Few questions before buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions before buying

Have a few questions before buying this device.

1) How's the speed of the device? Does it stays snappy and does it ever freeze and requires reboot?

2) Does the device comes prerooted?

3) When making a mistake, what are the chances of bricking the device when flashing custom ROM?

4) Anything I should be aware of before buying this device?

Originally posted by AndroidGuy View Post
    Have a few questions before buying this device.

1) How's the speed of the device? Does it stays snappy and does it ever freeze and requires reboot?

2) Does the device comes prerooted?

3) When making a mistake, what are the chances of bricking the device when flashing custom ROM?

4) Anything I should be aware of before buying this device?
    1) The perception of speed really depends on your intended use. With the correct ROM/kernel combination the device can be very stable and snappy. With the combination I'm currently using I've not had a single total freeze or unscheduled reboot, and my X7 is on 24/7. AnTuTu scores range from ~18500 (stock) to 22000 (heavily oc'd kernel).

2) No. If you want to keep using the stock ROM, you need to root it yourself. All custom ROMs by Finless, Lewy and Strauzo come pre-rooted.

3) It's very hard to brick the X7 permanently but something can always go wrong. I have owned three Rockchip-based Android miniPCs and flashed them over 100 times in total. I've never experienced a bad flash. If you follow the instructions included in the ROM packages, there should be no problems. The only caveat is that the current Windows drivers by Rockchip are not compatible with 8.1.

4) Make sure you order your device from a reputable vendor. There are fake X7s for sale in e.g. ****.
    NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
    NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
    Buy me a beer?

Comment

Thanks, that cleared up most of my questions. How does Tue stock ROM compared to the finless Roms? Also how does finless Roms compared when running in different kernals? I think I'll flash finless ROM but probably stick with whatever kernal comes with finless ROM.

Comment

Working...
      X