Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me get Netflix working smoothly on the PMID701C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who might be curious. Polaroid/Southern Telecom recently released their official firmware upgrade to upgrade the 701C to the Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

I wanted to see how if it ran any differently than Shawn's 701C ICS firmware we had here. I was also curious if it was able to run Netflix better for some reason. My results were quite poor with running Netflix on Polaroids ICS firmware upgrade for the 701C.

To be sure I was fair I wanted this to be a pretty virgin install. I flashed the polaroid firmware update, then installed amazon appstore. Afterward I simply downloaded and installed the newest Netflix app from the amazon app store.

Netflix runs, but it's choppy most of the time. When it does run the audio and video are pretty terribly out of sync. It's basically unwatchable. I wasn't expecting anything different but I thought I'd try it just in case.

If you were thinking of upgrading from the gingerbread to ICS on your 701C with the polaroid firmware updated solely on the chance it might help the Netflix issue, it's probably going to be a waste of time.

I've only played a few minutes of video on a few different episodes, but it's pretty terrible.

So far the best setup for Netflix for ME on the 701C has been the older version of Netflix 1.5.2 on the stock Gingerbread OS. Netflix also runs well for me using Shawn's 701C upgrade and LiquidLime's Market fix with his included performance mods. I did have some freezing issues with that setup but i'm not sure whether that's Netflix or the tablet right now.

I just thought I'd share my feedback. I know it doesn't really solve anything but it may avoid someone the mild hassle of flashing the Polaroid ICS update if they were only doing it to see how it ran Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
      Just thought I'd share this for anyone who might be curious. Polaroid/Southern Telecom recently released their official firmware upgrade to upgrade the 701C to the Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

I wanted to see how if it ran any differently than Shawn's 701C ICS firmware we had here. I was also curious if it was able to run Netflix better for some reason. My results were quite poor with running Netflix on Polaroids ICS firmware upgrade for the 701C.

To be sure I was fair I wanted this to be a pretty virgin install. I flashed the polaroid firmware update, then installed amazon appstore. Afterward I simply downloaded and installed the newest Netflix app from the amazon app store.

Netflix runs, but it's choppy most of the time. When it does run the audio and video are pretty terribly out of sync. It's basically unwatchable. I wasn't expecting anything different but I thought I'd try it just in case.

If you were thinking of upgrading from the gingerbread to ICS on your 701C with the polaroid firmware updated solely on the chance it might help the Netflix issue, it's probably going to be a waste of time.

I've only played a few minutes of video on a few different episodes, but it's pretty terrible.

So far the best setup for Netflix for ME on the 701C has been the older version of Netflix 1.5.2 on the stock Gingerbread OS. Netflix also runs well for me using Shawn's 701C upgrade and LiquidLime's Market fix with his included performance mods. I did have some freezing issues with that setup but i'm not sure whether that's Netflix or the tablet right now.

I just thought I'd share my feedback. I know it doesn't really solve anything but it may avoid someone the mild hassle of flashing the Polaroid ICS update if they were only doing it to see how it ran Netflix.
      Have you installed LiquidLimez market fix?

Comment

Originally posted by artistlogic View Post
        Have you installed LiquidLimez market fix?
        Yes..I mainly just installed the new Polaroid firmware out of curiosity. I wanted to know how it ran etc. While i had a fresh flash I decided to see if the official Polaroid rom ran Netflix any better. It didn't.

Again out of curiosity decided to take a few extra minutes and install the LiquidLimez market fix over the official Polaroid ICS 701C upgrade. It runs Netflix slightly better the than Polaroid/S.T. firmware upgrade alone, but I still run into problems. There are audio sync issues, (Sometimes it's way out of sync) choppy video etc. There's a tendency for the audio to cut in and out with a "pop" from the speaker at times too. Video just suddenly freezes at times as well.

The thing I can't figure out is some videos play better than others. All still have issues..but I can't figure out why some videos are horribly out of sync with audio, some stutter and freeze at the same point, and others play much better. You would thing they'd all exhibit the same symptoms.

So in case anyone is wondering, for ME with the "Official" Polaroid/S.T. released roms, Netflix still doesn't run worth a crap with or without LiquidLimez's market fix
        This was using the newest Netflix app from Amazon Appstore. No other apps were installed except the stock apps from S.T. and then whatever is automatically included with LiquidLimez's script once I installed the Market fix.

Just for $h*ts 'n giggles I might reflash and try the other ICS Supercharger script over the Polaroid 701C ICS upgrade and see if there's any difference there. I'm guessing it's basically the same hardware tweaks and Netflix/Video fixes as those included in LiquidLimez's Market fix so it's probably a waste of time though.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
          Just for $h*ts 'n giggles I might reflash and try the other ICS Supercharger script over the Polaroid 701C ICS upgrade and see if there's any difference there. I'm guessing it's basically the same hardware tweaks and Netflix/Video fixes as those included in LiquidLimez's Market fix so it's probably a waste of time though.
          So just for the heck of it, I did go go ahead and try the V6 ICS Supercharger script after a fresh flash of the Polaroid 701C ICS firmware upgrade. Did it just to see if there was anything different about it that would improve Netflix for me. Nope!

I was pretty sure it was the same/very similiar to the tweaks in LiquidLimez's script..but decided to give it a try anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X