TWRP Recovery for Amlogic s905x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWRP Recovery for Amlogic s905x4

Came across an interesting way to Boot into TWRP Recovery on Amlogic Android TV Boxes.
    The method is outlined here: https://i12bretro.github.io/tutorials/0451.html
    Basically, it involves copying the "TWRP Recovery Amlogic S9xx.img" as "recovery.img" to the root of any MicroSD card or USB Drive and then Booting up the Box while keeping the Reset Button pressed.
    The method claims TWRP is NOT installed. The device Only Boots into the TWRP Recovery. To make the TWRP Recovery Permanent, simply Flash the recovery.img file using the "Flash" Option and selecting Recovery partition.

If anyone can try this safe method, please report the findings.

A TWRP Recovery and its importance need not be repeated.

[Reserved for Posting Any Working Solution with Due Credit to Provider]

Comment

Tried to boot into this TWRP image from Tanix X4. Stuck on Android TV loading display. Seems this TWRP is only for s905x and s912, not for s905x4. But if we find (or create) a right TWRP, we can try it securly without flashing through this method

Comment

Originally posted by alap1983 View Post
        Came across an interesting way to Boot into TWRP Recovery on Amlogic Android TV Boxes.
        The method is outlined here: https://i12bretro.github.io/tutorials/0451.html
        Basically, it involves copying the "TWRP Recovery Amlogic S9xx.img" as "recovery.img" to the root of any MicroSD card or USB Drive and then Booting up the Box while keeping the Reset Button pressed.
        The method claims TWRP is NOT installed. The device Only Boots into the TWRP Recovery. To make the TWRP Recovery Permanent, simply Flash the recovery.img file using the "Flash" Option and selecting Recovery partition.

If anyone can try this safe method, please report the findings.

A TWRP Recovery and its importance need not be repeated.
        Umm... this is how it's always been done with boxes if you never wanted to burn the twrp to the recovery partition

Comment

Originally posted by keonji View Post
          Tried to boot into this TWRP image from Tanix X4. Stuck on Android TV loading display. Seems this TWRP is only for s905x and s912, not for s905x4. But if we find (or create) a right TWRP, we can try it securly without flashing through this method
          Thank you for the confirmation. I thought it was some error on my part.
          The article and the IMG file appear to be misleading as it is not meant for Amlogc s905x4.
          Hoping there's a TWRP Recovery for these new Android Boxes.

Comment

Thank you for the confirmation. I thought it was some error on my part.
            The article and the IMG file appear to be misleading as it is not meant for Amlogc s905x4.
            Hoping there's a TWRP Recovery for these new Android Boxes.
            there is. look in my thread with firmware link. twrp is in that folder

Good Day Everyone. Here is a link to both PC IMG Burning Firmware And The OTA zip file for the HK1RBOX X4 S905X4 1000M Lan Enjoy

Last edited by gbox23; 12-27-2022, 00:01. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by gbox23 View Post

Good Day Everyone. Here is a link to both PC IMG Burning Firmware And The OTA zip file for the HK1RBOX X4 S905X4 1000M Lan Enjoy
              Downloaded: twrps905x4
              This is the TWRP for Amlogic S905X4 Android TV boxes?
              How to test it before installing permanently?
              How to Install it permanently?

Comment

Downloaded: twrps905x4
                This is the TWRP for Amlogic S905X4 Android TV boxes?
                How to test it before installing permanently?
                How to Install it permanently?
                Of course its for the s905x4, why would i put something else there?

If you need to ask all of these questions, maybe you shouldn't be doing any of this.
                Good Luck,

Comment

Most Excellent gbox23 !!!!!

Can confirm works on A95XF4 Amlogic S905X4

Tested with Superceleron V6 version as Android on a95xf4

Simply followed instructions in Read me

Used long Press Power Button Function in Super
                  Boot To Recovery

Success!!!!

Nice Job !!!!

Will have a test on HK1X4 S905X4

Happy Testing

Comment

Of course its for the s905x4, why would i put something else there?

If you need to ask all of these questions, maybe you shouldn't be doing any of this.
                    Good Luck,

Thanks for the reply.
                    The TWRP recovery loads on the Tanix X4 Amlogic S905X4
                    My questions may appear like a Noob. I apologize in advance.
                    The reasons I asked them were because:
                    1. The TWRP Recovery, upon loading, DOES NOT Offer to "Swipe To Allow Modifications"
                    2. To Permanently Install the Recovery, there is NO Option To Select the Recovery Partition in the List of Partitions. It only shows one option:
                    SUPER (System System_EXT Vendor Product).​​
                    It should ideally show Boot and Recovery partitions.
                    I do not want to proceed without a reliable TWRP installed and working correctly.
                    These boxes aren't readily available where I am located. They rarely pop up and resellers charge a LOT. Hence it is strongly advised NOT to risk bricking them.
                    I am grateful to you for posting in this thread. Please help.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                      1. The TWRP Recovery, upon loading, DOES NOT Offer to "Swipe To Allow Modifications"
                      2. To Permanently Install the Recovery, there is NO Option To Select the Recovery Partition in the List of Partitions. It only shows one option:
                      I do not want to proceed without a reliable TWRP installed and working correctly.
                      These boxes aren't readily available where I am located. They rarely pop up and resellers charge a LOT. Hence it is strongly advised NOT to risk bricking them.
                      Use this as Temporary TWRP.
                      You would have to build your own sdk and replace vendor recovery with TWRP. Recovery

Do not try to Flash to Super
                      I did and result is stuck on boot.
                      ​​Can easily be recovered by removing SD Card and reflash
                      Factory Firmware

Comment

Greetings Everyone - Recently picked up a X96 X4 4G/32G Amlogic S905X4 LED TV Box with Android 11 and found this site looking for a recovery.img to temp boot from usb into TWRP (Thanks gbox23) to use a previous TWRP (data only) backup from an X96 Max+ S905X3 with Android 9 that contain all my apps and custom launcher layout that has worked successfully to clone to other Amlogic TV boxes with A9, 8 or 7. However when attempting a restore on this new box, it fails to give access to the data partition (See Pics) I even started a backup of the new box and noticed the partition structure in A11 is different and does not display the data part. like the others (See Pic 04)... I sure would hate to install all the apps one by one and manually rebuild layout from scratch. .:-( Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

NEVERMIND - ISSUE RESOLVED.... :-)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Blaze-2023; 06-08-2023, 11:13.

Comment

NOT FULLY RESOLVED YET - After Successful New TV Box A11 TWRP Restore/clone of Data Partition from previous saved backup of another A9 TV Box I get this screen after reboot. Does this failure have to do with Encryption? Any Help or Suggestions are always welcome!!! Thanks-Blaze​
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze-2023 View Post
                            Greetings Everyone - Recently picked up a X96 X4 4G/32G Amlogic S905X4 LED TV Box with Android 11 and found this site looking for a recovery.img to temp boot from usb into TWRP (Thanks gbox23) to use a previous TWRP (data only) backup from an X96 Max+ S905X3 with Android 9 that contain all my apps and custom launcher layout that has worked successfully to clone to other Amlogic TV boxes with A9, 8 or 7. However when attempting a restore on this new box, it fails to give access to the data partition (See Pics) I even started a backup of the new box and noticed the partition structure in A11 is different and does not display the data part. like the others (See Pic 04)... I sure would hate to install all the apps one by one and manually rebuild layout from scratch. .:-( Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

NEVERMIND - ISSUE RESOLVED.... :-)
                            AMAZING Screen For Android TV Box. If possible please share details.
                            It must have taken a A LOT of Time and Effort to customize the screen .

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                              how did you made it work with the tanix x4 i tried the read me way and copy to the root and nothing happend just stuck on the tanix logo, and i tried renaming to recovery.img but didnt work care to explain how you managed to make it work?

Comment

Working...
                              X