Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disscussion about returns

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post
    Just thinking out loud here...but in doing some research online I've come across plenty of posts from 701C owners who have locked themselves out of their tablet because they set a swipe pattern/password pin etc and can't remember it.

The only way to resolve this situation for the typical consumer is to restore the tablet to factory default settings by reinstalling factory firmware. Many of these customers have presumably been waiting weeks for Polaroid to release the stock Firmware....kinda crappy customer support if ya ask me!

I'd be pretty angry if I got locked out my new purchase and customer support basically told me to sit around and wait for a month or so until they got around to it

Oh, please. This is what Windows and Mac using morons deserve. I'm sick and tired of people who can't be bothered to read the ******* instructions of what they spend $$$$ on and then whining about the fact after they screw the device up.

God, whatever happened to people being knowledgeable about what they were doing?

This isn't an opinions forum it's a help forum so help or get lost!

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
    Oh, please. This is what Windows and Mac using morons deserve. I'm sick and tired of people who can't be bothered to read the ******* instructions of what they spend $$$$ on and then whining about the fact after they screw the device up.

God, whatever happened to people being knowledgeable about what they were doing?
    Well aren't we the snarky lil shit. Heaven forbid ppl sometimes need assistance from their peers! Hope you're all stocked up on your KY personal lubricant, with an attitude like yours someday someone is bound to give it to you where the sun don't shine!

Just sorry we weren't all born perfect like you, but guess being a douche is reserved exclusively for people like you.

Comment

Can forum users please refrain from unnecessary language in the forums. Although the forum is intended to encourage debate a better use of wording would be advisable please.

Thank you

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
      Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
      <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
      <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
      <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
      https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
      </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Nux View Post
        Well aren't we the snarky lil shit. Heaven forbid ppl sometimes need assistance from their peers! Hope you're all stocked up on your KY personal lubricant, with an attitude like yours someday someone is bound to give it to you where the sun don't shine!

Just sorry we weren't all born perfect like you, but guess being a douche is reserved exclusively for people like you.
        This isn't about needing assistance from your "peers" It's about taking responsibility for your own actions. If you don't know what the **** you're doing and ard aren't willing to take the time to learn something about it before doing it, why are you screwing around with it to begin with? Just to prove how big of an idiot you are?

Comment

Let's all remember everyone was a noob at one time. We were not born with the knowledge of how programming works, we had to learn it. And we learned it by doing. Yes mistakes will be made but that is how EVERYONE learns. So please before anyone gets banned please tone down the cursing.
          If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

Comment

I see any more name calling or fowl language and you WILL get infractions and possible time outs (temp ban).

Understand?

Last warning.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Sorry about this...

Originally posted by Damo View Post
              Can forum users please refrain from unnecessary language in the forums. Although the forum is intended to encourage debate a better use of wording would be advisable please.

Thank you

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
              I just get fed up with people who seem to run around trying to blame everyone but themselves for *THEIR* screwups.

The guys at Southern Telecom seem to be a lot more responsive than a lot of the other people who are bringing these tablets out,especially to things that may or may not actually be their fault. I say cut them some slack, They are actually revamping their web site in response to the comments they are getting. How many of the other outfits selling these thing especailly at much higher prices have really done something similar?

Comment

Much better. Keep it toned down.

I will just state that I do agree with this. If I screwed up my tablet flashing a ROM or whatever I believe it is unethical to return it and make some company or retailer eat this mistake. This simply drives prices up or stops vendors from providing any support what so ever. I frown when I see people say they are going to return something they messed up.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by helpless automation View Post
                  Let's all remember everyone was a noob at one time. We were not born with the knowledge of how programming works, we had to learn it. And we learned it by doing. Yes mistakes will be made but that is how EVERYONE learns. So please before anyone gets banned please tone down the cursing.
                  This has nothing with being a noob. It has everything with treating this like it's some kind of game, which it isn't. Hey, I don't really know what I'm doing in trying to flash this thing, but so what? If I trash the thingy I I'll just take it back to the store-hehehe.

Guess what? Retailers have caught on to this and are either refusing to take stuff back, or making everybody jump through ridiculous hoops in order to get a refund for stuff that really is defective out of the box, which is something else I quite frankly don't appericate.

Comment

Wow..

Ok..I feel a little responsible for the trainwreck this thread became. For the record I wasn't trying to hijack the thread or get people so riled up.

I also wasn't implying that people who have attempted to mod their tablet, flash their table or otherwise messed it up should expect S.T. or Polaroid to kiss their rears and support them.

I was actually referring to many posts I've come across where the user has innocently (and stupidly) locked themselves out of their tablet for legitimate reasons. There are also at least a couple posts where their kids have used the tablet and locked them out. I've also had several "friends" in the past who decided it was funny to set the language on a phone etc. to Spanish and then leave it for the victim to figure out. So the fact is people can get locked out either via their own legitimate neglect or the actions of others out there who aren't so nice/informed.

I don't think expecting a company to promptly respond with firmware files (that no doubt already exist) for these issues is asking too much. It's also not asking much when the company has all of this "locked out of my tablet" stuff published in their own support portion of their website.

Just as C,lei is fed up with "Windows and Mac using morons", many consumers could also be fed up with companies that publicly release products they aren't ready to support. In my opinion, and it's just an opinion, these companies maybe shouldn't start selling boatloads of products they aren't ready to support. Things happen. If you aren't ready to help the TYPICAL end consumer with at least minimal support by helping them promptly restore their device to factory firmware for legitimate issues....then maybe you should wait the extra month or two to get things together on the support end PRIOR to selling product. Just sayin'

Also, I was NEVER trying to imply Polaroid or S.T. should promptly email or provide ROM/Firmware files to someone who has voluntarily messed with their tablet and the OS in an attempt to modify it. I'm fairly certain everyone here in this forum realizes any changes they make to the system related files on their device is done at their own peril. When you root etc. it's game over in terms of warranty and I think MOST of us here acknowledge and respect that.

When I derailed this thread I was honestly thinking out loud and feeling a little sorry for those end users who have been locked out of their devices due to legitimate and honest mistakes. (They were dumb and forgot a swipe pattern, their kids played around with the device...or heaven forbid something was wonky with the firmware on the manufacturers end)

Luckily none of these situations apply to me. However after reading about it in the FAQ on the Polaroid/S.T. support page and in posts in other forums...I can imagine I'd be pretty upset if it did apply to me.

I'm a parent...and I know what kids can do with the best of intentions. I also have many relatives who bring me things they've managed to screw up. I know it does happen. Being told to wait several weeks and that I shouldn't return the tablet would probably frost my cookies. (Especially if I had purchased multiple tablets like some of the posts I've seen)

I hope noone misterprets and thinks anyone here is suggesting users who have modified their tablet should expect the manufacturer to jump to their rescue. Likewise, nobody here is suggesting you should return your tablet if you've modded it and bricked it.

However...if you've been legitimately locked out due to a forgotten PW/PIN/Swipe Pattern or other issue and the manufacturer is unwilling/unable to support their product, then I'd return it. I certainly wouldn't accept an answer of "sometime in a few weeks". If you are unable to help support me with a support procedure you've already listed in your manual and support documentation it's not my fault.

I'm aware if a savy user here screwed themselves up they could rescue things with a reflash and ROM's provided here. I was thinking of the end user who doesn't know a thing about modding/hacking android tablets. Even if they did discover a forum such as this they would simply be presented with a remedy that would void their warranty....I guess it's either wait for weeks and see if the manufacturer decides to support their product, attempt a warranty voiding re-flash, or return the product

Just my $.02

Comment

If you want to see where things go when support is promised and not given...

I can recomend looking over the fiasco that was the Logitech Revue. Overall it is not too bad a little device (I have one), but there was an endless series of delays before the last software version came out that tarnished Google, Logitech, and really irked a large part of the public. Ultimately Logitech was hurt very bad as a company over it.

The only reason I even took the plunge to cheching the Onda firmwares was because there were people locked out then. If you look around at my posts I always encouraged the user to try to contact SouthernTelecom to see if they would honor their commitment on their FAQ page to send out the current firmware to those that are locked out. Realisticaly I was mostly trying to give people an option so they didn't go running back to Big Lots to return the device. If they decided they liked it better than stock then that is their preference.

I have every reason to believe that part of the reason it is taking awhile is because they want to Iron out some of the bugs that have been found, biggest of which would probably be the Netflix issue since that is something that alot of people would want to pick up this tablet for.

Now as for returning something that you messed up, I am totally against that. I was taught "you broke it you bought it" when I was growing up and I still think that is fair. It is unfortunate that there are so many in the world that do not.

Oh and by the way, when messing with these ROM's (and I have done my fair share in the last few weeks) it requires both Windows and Linux to really work on them since there are many tools designed to work on one platform or another. Windows when working closer to the Image level and Linux when working closer to the android level.

Comment

Originally posted by helpless automation View Post
                        Very well spoken friend, thank you.

Comment

We all have to make errors to learn from them....I for one have made many since I recieved my first g1. Hack away ...there are still people like me out here that enjoy helping when we can.

Comment

Oh, please. This is what Windows and Mac using morons deserve. I'm sick and tired of people who can't be bothered to read the instructions of what they spend $$$$ on and then whining about the fact after they screw the device up.

Hello!

Without being profane about it, I agree with what you're saying. Most of the people with forgotten password issues bought one of these for their kid, who set up (and subsequently forgot) a password PIN or pattern. When trying to help others, I do so while keeping in mind that most of the time, a lot of people are total idiots as far as technology is concerned.

If *I* muck the tablet up, I don't expect either BL or ST to bail me out with another tablet. In that case, I eat it, live, and learn.

My opinion is that if I need to reflash my tablet to fix it, and the manufacturer's support site TELLS ME that I have to reflash to get my tablet back, then I expect for the images I need to do that with to be available for download ON the support site. They're not. Therefore, I have a problem with this.

Since at this time, the only other option in this case is to return the tablet, I will return mine if it goes south during the return period due to something that "just happens" that I can't fix myself, and will advise others to do the same until we get what we need from the manufacturer to support ourselves.

Being forgetful myself, I've decided not to set a password up.

73 DE N4RPS/3
                            Rob
                            Last edited by N4RPS; 04-21-2012, 06:41.

Comment

The guys at Southern Telecom seem to be a lot more responsive than a lot of the other people who are bringing these tablets out,especially to things that may or may not actually be their fault.
                              From what *I* have experienced from my own dealings with them, I must disagree with that statement. I also have a Cruz, and Velocity Micro HAS what I need (AND an ADB driver) on THEIR support site.

ST refers to steps to resolve certain issues, yet does not provide the necessary components for end users to actually carry these steps out. In a word, this is UNACCEPTABLE.

In addition, VM's support site also functions as it ought to. Can't say the same for ST's site. Try and use it to contact them, and you'll see what I mean. It makes me wonder if ANYONE there actually TESTED this site at all before they threw it up.

It's undisputable that ST has given us a GREAT little tablet here. If/when their end-user support gets to where it ought to be, then I'll feel a whole lot better about them.

For the 700/7100/7200/7300, none of this seems to have been a problem, so why is it now a problem to provide the same support tools for the 701c/701i?

73 DE N4RPS/3
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X