Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What you think of a all in one OTT device?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you think of a all in one OTT device?

Hi guys.

What you think about an all in one device.
    What i mean with all in one is:
    • OTT with Certified AndroidTV(amlogic based)
    • Router 1Gbit with wifi 6 + parental control, firewall etc...
    • Smart home with zwave/zigbee support
    • Optional 5G mobile internet.
    • Mobile app to control the parental control, firewall and smart home and router and cyber security.
    • AndroidTV apps to control the router/smart home/cyber security

And how much you pay for it?
    Yes i will like it and buy it!
    73.50%
    No i do not like it and will not buy it!
    26.50%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by superceleron; 07-20-2022, 15:33.

Personally...
    I have a Nvidia shield TV downstairs and upstairs Amazon 4k stick with a rk3566 for ipTV running a few docker services like Pi hole / Khadas tone board

So, I'm not looking for a new android Tv based device... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      Personally...
      I have a Nvidia shield TV downstairs and upstairs Amazon 4k stick with a rk3566 for ipTV running a few docker services like Pi hole / Khadas tone board

Amazon 4k stick uses a Rockchip SoC?? I am surprised.

MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
        Personally...

I think you got wrong what the poll is, i'm not selling i'm just asking if you buy it.. imagine you did not have all of that did you buy it?

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Amazon 4k stick uses a Rockchip SoC?? I am surprised.
        well i just check amazon dev site and they have the specs of all their devices they have and i dont see any RK chip on any of them.
        Must are mediatek, there some amlogic and some broadcom and snapdragon, but the more recent ones are all mediatek.

Comment

Although I agree with most of the points. I find many of the features may be of no use for most of the users of a TV box.
          • Router 1Gbit with wifi 6 + parental control, firewall etc... - That will be costly. And delivering high performance to the level of a full fledged router will require a good chip. And what about multiple LAN ports? I am thinking of at least 4. And if the TV box sites beside a TV, reaching the signal far will not be easy, And there is security issues, For example if a malicious app gets its way into the device. All of the devices under the router is at risk. There are also concerns of advanced networking configurations to be ported to Android app interface.
          • Smart home with zwave/zigbee support - I don't use this technology
          • Optional 5G mobile internet. - if there is a non 5G version, that will be okay and cheaper. We don't have 5G here.
          • Mobile app to control the parental control, firewall and smart home and router. - Okay. I don't have a child. So, not feeling any necessity of it.
          • AndroidTV apps to control the router/smart home - Okay
          I was wondering, if you will have docker support, so there can be NAS apps, nextcloud etc. hosting will be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by albert1 View Post
            Although I agree with most of the points. I find many of the features may be of no use for most of the users of a TV box.
            • Router 1Gbit with wifi 6 + parental control, firewall etc... - That will be costly. And delivering high performance to the level of a full fledged router will require a good chip. And what about multiple LAN ports? I am thinking of at least 4. And if the TV box sites beside a TV, reaching the signal far will not be easy, And there is security issues, For example if a malicious app gets its way into the device. All of the devices under the router is at risk. There are also concerns of advanced networking configurations to be ported to Android app interface.
            • Smart home with zwave/zigbee support - I don't use this technology
            • Optional 5G mobile internet. - if there is a non 5G version, that will be okay and cheaper. We don't have 5G here.
            • Mobile app to control the parental control, firewall and smart home and router. - Okay. I don't have a child. So, not feeling any necessity of it.
            • AndroidTV apps to control the router/smart home - Okay
            I was wondering, if you will have docker support, so there can be NAS apps, nextcloud etc. hosting will be possible.
            Nice to see some questions, well this is just a market research remember that (The device already exists but right now only for telecoms, so not much can be change now on hw side).
            Remember this device is already rls and being used by a big telecom, i mean thousands of devices online atm..

1º Ye is not cheap, but there are 2 versions, one with a Qualcomm chip (more expensive) and another with a Mediatek (cheaper), for the device to be cheaper it only has 2 ports (not counting the wan port) the OTT side port is internal i mean is direct connection between the 2 boards. on security risk, well it as a malicious app/url checker that is updated every day also protects all devices in the network, not just the device itself. Also remember the ATV side is certified and not as easy to hack since its secure with strong keys etc.. ho and you get realtime warning/block that you can see in your mobile phone or in the app in the OTT atv side of you visiting a malicious site etc..
            There is also replicators, that do only that function

2º ok

3º yes there is also a non 5G

4º well its there in case is needed ho i forgot to add in the description above there is a Cyber security app.

6º no right now no docker, is a think should definitely be on the list for the future if this ever gets out of a simple market research

Comment

Originally posted by superceleron View Post

Nice to see some questions, well this is just a market research remember that (The device already exists but right now only for telecoms, so not much can be change now on hw side).
              Remember this device is already rls and being used by a big telecom, i mean thousands of devices online atm..

1º Ye is not cheap, but there are 2 versions, one with a Qualcomm chip (more expensive) and another with a Mediatek (cheaper), for the device to be cheaper it only has 2 ports (not counting the wan port) the OTT side port is internal i mean is direct connection between the 2 boards. on security risk, well it as a malicious app/url checker that is updated every day also protects all devices in the network, not just the device itself. Also remember the ATV side is certified and not as easy to hack since its secure with strong keys etc.. ho and you get realtime warning/block that you can see in your mobile phone or in the app in the OTT atv side of you visiting a malicious site etc..
              There is also replicators, that do only that function

2º ok

3º yes there is also a non 5G

4º well its there in case is needed ho i forgot to add in the description above there is a Cyber security app.

6º no right now no docker, is a think should definitely be on the list for the future if this ever gets out of a simple market research
              You mean, the router operation is offloaded to a separate CPU running it's own operating system different than Android? That is safe enough :-)

Comment

Originally posted by albert1 View Post

You mean, the router operation is offloaded to a separate CPU running it's own operating system different than Android? That is safe enough :-)
                Yes it totally independent, there is 2 boards inside the case one for each device wiith its own cpu each of course

Comment

So if im right in thinking i could use a switch to connect to this and therefore expand the options.
                  Router i can configure to my ISP requirements.

ATV side has Ethernet connection to a switch to allow more tv connections? ( i prefer Ethernet connections not wifi )

could be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by chenzen666 View Post
                    So if im right in thinking i could use a switch to connect to this and therefore expand the options.
                    Router i can configure to my ISP requirements.

ATV side has Ethernet connection to a switch to allow more tv connections? ( i prefer Ethernet connections not wifi )

could be interested.
                    1º yes
                    2º the atv is connected internally (its like a internal ETH port 1gbit)to the router side, the ATV board does not have any wifi module.

Comment

So I have been thinking I need to buy a wifi 6 capable router, install openwrt, then install openvpn to have good safe, fast streaming on my various streaming devicesss.s Would this mochine take care of all that.

Comment

Originally posted by jwh125 View Post
                        So I have been thinking I need to buy a wifi 6 capable router, install openwrt, then install openvpn to have good safe, fast streaming on my various streaming devicesss.s Would this mochine take care of all that.
                        yes its wifi 6, and its openwrt based now if its open fw that is another story.

Comment

If the router is running openers then I have high confidence it will allow installation of various brands of VPN. Then all of the connected devices are behind the the VPN so that your Internet service provider cannot see who you are dealing with in your connections.

Comment

So the answer to the original question was Yes I would use one and think costs of $150 would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by jwh125 View Post
                              So the answer to the original question was Yes I would use one and think costs of $150 would be good.
                              thks

Comment

Working...
                              X