How to root Polaroid S8-S10 > TUT <

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to root Polaroid S8-S10 > TUT <

Ok so thanks to Klown80 over at xda, I was able to root the Polaroid S10 Tablet.
    For thse of you that have been searching all over the interwebs for a solution to this problem well here you go
    ( Yes it says for the XOLO X1000 but it worked perfectly for the Polaroid S8-S10 )

How to root XOLO X1000

***Disclaimer - You accept full responsibility if by using these directions your device explodes, leaves you for another owner, or just decides it doesn't like you anymore. I am not responsible!***

***CREDITS***
    I did not create Impactor nor Snappea, I just managed to figure out Impactor works to obtain root on this device and many others

ALL credit for Cydia Impactor tool belongs only to its developer Saurik

Make SURE you have USB DEBUGGING turned on

Next, you will need suitable drivers, there is a way to install drivers elsewhere but a much quicker way is to go to www.Snappea.com and install this program on your PC, it is just a program that allows your phone to better interact with your PC but the bonus is that it can install generic drivers (including that much needed ADB driver) for almost any device! Once snappea is installed simply connect your phone to your PC when Snappea prompts you to.

Finally go here:

Download Impactor and unzip the file, once unzipped simply open the Impactor folder and double click the Impactor Application. This will pop up a box that says Cydia Impactor at top on your screen. You should see a drop down menu that currently says "# drop SuperSU su into /system/xbin/su". Make sure that command is showing in the drop down box and press the start button on the right side.

Once this completes you will just need to download your favorite Superuser or SuperSU app onto your device then update binary and you are rooted!

Good luck!!
    Last edited by DudeGuy; 12-03-2013, 19:16.

Thanks!

Anyone else try this?
    Polaroid S8
    Blackberry Torch
    Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
    Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
    (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
    (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
    Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
    ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

Comment

Originally posted by jsta6 View Post
      Thanks!

Anyone else try this?
      Cydia Impactor is known to work on many (if not all) of the current Nextbook Amlogic based tablets.

If I recall correctly, the Polaroid S8 and S10 are also Amlogic based, so it would most likely work on them as well.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

rooted

yes, worked fine. but download the updated rom with google play store.

Thanks!

Anyone else try this?

Comment

Originally posted by tman View Post
          yes, worked fine. but download the updated rom with google play store.

www.southerntelecom.com/s10/
          What version is it? Sorry, I don't see it...
          Polaroid S8
          Blackberry Torch

Comment

the update

the update takes you right to the update page to download the new version for the s10. the a8 has a different update. v4.22 jb with play store. Also this tablet did not come rooted, i had to root it with cydia impactor.

What version is it? Sorry, I don't see it...

Comment

Originally posted by tman View Post
              the update takes you right to the update page to download the new version for the s10. the a8 has a different update. v4.22 jb with play store. Also this tablet did not come rooted, i had to root it with cydia impactor.
              ahhh...got it...thanks...
              Polaroid S8
              Blackberry Torch

Comment

s8 not recognized through USB

If I use the Southtelecom firmware upgrade, then device is found using the key trick and the driver is installed.
                But Windows does not even recognize the device getting plugged in even after USB debugging is turned on.

What am I missing?

Comment

Highly Recommend NOT installing S8/A8 firmware update.

Originally posted by PMisYMMV View Post
                  If I use the Southtelecom firmware upgrade, then device is found using the key trick and the driver is installed.
                  But Windows does not even recognize the device getting plugged in even after USB debugging is turned on.

What am I missing?
                  It's not a Windows problem unfortunately, although getting ADB/Fastboot to work on Windows 8.1 was quite a hassle. The problem is that the A8 firmware update removes all ADB support from the device. So even though USB debugging mode is enabled, access via ADB has been cut off. Unfortunately, this severely restricts any potential development abilities for this device.

As of now I have tried a number of exploits meant for both related Polaroid devices and universal root exploit tools - none of which have been successful. So that means, unless someone else has already found a workaround and just hasn't posted it yet, after updating the firmware the A8 is unrootable. Which sucks considering that the only thing useful the firmware update really accomplished was installing the Google Play store and a few other Google apps. The Android version is the exact same as before, though the kernel & build versions are different. It's still just as wonky and glitchy as the previous version of the firmware, so I'm really not seeing much of a reason to install it when you can just sideload Google Apps with the original firmware and keep your root access as well.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make a nandroid for the older stock rom firmware, so I'm stuck with the newer firmware. Fortunately I bought 2 of these as I planned on giving one to my little brother for Christmas, so I'll probably just give the one I updated to him.

Comment

After applying the firmware update I used Kingo Android Root and now have root!

Comment

Driver issue

Originally posted by thobbs66 View Post
                      After applying the firmware update I used Kingo Android Root and now have root!
                      How can I do anything from PC, if the device can not be accessed. In the device manager I see this error after PheonixSuit installation, for USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)
                      "This device can not start (Code 10)"

I tried this on 2 different laptops, same driver error. Is there anyway I can get past this?

Comment

Originally posted by BlingDiggity View Post
                        It's not a Windows problem unfortunately, although getting ADB/Fastboot to work on Windows 8.1 was quite a hassle. The problem is that the A8 firmware update removes all ADB support from the device. So even though USB debugging mode is enabled, access via ADB has been cut off. Unfortunately, this severely restricts any potential development abilities for this device.

As of now I have tried a number of exploits meant for both related Polaroid devices and universal root exploit tools - none of which have been successful. So that means, unless someone else has already found a workaround and just hasn't posted it yet, after updating the firmware the A8 is unrootable. Which sucks considering that the only thing useful the firmware update really accomplished was installing the Google Play store and a few other Google apps. The Android version is the exact same as before, though the kernel & build versions are different. It's still just as wonky and glitchy as the previous version of the firmware, so I'm really not seeing much of a reason to install it when you can just sideload Google Apps with the original firmware and keep your root access as well.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make a nandroid for the older stock rom firmware, so I'm stuck with the newer firmware. Fortunately I bought 2 of these as I planned on giving one to my little brother for Christmas, so I'll probably just give the one I updated to him.
                        crap, I saw someone in the start of thread to install update before doing this. oh well.
                        The tablet seems much more responsive after update, it was simply unusable before, was thinking of returning it. I would rather have an un-rootable one than the sluggish one that frustrates.

Is there any safe way to have both root and update it?

Comment

Originally posted by PMisYMMV View Post
                          crap, I saw someone in the start of thread to install update before doing this. oh well.
                          The tablet seems much more responsive after update, it was simply unusable before, was thinking of returning it. I would rather have an un-rootable one than the sluggish one that frustrates.

Is there any safe way to have both root and update it?
                          Well, I don't know about that kingo root method thobbs mentioned, but as of right now i haven't found a workaround for the lack of adb support after updating. However, elektric says he can do it if he has ppl willing to test. In fact I'm fairly certain that even after the update it can be rooted via Linux, but right now I don't have a working Linux box, so there's no way I can find out for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BlingDiggity View Post
                            Well, I don't know about that kingo root method thobbs mentioned, but as of right now i haven't found a workaround for the lack of adb support after updating. However, elektric says he can do it if he has ppl willing to test. In fact I'm fairly certain that even after the update it can be rooted via Linux, but right now I don't have a working Linux box, so there's no way I can find out for sure.
                            I'll pick apart the image when I get some free time and see what I can learn......I did it for the S7, but no one's responded whether my modified image works-that's why I don't like doing this-everyone wants help but no one willing to test :-|
                            https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                              I'll pick apart the image when I get some free time and see what I can learn......I did it for the S7, but no one's responded whether my modified image works-that's why I don't like doing this-everyone wants help but no one willing to test :-|
                              My S8 is unrootable. I am willing, if you can provide me a safe way to test. Well scratch that, I bought at Kohls, so will just test it.

Comment

Working...
                              X