Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW CAN I USE SD CARD AS INTERNAL STORAGE ON MY K-R42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW CAN I USE SD CARD AS INTERNAL STORAGE ON MY K-R42?

Hi guys only just signed up to the site,it so far seems the place to be for android tv and so forth and so far i am impressed with the site.Any way to the point i recently aquired the K-R42 android tv box from **** and i proceeded to flash the box with the hw firmware i believe it is, now the firmware is awesome i absolutely love the box but i cannot as i have done with a haipi i9377 phone before seem to get the external sd card to be read as the internal storage,this is so all game files will be installed to the external sd card instead of the relatively small mediocre internal memory which is just 8gb which it chooses as primary for all storage.Can anyone give an absolute dummies guide on the process of making the external sd the internal storage card please as i have tried to use clockworkmod recovery 4.0.3 i believe it is the version i used but don't quote me, but the cwm does not respond to keystrokes on a usb keyboard or i don't know how to make it? I relate to cwm because i have some s3 zip i found to do with ext2nd or something which is supposed to make it use sd card as main storage,but i don't know how to apply it or use it any way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,i have a 32gb card in it but can't store games to it in order to save space,i have tried these file manager type apps selecting source and target to make the folders swapped to the sd to store games on and none of them seem to work on the K-R42 cfw or i am not doing it right.
    What is the world if you don't explore?

Originally posted by PHYSC View Post
    Hi guys only just signed up to the site,it so far seems the place to be for android tv and so forth and so far i am impressed with the site.Any way to the point i recently aquired the K-R42 android tv box from **** and i proceeded to flash the box with the hw firmware i believe it is, now the firmware is awesome i absolutely love the box but i cannot as i have done with a haipi i9377 phone before seem to get the external sd card to be read as the internal storage,this is so all game files will be installed to the external sd card instead of the relatively small mediocre internal memory which is just 8gb which it chooses as primary for all storage.Can anyone give an absolute dummies guide on the process of making the external sd the internal storage card please as i have tried to use clockworkmod recovery 4.0.3 i believe it is the version i used but don't quote me, but the cwm does not respond to keystrokes on a usb keyboard or i don't know how to make it? I relate to cwm because i have some s3 zip i found to do with ext2nd or something which is supposed to make it use sd card as main storage,but i don't know how to apply it or use it any way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,i have a 32gb card in it but can't store games to it in order to save space,i have tried these file manager type apps selecting source and target to make the folders swapped to the sd to store games on and none of them seem to work on the K-R42 cfw or i am not doing it right.
    Yes it can be done easy im using a 32GB sd card as my internal on my CX-919 but its hard to explane how to do it, there is a guide on this website somewhere but I cant find it lol lol..from what I remember you edit the vold.fstab file located in system/ect,,,first back up vold.fstab rename it vold.fstab.old now edit the vold.fstab file as the image below shows & reboot with your sd card in your device & it should work..oh just found a link that explanes it better http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2014242 Iv only done this on my cx919 but it should work on other devices ......Found the link http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...to+external+sd
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blinkone; 10-13-2013, 21:39. Reason: New link added
    Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

I dare say that there is information regarding this in a few places but I modified my Archos Tablet to run from the external SD.

I hope that Post 231 here will give you the information you need.

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

My vold fstab

This is my fstab file guys,i haven't got a clue how to edit it as i have aspergas syndrome it is near impossible for me to decipher questions in paragraphs or commands written in paragraphs unless in laymans terms.But all i can tell you is that i found the fstab file and this is what it states.

##$_FOR_ROCKCHIP_RBOX_$
        ## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
        ## - San Mehat ([email protected])
        ##

#######################
        ## Regular device mount
        ##
        ## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
        ## label - Label for the volume
        ## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
        ## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
        ## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
        ######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
        # Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
        #dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
        #dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
        # $_rbox_$_modify_$_huangyonglin: added 2012-02-23, for adding the mass storage supporting.
        dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
        dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
        dev_mount udisk0 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK0 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk1 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK1 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk2 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK2 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk3 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK3 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk4 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK4 1 /devices/platform/usb
        dev_mount udisk5 /mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK5 1 /devices/platform/usb
        # $_rbox_$_modify_$ end
        ## Example of a dual card setup
        # dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
        # dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
        # dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

All of that is to the letter like for like a copy of my vold fstab file,i am hoping someone can do the edit required for me as i am incapable of following the guides on how it is done due to my learning difficulties,i am trying to get my 32gb kingston class 4 sdhc card to run as the internal card,i would be greatful if someone could take the time to help me please.Thanks for all the current input as i am sure it will help those with a good understanding.
        If someone can just edit it and post it back edited in another post i could then copy it into notepad and save as .fstab format and then copy the file to my device and then use es file explorer to overwrite the original,having kept a copy of the original of course.I haver done everything eg.set read write access and so forth in es file explorer i just have not got the aptitude without being physicaly shown in order to edit it my self.

Comment

This is my fstab file guys,i haven't got a clue how to edit it as i have aspergas syndrome it is near impossible for me to decipher questions in paragraphs or commands written in paragraphs unless in laymans terms.But all i can tell you is that i found the fstab file and this is what it states.

##$_FOR_ROCKCHIP_RBOX_$
          ##

#######################
          ## Regular device mount
          ##
          ######################

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
          # $_rbox_$_modify_$_huangyonglin: added 2012-02-23, for adding the mass storage supporting.
          dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
          dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
          # $_rbox_$_modify_$ end
          # dev_mount left_sdcard /sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
          # dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

All of that is to the letter like for like a copy of my vold fstab file,i am hoping someone can do the edit required for me as i am incapable of following the guides on how it is done due to my learning difficulties,i am trying to get my 32gb kingston class 4 sdhc card to run as the internal card,i would be greatful if someone could take the time to help me please.Thanks for all the current input as i am sure it will help those with a good understanding.
          If someone can just edit it and post it back edited in another post i could then copy it into notepad and save as .fstab format and then copy the file to my device and then use es file explorer to overwrite the original,having kept a copy of the original of course.I haver done everything eg.set read write access and so forth in es file explorer i just have not got the aptitude without being physicaly shown in order to edit it my self.
          Below is your vold.fstab that iv edited ((you may want to check with other members to see if iv edited the right part hope this helps iv only swapped 2 lines over)) that worked for me on my CX919

##$_FOR_ROCKCHIP_RBOX_$
          ##

#######################
          ## Regular device mount
          ##
          ######################

dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
          dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
          # $_rbox_$_modify_$ end

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture EDIT.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	430930Please check with other members first Good luck

Comment

No joy

Originally posted by blinkone View Post
            Below is your vold.fstab that iv edited ((you may want to check with other members to see if iv edited the right part hope this helps iv only swapped 2 lines over)) that worked for me on my CX919

##$_FOR_ROCKCHIP_RBOX_$
            ##

#######################
            ## Regular device mount
            ##
            ######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
            # $_rbox_$_modify_$ end

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3559[/ATTACH]Please check with other members first Good luck
            Unfortunately i went ahead before checking and it shows it as greyed out on mount flash and mount sd now, something is slightly out with it,i just cannot understand at all why android devices have no option for this natively to be honest as they cannot expect the owner to rely on 8gb internal storage for the lifetime of the device considering that the apps grow biger and bigger like windows os does etc
            ,surely they saw that the necesity for this is paramount, you can only store less than a handful of decent games on it otherwise,any way i need to get this figured out somehow,and i am very greatful for all that you did trying with that file as it's taking the time out to do it when you didn't need to.I am a computer repair technician so any physical problems with pc's or laptops let me know maybe i can assist.
            I have now restored it back to a fresh cfw install i have tried my own edit your edit and another random edit on the vold.fstab file but i just cannot get the thing working the sd as internal storage if anyone else comes across this thread please if your able to edit the fstab for me on this thread then please do as i am completely stuck with the means for almost unlimited storage yet i don't know how to edit a stupid file just to make it work.
            Last edited by PHYSC; 10-14-2013, 00:58.

Comment

perhaps..
              dev_mount flash /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
              dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0

logic,
              As you are swapping.. its wise to copy the data from sd to the sdcard (limit the chance of errors)

note..
              There is also a 'app' in google marked.. for swapping
              I think.. you need a higher class card.. as there will be alot of swap/temp data writen
              also dont use fat32 ( corrupion bug )
              *there is also a small change your device has two vold files.. (i read on tabledrepublic forum)

anyway.. i could be wrong.. goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                perhaps..

logic,
                As you are swapping.. its wise to copy the data from sd to the sdcard (limit the chance of errors)

note..
                I think.. you need a higher class card.. as there will be alot of swap/temp data writen
                *there is also a small change your device has two vold files.. (i read on tabledrepublic forum)

Mate i do appreciate the help,i do not follow where it is in the text those 2 edited lines are placed can you not copy the entire post of my vold tab and add the lines in then paste the entire edited vold fstab back on here please,this would make life easier and make it a simple copy to a notepad job and rename instead of me trying to add the lines and having to reflash a 4th time when i add them in wrong.Like the way blinkone did for me in post number #5 would be so much easier for me to understand and play with.

Comment

Hi its me again lol,, I think mitchell4you is right try this new edited vold.fstab if it works credits go to mitchell4you I completely overlooked that..below is the new edited one try it at your own risk lol lol I take it your getting good at flashing roms now sorry for all the trouble I have coursed..Good luck

##$_FOR_ROCKCHIP_RBOX_$
                  ##

#######################
                  ## Regular device mount
                  ##
                  ######################

# $_rbox_$_modify_$ end

Comment

Thanks

Hi its me again lol,, I think mitchell4you is right try this new edited vold.fstab if it works credits go to mitchell4you I completely overlooked that..below is the new edited one try it at your own risk lol lol I take it your getting good at flashing roms now sorry for all the trouble I have coursed..Good luck

##$_FOR_ROCKCHIP_RBOX_$
                    ##

#######################
                    ## Regular device mount
                    ##
                    ######################

# $_rbox_$_modify_$ end

Thanks i tried it and i also copied all the files in the entire root directory to the external sd card and still it doesn't work i will have to reflash it again as mount sd card and mount nand flash are greyed out and google play store is now failing to work when i attempt to download,i do appreciate all the time you guys are putting in to help me accomplish it.It hardly seems fair that you put that much effort in and still it declines to work.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                      perhaps..

logic,

note..

Thank you for the help it still doesn't respond it just greys out the mount sd card and mount nand flash options it also affects the google play store running unless it is the fact i copied like for like the root of the internal memory to the sad card as suggested causes the google play to fail on download? Either way thanks for the effort.

Comment

Edit:: iv been over & over it post 9 should of worked I cant understand it ,,i wont give up on it yet im still playing with it this end bare with me...
                        Last edited by blinkone; 10-14-2013, 21:52.

Comment

Thanks

Edit:: iv been over & over it post 9 should of worked I cant understand it ,,i wont give up on it yet im still playing with it this end bare with me...
                          I can't thank you enough for all your help your a star,i'm not sure but i wanted to rate you guys but i don't think the site has the option to rate members does it? Not that it is needed i'd just like to thank you.
                          There is 1 thing i have seen here that i didn't see in my haipi phone setup when i followed a guide to setup sd card as storage and that is all the usb parts to the list so maybe it is employing a usb drive number eg.usb0 as external storage and the external sd card is somehow supposed to be swapped with that? Just a theory not that i can enforce the theory it's simply a guestimation as that is the difference between my haipi phones fstab and the k-r42? This is clearly different as the phone does not have usb ports just a singular microsd port,it's just got me thinking has the k-r42 got automatic swap to sd option un-greyed out if you plug in a usb hard drive if so it's choosing to use that as external and the external sd should be written in where it states usb0 this is just a guess and may be wrong lol,even if it were right i couldn't make the vold.fstab with it altered probably lol

Comment

I can't thank you enough for all your help your a star,i'm not sure but i wanted to rate you guys but i don't think the site has the option to rate members does it? Not that it is needed i'd just like to thank you.
                            There is 1 thing i have seen here that i didn't see in my haipi phone setup when i followed a guide to setup sd card as storage and that is all the usb parts to the list so maybe it is employing a usb drive number eg.usb0 as external storage and the external sd card is somehow supposed to be swapped with that? Just a theory not that i can enforce the theory it's simply a guestimation as that is the difference between my haipi phones fstab and the k-r42? This is clearly different as the phone does not have usb ports just a singular microsd port,it's just got me thinking has the k-r42 got automatic swap to sd option un-greyed out if you plug in a usb hard drive if so it's choosing to use that as external and the external sd should be written in where it states usb0 this is just a guess and may be wrong lol,even if it were right i couldn't make the vold.fstab with it altered probably lol
                            Here is the vold.fstab file that I use to swap the sdcard with the external sdcard on the k-r42.

The permissions for the file are rw r r (644)

As you can see in the screenshot below I now have a 60 gig sdcard and my external sdcard has become the old 4 gig one.

To Infinity and Beyond.... XBMC

Comment

## Vold 2.0Generic fstab
                              ##

#######################
                              ## Regular device mount
                              ##
                              ## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part><sysfs_path1...>
                              ## label - Label for thevolume
                              ## mount_point - Where the volume willbe mounted
                              ## part - Partition # (1 based),or 'auto' for first usable partition.
                              ######################

#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
                              dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /dev/block/mtd/by-name/user
                              dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb/devices/platform/usb20_otg/usb
                              # dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2 auto/devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

The vold.fstab above is the one off my CX_919 running finless rom 1.4 android 4.1 this one works for me ,, it uses my 32GB external sdcard as my internal memery... I cant understand why the one iv edited for you don't work I think we need more wise men on this lol

Comment

Working...
                              X