Bootable F/W Update on Minix ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootable F/W Update on Minix ?

I own all the models from Minx from G4 to X7.
    Is there a way to make a bootable F/W zip file of the OEM ROMs ?
    I am not familiar with CWM, it sounds like that is the magic bullet after reading some of the posts on here.

I have asked Minix why they don't develop such F/W upgrades where the users just pops in the F/W file onto a SD card and just reboot to have the F/W upgrade/restore. Minix has never answered my request for some reasons and for a company that boost frequent F/W updates they haven't made the procedure simple so you don't have to connect to a PC with a reflash tool and driver and use the reset pinhole etc...

Originally posted by EdT View Post
    I own all the models from Minx from G4 to X7.
    Is there a way to make a bootable F/W zip file of the OEM ROMs ?
    I am not familiar with CWM, it sounds like that is the magic bullet after reading some of the posts on here.

I have asked Minix why they don't develop such F/W upgrades where the users just pops in the F/W file onto a SD card and just reboot to have the F/W upgrade/restore. Minix has never answered my request for some reasons and for a company that boost frequent F/W updates they haven't made the procedure simple so you don't have to connect to a PC with a reflash tool and driver and use the reset pinhole etc...
    I also was confused when I had been trying to find any info on how to flash ROM just using device itself or at least linux PC. Most of the guides on the web relies on some windows compatible tools like RKBatchTool or RKFlashTool.
    Although later I found some instructions and tools for flashing ROM using device itself or linux PC.
    For linux PC one can use either adb or rkflashkit with GUI.
    MINIX admin in that thread mentions two flashing methods one of which looks similar to one you described in your first post (but for some reasons it is struck out):
    flash method:
    1.) unzip the image file to flash with the RKBatchTool.exe V1.7 (Windows) using the Restore;
    2.) unzip the image, rename it to update.img, copy the update.img file to a SD card, and put it into X7 (OFF), then power the X7 up, system will detect and prompt asking for update confirmation.

P.S. If you're not using MINIX firmware, please use method 1, I'm not sure method 2 would work on 3rd party firmware or not.

Comment

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
      I also was confused when I had been trying to find any info on how to flash ROM just using device itself or at least linux PC. Most of the guides on the web relies on some windows compatible tools like RKBatchTool or RKFlashTool.
      Although later I found some instructions and tools for flashing ROM using device itself or linux PC.
      For linux PC one can use either adb or rkflashkit with GUI.
      MINIX admin in that thread mentions two flashing methods one of which looks similar to one you described in your first post (but for some reasons it is struck out):
      Yes, method 2 sounds like what I want, anyone try it with their OEM F/W ?
      Well other Android mini PC companies use this simple method to update their F/W !
      It is useless to have frequent updates in Minix's case if only 5% of its users will attempt it !

Comment

Originally posted by EdT View Post
        Yes, method 2 sounds like what I want, anyone try it with their OEM F/W ?
        Well other Android mini PC companies use this simple method to update their F/W !
        It is useless to have frequent updates in Minix's case if only 5% of its users will attempt it !

Found a wierd install issue with onelover (kirks) first beta of new rom that put my box into flash mode. i tried with a x5 and when i flashed from kasty rom to kirks in cwm it put the box into flash mode without a pin set power up so thought it may be a way to by pass the pin set flash and program flash so it seems there is a way to get around the complicated flash and getting windows to see box, i re flashed it to kasty 005 and it did same again when i tried cwm,,, so maybe work around there some way>
        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Working...
        X