Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBMC crash issue on mk808b when USB powered

Hello to all,

I have the following issue regarding the usage of the last alpha XBMC for Android with the TV stick mk808b.
    The stick is powered directly from the USB port of a Sony TV KDL-26EX320 which is capable to run perfectly well an external USB HDD WD MyPassport of 500GB so I should be right in assuming that the port has at least 1A. Whenever I start XBMC and access the menu Android crashes and I had to reboot the stick. What is strange is that if I'm using the explorer included in Android I can play 1080p network shared videos with MXPLayer and there are no problems with Android crashing. I have also played ISO files by clicking in explorer run with XBMC (so w/o going into XBMC menus) and everything is running smooth.
    When seeing this I have tried to connect mk808b to the supplied 2A power adapter and hence no problem anymore.
    This makes me think that either there is still a bug in XBMC for Android or running through the menus is causing a higher than 1A power consumption which makes the mk808b crash.

Thanks for feedback,

KR,

IM

All true..
    Xbmc.. probably tries to index your hd on startup and check it self/addons for updates
    max power : HD + Stick

I would never advice: running a android device of a TV hub..
    --in most cases it generates alot of heat/then poof no more usbport or hub

I have a device that reads power usage..
    browsing with many tabs
    Indexing my HD
    Bootup
    Use alot more power then.. watching a movie

anyway.. Cheers

Comment

It's pushing your GPU and CPU at the same time to try and run as fast as possible, not many programs you use will actually do this.

There will never be a fix, because it's not a bug. The USB can't provide the device enough power on heavy load.
      Currently Using:
      2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
      Retired Devices:
      MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

Hello and thanks to all for your answers.

When the concept of Android stick first appeared it promised to transform any TV with a HDMI and a USB port into a SMART TV. The stick would have boot-up when you open the TV and shut-down when you close it, also none of these have a physical shut - down button. But w/o XBMC these toys do not shine. If you still want XBMC you have to keep them 24/24 connected to the 2A power charger / always on meaning that they could break sooner than expected.

Comment

Working...
        X