Smart TVs running Android TV ROMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart TVs running Android TV ROMs?

Hello, all. First post. Please be gentle.

I have a TCL 55S434 that's running Android TV. When I first bought the TV I got curious and plugged a USB hub into the USB port and hooked up game controllers, a logitech wireless keyboard, removable storage. And I found that the firmware it was running would allow control via a game controller, and the logitech wireless keyboard worked as if it was plugged into a computer. Awesome stuff. But there was an manufacturer update that seemed to remove that functionality. I tried different wireless controllers, different wireless keyboards, and the closest I got to success was getting an Xbox 360 wireless adapter for Windows to work, although it won't pair any other controllers except for 1. And there have been problems pairing various bluetooth controllers, namely the 8-bitdo line. Although the 8bitdo controller DID work connected wired.

I've used homespun Android ROMs for a couple other Android TV devices before I decided to experiment going this route. But I did a search on FT to see if there was any investigation into this. And to my surprise, there's not.

Is there anyone out there messing around with this? If not the TCL line, Sony? Hisense? I'm curious.

Thanks for reading!

Originally posted by herrdoktor330 View Post
    Hello, all. First post. Please be gentle.

I have a TCL 55S434 that's running Android TV. When I first bought the TV I got curious and plugged a USB hub into the USB port and hooked up game controllers, a logitech wireless keyboard, removable storage. And I found that the firmware it was running would allow control via a game controller, and the logitech wireless keyboard worked as if it was plugged into a computer. Awesome stuff. But there was an manufacturer update that seemed to remove that functionality. I tried different wireless controllers, different wireless keyboards, and the closest I got to success was getting an Xbox 360 wireless adapter for Windows to work, although it won't pair any other controllers except for 1. And there have been problems pairing various bluetooth controllers, namely the 8-bitdo line. Although the 8bitdo controller DID work connected wired.

I've used homespun Android ROMs for a couple other Android TV devices before I decided to experiment going this route. But I did a search on FT to see if there was any investigation into this. And to my surprise, there's not.

Is there anyone out there messing around with this? If not the TCL line, Sony? Hisense? I'm curious.

Thanks for reading!
    You can only install custom AndroidTV firmware on a tv box, not an actual tv as they have lots more security and locked bootloaders.
    Someone managed to root a Phillips AndroidTV and Google immediately revoked the Widevine DRM then millions of users couldn't use any streaming services until MediaTek/Phillips released a software update.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

You can only install custom AndroidTV firmware on a tv box, not an actual tv as they have lots more security and locked bootloaders.
      Someone managed to root a Phillips AndroidTV and Google immediately revoked the Widevine DRM then millions of users couldn't use any streaming services until MediaTek/Phillips released a software update.
      Oooof. Thanks for the heads up on that. So... best to lobby the manufacturer to get those features reinstated then, eh? ?

So here I was thinking I was cutting out a device and have a sexy, single TV giving the appearance that it's as powerful as a gaming console.

Comment

Working...
      X