Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

picuntu and mk908

I followed the instructions in the first post, but when I click to "erase nand" the device is no longer recognized by the pc, and the log screen show me "lower format total(0) current (6)" which seems to me strange.

I have a mk908 device.

If anyone had the same problem or knows how to solve it, feel free to reply me, I'll really appreciate it

Comment

if that happens after flashing it's not a problem

Originally posted by EzelRick View Post
      I followed the instructions in the first post, but when I click to "erase nand" the device is no longer recognized by the pc, and the log screen show me "lower format total(0) current (6)" which seems to me strange.

I have a mk908 device.

If anyone had the same problem or knows how to solve it, feel free to reply me, I'll really appreciate it

if that happens after flashing it's not a problem. Just make it known to pc again and go on.

Comment

Custom modules on MK802IV LE

Ok, I read all the way to the end of this thread and didn't find what I was looking for.

I've got a MK802IV LE (16GB editiion) running Picuntu 4.5. In order to get Picuntu loaded because its the LE edition I had to find a friend with Windows, and do all the flashing on that machine (I don't allow Windows in my house ;-) I tried all the Linux methods I could find for flashing Picuntu 4.5 but they were all either for dual boot, or SD card installs neither of which I wanted. Quite frustrating. I understand maybe NAND isn't the fastest to run it but its what I want.

Now, I've got Picuntu 4.5 up and running and everything is great. But what I REALLY want is more wireless USB modules (I'm trying to get a Netgear WNA1100 working). Given how much difficulty I had flashing Picuntu I don't want anyone's custom kernel. I want to compile the modules by hand on Picuntu.

So, I did a git clone as noted in this thread (git clone https://github.com/aloksinha2001/Linux3188.git). I edited the .config to remove the cross compile option, then did a make menuconfig, then a make modules (since all I want is the modules).

Thus far I can't get any modules to load, for example trying the ath9k module gives me
        ath: Unknown symbol __gnu_mcount_nc (err 0)

Is there something I'm missing? Again, I want to compile all these under Picuntu, I've found flashing under Linux only to be impossible and I really don't want to have to go to my friends place again and hear him laugh when I have to ask to use Windows

Thanks!

Comment

mk802iv ap6210 and no screen flicker

Originally posted by winux View Post
          Hi,
          I've found finally a custom kernels that worked on my rk mk802IV; working wifi and NO blinking screen.
          Here is the link :https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B83X...WEU/edit?pli=1
          Many thanks to guy who has compiled and shared them .
          However there is another problem, i think that there is no hardware acceleration, am i wrong?
          I 've tried to open some video from youtube, and the video goes jerkily...
          Unfortunately I'm not expert on linux and do not know how to compile kernels to give an helping hand...
          Are there some tutorial that explain how to compile?
          Thanks
          Hi Winux... I tried the kernel_aloksinha_mk802iv_default_only-lcdc-fix.img from your post and it had the exact same problems that I had when compiling the kernel with marvin. Then I tried the other image: kernel_aloksinha_mk802iv_default_only-lcdc-fix.img and success! I'm not sure why the marvin compile didn't work but there's obviously some difference in the two. Can you tell me where you found them (not the location, but the forum, etc). Thanks!

-E

Comment

Originally posted by erick View Post
            Hi Winux... I tried the kernel_aloksinha_mk802iv_default_only-lcdc-fix.img from your post and it had the exact same problems that I had when compiling the kernel with marvin. Then I tried the other image: kernel_aloksinha_mk802iv_default_only-lcdc-fix.img and success! I'm not sure why the marvin compile didn't work but there's obviously some difference in the two. Can you tell me where you found them (not the location, but the forum, etc). Thanks!

-E
            Hi erick, i'm sorry but i don't remember where i found them.
            Last edited by winux; 05-30-2014, 20:06.

Comment

Trouble getting wifi working with mk802iv_ap6210

Installing picuntu 4.5 onto a rikomagic with newer (post-July) wifi chip (ap6210):
              Need to ultimately get a 4:3 video output so started with just trying to get a clean kernel compile before I start messing with the video options since I've never done this before and not too sure of what I'm doing. Followed instructions from http://nixtalk.net/kernel-rk3188 using phjanderson's Marvin tool. When I make the kernel using git clone https://github.com/phjanderson/Linux3188, and flash the image, the system starts boot but only gets to ...udev: starting version 175 and then constantly reboots from that point - over and over. When I make the kernel using git clone https://github.com/aloksinha2001/Linux3188 it boots every time with no problem but has no wifi. insmod and modprobe all return No device found message. It looks like phjanderson's version has a bunch of files in .../Linux3188/arch/arm/mach-rk3188 that I don't see in aloksinha2001's Linux3188/arch/arm/mach-rk3188.

Also tried overlaying phjanderson's .../Linux3188/arch/arm/mach-rk3188 onto aloksinha2001's .../Linux3188/arch/arm/mach-rk3188 and made a new version. It does the continual reboot thing again so clearly something in the phjanderson wifi files are causing grief at boot.

Any ideas? (I appreciate all the work you guys have been doing - I wouldn't be able to be doing any of this without you).

-E

Comment

Transmart MK908II no signal

I recently purchased two android TV sticks, UGOOS UM2 and Tronsmart MK908II, and flashed PicUntu 4.5 on UGOOS UM2 and it is working well after resolving a flickering issue by replacing kernel with one obtained from "http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...nd-Linux-again". However, Tronsmart MK900II is a real headache and I could not get a picuntu to work on the device. All I got is "no signal". When I tried images from http://dl.radxa.com/rock/images/ubuntu/ or https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/765xvHJGWm6, the device booted up successfully but could not get a working wifi, which was the same case for UGOOS UM2. I am wondering if anyone successfully flashed a linux of a working built-in wifi on Transmart MK908II.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfly View Post
                  First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices!

Following the postings from gmtii and alok's response, I've re-compressed a version of the installer 7z (DOWNLOAD HERE) which contains an updated system.img that includes Omegamoon's 3.0.72+ kernel modules (/lib/modules/3.0.72+/ folder copied from gmtii's archive, /lib/modules/*.ko.3.0.72+ compiled from omegamoon's git repo), as well as gmtii's compiled kernel_nand.img and kernel_sd.img. I hope that this can allow more people to try out PicUntu on their MK908 devices!

Flashing Instructions (derived from Alok's; tested on MK908 v3):
                  0. Make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed on your Windows PC. You can use Google to find instructions. Also, read Alok's original post before continuing.

1. On a Windows PC, download and uncompress PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3.7z.

2. Run rk_flash_1.37/RKAndroidTool.exe. Every entry except for misc, recovery, and backup should be checked.

3. Disconnect all USB connections to your MK908 device; make sure a USB-to-mini-USB cable is connected to your PC.

4. While holding down the reset/flash button (accessed via the small hole near the HDMI jack that does not light up during normal boot-up), connect the mini-USB cable to the side mini-USB jack (labelled OTG). Hold for 2+ seconds until RkAndroidTool.exe reports "Device Found for Flashing". (If this does not happen, make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed)

5. Click on Erase NAND and wait until messages stop (~20 sec)

6. Click on Flash ROM and wait until messages stop (~3 mins)

Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically.

7. Once you log into PicUntu, open up a Terminal (2nd icon in the bottom launchpad).

8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted.

(Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)

9. Enjoy PicUntu on your MK908 device!

I'm in the process of configuring a MK908 to control an AR.Drone quadrotor autonomously using OpenCV and ROS. More on that soon (I hope)

Sidenote: to find out what is the board version of you MK908, you need to open the case (by slowly propping it open using a spadger/ flat screwdriver/etc), and look for the text "MK908 V3.0 2013/05/13" on the side with the reset/flash button, near the OTG mini-USB jack.

P.S. to Alok: in RkAndroidTool.exe, you can right-click on the list of items and export an updated flash configuration into config.cfg
                  1. cp /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+ /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel/drivers/
                  2 mv /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel/drivers/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+ /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel/drivers/rkwifi.ko
                  3 depmod -a
                  4 reboot

Then you can see the wifi driver loaded on boot

Now I have the problems:
                  1. the resolution can not be set to 1920*1080, xrandr --new mode can't work proberly
                  2. the ping/ssh/firefox/chromium can not get internet access

I tried to solve the problem, but no progress...

Comment

enable output to tv out

Hi,
                    i managed to boot into gui but i have picture only in hdmi output. Is it anyway to enable the TV out (yellow RCA) to watch the desktop through a SCART to my TV (without hdmi input).
                    Is it an easy task for a newbee like me?
                    TIA

Comment

Hey guys,

I have a cs968 box and i've managed to install picuntu without wifi & bluetooth but other than that there seemed to be no problems. Then i restarted the device and now it is in bootloop. I've tried to install it again but its not reacting. When i start up the device, linux tries to startup then another screen comes up saying that starting without any network and boots again. Sometimes mouse cursor is visible but immediate boot follows. Device is not recognized in windows, so i cant really use rkbatchtools or anything to flash stock. When i try to go to recovery ( press and hold the reset button for 5+ secs) it shows nothing and does not try to boot just sits with a black screen.

Any pointers or any help at this point is very much appreciated.

Comment

MK908

Originally posted by drynish View Post
                        hahahaha )

Yeah tried each and everyone of them, all with the same results... Like you said, I'm searching for a MK802 IV right now and will try to get rid of my MK908!

Michel
                        I try also to flash picuntu 4.5 on a mk908 (v5 i think) and i see blinking screen...

Did someone find the issue ? with which kernel ?

Thanks

Comment

2.X Bootloader

Hi,

first let me say a big "thank you" to all contributors of PicUntu!

I've been (or still am) a vivid user of the old Picuntu on my RK3066 UG007. Just recently I got a RK3188 UG007B and upgraded it to a custom Android 4.4 ROM with bootloader V2.13. Switching back to the "old" 1.2 or 1.24 bootloader for Picuntu 4.5 seems to always brick my device. Lucky enough I've been able to get Android 4.4 running again.

Question is: Is there any way to install Picuntu with 2.X bootloader?

Thanks for all your work!

Alex

Comment

Problem with MK908II

I have 6 mk908II, bought at different times. First I bought one (rk3188-T), tested stuffs, installed picuntu 4.5, it worked like charm. Everything mentioned was working perfect.
                            So, I bought another 5 after a couple of months. All with rk3188-T CPU.
                            I can not install picuntu 4.5 in it no matter what. Tried with different loaders and kernels.
                            Other android versions work fine in both devices.

I openedthe case and found that the NAND is a new one. and some other chips are also different (except wifi, which still is ap6210).

It gives no response after installing picuntu, the Monitor just gives "No Signal Found".
                            I tried with a different boot.img (from other androids) with the picuntu kernel & system and it tries to boot, at least shows some response to the screen.
                            So, I guess that the default boot.img of picuntu is not working properly with these new versions of mk908II.

Is there a way/guide/tutorial to create boot.img according to our need?
                            I would like to create and test it, or if I failed, would happily test boot.img built by someone who is more expert in these stuffs.

I have created a separate thread for it too, but haven't seen any responses

Comment

902 reflash help

HI guys, ccing this from the '3188 devices' thread. Since you all seem to reflash several devices before breakfast, it may make you groan. (Sorry.)

__

Hi guys, sorry for an incredibly basic question.

I'm working with a Rikomagic EVO, which appears to be a 3188-powered 902 variant. Here's the page--

http://www.cloudsto.com/products/lin...ge-detail.html

...note that the ports have been rearranged to accommodate the VGA connection.

I want to reflash it. Is there a hidden miniUSB port? Or do I use one of the USB-A ports? Any special considerations?

Best, W.

Comment

answering my own question (but see next post)

Hi guys, in case anyone Googles that last question about reflashing EVOs...

I wrote to Rikomagic, who responded within a day or so.

The EVO can be reflashed using the third USB port, that is, the one nearest the audio connections. You'll still need to boot the device with a paperclip jammed into the reset hole, natch.

I'm now looking at my EVO in RKFlashkit, and will send my further query in another post.

Best, W.

Comment

Working...
                                X