Horrible Video Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible Video Quality

I have an MK808B that I recently purchased in hopes of using it for streaming video. But the quality seems absolutely horrible, to the point of making it unusable. When I run a bandwith speed test on it, i get decent enough numbers (in the vicinity of 7 - 10mbps down and about 1 up.) Not the greatest numbers, but more than enough for video. Or at least it should be. I'm streaming to a 720P television, so I don't even need 1080P streams.

So far, I've tried netflix, HBO GO, and even NFL's streaming app. No matter what I watch, the video stops and buffers every few seconds. I can stream these at maximum quality through, my macBook pro, an xbox, a roku, an android phone, and an android tablet. But for some reason, this just can't seem to handle it.

I thought this was designed to be a device for streaming video, but I just can't seem to get it to do anything at all. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Could it be a problem with wifi even if the signal is showing that it's strong and the speed test gives good results? I'm at a loss and about to just give up on this entirely.

Originally posted by samseed101 View Post
    I have an MK808B that I recently purchased in hopes of using it for streaming video. But the quality seems absolutely horrible, to the point of making it unusable. When I run a bandwith speed test on it, i get decent enough numbers (in the vicinity of 7 - 10mbps down and about 1 up.) Not the greatest numbers, but more than enough for video. Or at least it should be. I'm streaming to a 720P television, so I don't even need 1080P streams.

So far, I've tried netflix, HBO GO, and even NFL's streaming app. No matter what I watch, the video stops and buffers every few seconds. I can stream these at maximum quality through, my macBook pro, an xbox, a roku, an android phone, and an android tablet. But for some reason, this just can't seem to handle it.

I thought this was designed to be a device for streaming video, but I just can't seem to get it to do anything at all. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Could it be a problem with wifi even if the signal is showing that it's strong and the speed test gives good results? I'm at a loss and about to just give up on this entirely.
    Install Wifi Analyser on your Android phone and test the wifi signal at different places and find the best spot or obstacles in the way.
    If that doesn't work try using a usb ethernet adaptor to get maximum network speed.
    You can also install a custom rom for better performance.
    My MK808B is 20m or 65 feet away from the router and I can stream Full HD video from my PC.

Comment

I probably should add that when i first suspected that it could be a weak wifi signal, I moved the router to the living room. So now it's about 5 feet away from the television. it shows a strong signal (full strength) but it simply won't stream very well. I thought about buying a USB ethernet adapter, but I wasn't sure if that would make a difference considering the high results from the bandwidth speed test. Could that still be the issue? I hope it is something that simple, but now i'm beginning to wonder if it's just too much for the device to handle for some reason. or maybe a defective unit.

Comment

The Wifi is notoriously bad, often requiring re soldering the antennas. I have had very good signal strength, but poor data rate transfer.

If you get a USB Ethernet adaptor that will solve the issues. You could alternatively fix the antennas, or find a Wifi dongle with driver support. I do however, doubt it is rom/hardware related.

If you use your phone to control the device, make sure you get one of the minix firmwares, as the newer version plays much better with Ethernet.
        Currently Using:
        2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
        Retired Devices:
        MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

Thank you for your help. I'll order an ethernet adapter and try that. Hopefully that will solve my problems :-)

Comment

Originally posted by samseed101 View Post
            Thank you for your help. I'll order an ethernet adapter and try that. Hopefully that will solve my problems :-)
            I would try to flash a custom rom first. They are more optimized that the original ones.

Comment

Working...
            X