Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

App to change device identifier in build.prop on the fly..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App to change device identifier in build.prop on the fly..

I got a hold of an app called Device Spoof. The app's purpose is to change build.prop to make Google think you have a different device (such as Nexus) thus allowing you to have access to every app on Google Play, with the touch of a button.

The good news is, it does successfully change your build.prop identifiers and asks you to reboot.

The bad news is, I've tried to spoof my PMID701c with about 3 different high-end device and each change resulted in an infinite cycle between the blue "Internet Tablet" splash screen, and the shining Android logo (otherwise known as a bootloop) which I had to (easily) rescue with ADB by using the remount command to make /system RW, and then pushing through my backed up original build.prop

I will continue to experiment with this and try to find identifiers that do work for us, since recovering from the bootloop this causes is not a problem.

P.S if anyone else is stuck in this bootloop, do this (adb required of course):
    1) While you see the boot loop cycling, plugin your tab to USB. You should hear the "new device" acknowledgement sound on your PC.

2)Pull up cmd, navigate to where you have adb working, and type this command:

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandc /system

ADB will not confirm that it has done this, only go back to waiting for another command. This is OK.
    3)Place your backed up build.prop in the same folder where you have adb.exe. If you did not back up your original build.prop. several of us PMID701 series users have posted ours and they should be usable by pasting it into notepad, and saving and naming the file as "build.prop"

4)Finally, input this command into your adb:

adb push build.prop /system

Unplug, and reboot. This boot will take longer than normal, but after a few minutes, you're back in business.

Hmm. Great

Originally posted by artistlogic View Post
    I got a hold of an app called Device Spoof. The app's purpose is to change build.prop to make Google think you have a different device (such as Nexus) thus allowing you to have access to every app on Google Play, with the touch of a button.

The good news is, it does successfully change your build.prop identifiers and asks you to reboot.

The bad news is, I've tried to spoof my PMID701c with about 3 different high-end device and each change resulted in an infinite cycle between the blue "Internet Tablet" splash screen, and the shining Android logo (otherwise known as a bootloop) which I had to (easily) rescue with ADB by using the remount command to make /system RW, and then pushing through my backed up original build.prop

I will continue to experiment with this and try to find identifiers that do work for us, since recovering from the bootloop this causes is not a problem.

P.S if anyone else is stuck in this bootloop, do this (adb required of course):
    1) While you see the boot loop cycling, plugin your tab to USB. You should hear the "new device" acknowledgement sound on your PC.

2)Pull up cmd, navigate to where you have adb working, and type this command:

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandc /system

ADB will not confirm that it has done this, only go back to waiting for another command. This is OK.
    3)Place your backed up build.prop in the same folder where you have adb.exe. If you did not back up your original build.prop. several of us PMID701 series users have posted ours and they should be usable by pasting it into notepad, and saving and naming the file as "build.prop"

4)Finally, input this command into your adb:

adb push build.prop /system

Unplug, and reboot. This boot will take longer than normal, but after a few minutes, you're back in business.
    We are on the right path here. Question have you tried a complete root and then this app you found?

Comment

I have tried with and without a RW /system and even though it successfully makes the changes (allows you to choose to reboot later and view your current build.prop info) after the reboot, I'm still getting a boot loop. It's almost like this A10 is looking to verify a line somewhere in order to boot the OS, that is not being changed with the app for some reason...
      These are the fields that Device Spoofer is changing:

Anyone have any idea of the line our A10 is looking for? If we can figure this out, at the very minimum, I can use Device Spoofer to get the fingerprint info required and post them.
      Attached Files

Comment

Did any of you ever have success with this?

I had been reading that some programs simply do not write the file correctly. In other words, on some ROMS, using the editing within Root Explorer for example, will also cause bootloops. But, doing the same changes using the build.prop editor doesn't. I am wondering if we noted the changes from Device Spoofer, and manually added them using build.prop editor, if that would allow it to boot.
        Jim
        ---
        Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
        Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
        Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

Comment

Working...
        X