (ip tables or something like that).

Thanks a lot in advance.
    I posted a modified recovery and stock ROM and flashable root package for the Nextbook Next7P12-8G... the 8GB model. I believe they are exactly the same except for the memory size. If I recall correctly, one or more people reported that it worked on the Next7P12-4G 4GB model. Read the thread carefully to be sure. If you decide to try it, please post a response to the support thread for that ROM regarding your results.

I intend to release a stock ROM eventually... but unfortunately my development time is limited, and this model is not first on my list, as I don't own this model to perform testing.

I am doubtful, that I will be doing any custom kernel work, but who knows... keep an eye on the forums.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I could not find a definite conclusion in the 8gb thread if it works on the 4gb. Think I will ask in that thread.

If only here was a way to do a nandroid, then I would have tried it already. I saw your posts regarding TWRP, so I guess I will have to wait for that and hope it works on my device.

If I can manage to get a reliable backup/restore method, I would be willing to test anything from stock roms to custom roms on the 4gb model.

Thanks for your work and support. I will monitor the forums and be sure to contact me if you need anything from my model (which is rooted).

Comment

Any word on a stock rom for next7p12 4g

I'm stuck at the animation screen right before the os is done loading. It just freezes at that animation; is it called a boot loop? I can get into 3e recovery but ShaunMT's modified 3e will not pass the whole file signature verification with the 8gb stock rom.. When is there going to be a stock next7p12 4gb rom?? Can sombody dump this rom, so we can get it going? I know that there is ADB trouble with this device though..

thanks for everybody's hard work

Comment

Originally posted by micahj77 View Post
          I'm stuck at the animation screen right before the os is done loading. It just freezes at that animation; is it called a boot loop? I can get into 3e recovery but ShaunMT's modified 3e will not pass the whole file signature verification with the 8gb stock rom.. When is there going to be a stock next7p12 4gb rom?? Can sombody dump this rom, so we can get it going? I know that there is ADB trouble with this device though..

thanks for everybody's hard work
          If the boot animation is moving, then it's a bootloop. If it is not moving then it crashed or froze. If you can get into any recovery, try to wipe cache first if that doesn't fix it, try wiping data. You may have to wipe more than once.

I think I've got a Next7P12-4g dump here somewhere, I'll try to get it packaged and posted.

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
            If the boot animation is moving, then it's a bootloop. If it is not moving then it crashed or froze. If you can get into any recovery, try to wipe cache first if that doesn't fix it, try wiping data. You may have to wipe more than once.

I think I've got a Next7P12-4g dump here somewhere, I'll try to get it packaged and posted.

ShaunMT
            The animation stopped moving, so it must have crashed, but that would be cool if you could package the 4gb version

Oh, just for feedback prior to my tab crashing, the modified 3e and root update.zip worked!

Comment

ShaunMT
              When I wipe the media partition, I get:
              E:format_volume: fdisk.media failed on /dev/block/avnft18p1 (127)

Is that that normal?

Comment

When I wipe the media partition, I get:
                E:format_volume: fdisk.media failed on /dev/block/avnft18p1 (127)

Is that that normal?
                That is definitely not normal. How did your tablet end up in this status? Did you flash something you shouldn't have? What happened before it started crashing or bootlooping? Is the stock firmware still installed or did you flash something else?

Which recovery are using? The stock internal recovery, one of my modified recoveries, or something else that you flashed? Be specific please.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

That is definitely not normal. How did your tablet end up in this status? Did you flash something you shouldn't have? What happened before it started crashing or bootlooping? Is the stock firmware still installed or did you flash something else?

Which recovery are using? The stock internal recovery, one of my modified recoveries, or something else that you flashed? Be specific please.

ShaunMT
                  I'm using the modified 3e Recovery that you made for to flash the stock next7p12-8gb firmware.. I'm on the original firmware; I used the Kyser root-signed.zip to get root.. installed ChainsDD superuser and then I installed some software to change the boot logo.. I'm not sure what happened. I was messing around because I saw the post about the firmware for the next7p12-8gb firmware working, and I thought I could flash that if I hosed root. Which I did. I went to restore/factory reset and it worked once.. I saw the setup wizard; but I was talking to someone and got off track and rebooted it again and something went wrong.

Comment

I'm using the modified 3e Recovery that you made for to flash the stock next7p12-8gb firmware.. I'm on the original firmware; I used the Kyser root-signed.zip to get root.. installed ChainsDD superuser and then I installed some software to change the boot logo.. I'm not sure what happened. I was messing around because I saw the post about the firmware for the next7p12-8gb firmware working, and I thought I could flash that if I hosed root. Which I did. I went to restore/factory reset and it worked once.. I saw the setup wizard; but I was talking to someone and got off track and rebooted it again and something went wrong.
                    What software were you trying to use to change the boot logo? The boot logo's are embedded inside the firmware. The only thing that can be changed without flashing a modified ROM is the boot animation.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Possibly could it be the script in the recovery was made to format the media partition at 8gb and it only has 4?

Comment

Possibly could it be the script in the recovery was made to format the media partition at 8gb and it only has 4?
                        Size isn't a variable. It just formats the entire partition.

Filesystem is an important variable though. The expected filesystem is hardcoded into our bootloader. Any attempt to format a partition with a different filesystem fails with a message like the one you reported.

I can't imagine the 4g uses a different filesystem than all the other models. I'll take a look at it's fstab when I get a chance though.
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I installed Rom Toolbox Lite after that, I rebooted and got the error; It's hard to remember exactly what I did..

Comment

Size isn't a variable. It just formats the entire partition.

Filesystem is an important variable though. The expected filesystem is hardcoded into our bootloader. Any attempt to format a partition with a different filesystem fails with a message like the one you reported.

I can't imagine the 4g uses a different filesystem than all the other models. I'll take a look at it's fstab when I get a chance though.
                            thank you, I shouldn't have went crazy trying to change the boot screen...

Comment

thank you, I shouldn't have went crazy trying to change the boot screen...
                              I just took a look at my files for the Next7P12-4G. The good news, is that the tablet is formatted with the same filesystem as the Next7P12-8G, it just has different sized partitions.

The bad news, is I don't have a copy of the system partition from this model. I do have the rest of the firmware. I don't think anyone else lurking around here has the a 4G model that can dump the system for us.

I could probably package the firmware files I have, with the system partition from the 8G model. Then maybe we could flash your tablet to get it working again. Are you willing to try this?

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                              X