Proper 64 bit support under Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper 64 bit support under Android

It is my understanding that AMLogic has not provided 64-bit support for its SoC since sometime around the S912 era. Certainly the S905X3, S905X4, and other related models based on the Coretex A55 processor all seem to end up running under 32-bit due to lack of developer support. I've been told this is a driver issue - they simply have not invested the time to re-write the drivers for 64-bit.

With the upcoming expectation that Android will soon be "64 bit only", what do we expect for the future of the AMLogic based systems? Presumably, AMLogic will eventually have to write the 64 bit modules, but is there any hope they might develop support for existing hardware? Or should I expect my S905X3 and S905X4 boxes to be forever stuck in 32 bit, and available software for them will slowly wither and fade?

Originally posted by Ty_Bower View Post
    It is my understanding that AMLogic has not provided 64-bit support for its SoC since sometime around the S912 era. Certainly the S905X3, S905X4, and other related models based on the Coretex A55 processor all seem to end up running under 32-bit due to lack of developer support. I've been told this is a driver issue - they simply have not invested the time to re-write the drivers for 64-bit.

With the upcoming expectation that Android will soon be "64 bit only", what do we expect for the future of the AMLogic based systems? Presumably, AMLogic will eventually have to write the 64 bit modules, but is there any hope they might develop support for existing hardware? Or should I expect my S905X3 and S905X4 boxes to be forever stuck in 32 bit, and available software for them will slowly wither and fade?
    Amlogic introduced A311D2 high end SoC (T7 platform) with up to 32GB RAM support. This forced them to release AOSP SDK with 64bit support because 32bit can handle up to 4GB of RAM. So you can expect 64bit Android version with upcomming S928 SoC too.

As for Android 9, their 64bit SDK didn't pass Googles CTS tests and they didn't bother to fix it since there was no real need for 64bit OS.
    If you find my work useful, buy me a beer
    Homepage: http://www.stane1983.com

Comment

i second to what stane said, expect 64bits AOSP for the A311D2/S928 and s905x4.
      Do not expect it for s905x3...

Comment

Thanks. I'll shop for the S905X4, and avoid the RK SoC for the time being.

Comment

Anyway i decided to contact my contacts in amlogic and the word i got from them is no AOSP 64bits for either the s905x3/x4... now if its true or not... they did not fail me before but we never know!

Comment

I have a strong feeling the Amlogic s905x4 will NOT be getting x64 support.
            The platform tops out at 4GB RAM. Hence there's no need.
            Even if the platform gets an Android 12 update, it would be a HUGE deal.

Comment

this is what i got from my contacts in amlogic "64bits sdk for the s905x4 maybe in the future..."
              As android12 yes it will get it, actually is already "done" at ATV level... this is all i can say!

Comment

Originally posted by superceleron View Post
                this is what i got from my contacts in amlogic "64bits sdk for the s905x4 maybe in the future..."
                As android12 yes it will get it, actually is already "done" at ATV level... this is all i can say!
                Thanks for the information.

I am eagerly waiting to install your Custom ROM. It looks a lot more like True Android. The current Android 11 on the Amlogic s905x4 is VERY Restrictive and Limited.
                YOUR Custom ROM on Android 12 Base would be AMAZING....
                Please add TWRP... A Custom Recovery is a Life Saver...

Comment

well that is normal since its ATV mainline.. so you limited to use only the ATV playstore there nothing i can do about that.
                  Because some stuff is missing from ATV mainline that is needed by the mobile playstore/gms....

Comment

Working...
                  X