Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email doesn't alert of new emails when sleeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email doesn't alert of new emails when sleeping?

I had assumed that wifi was turned off automatically when the device was put into standby, but if I start Pandora and then put the unit in standby, it will play pandra forever withut stopping.

So, why wouldn't mail work when in standby? Is there any way to "enable" or "disable" apps while sleeping??

Thanks!

Originally posted by jtrosky View Post
    I had assumed that wifi was turned off automatically when the device was put into standby, but if I start Pandora and then put the unit in standby, it will play pandra forever withut stopping.

So, why wouldn't mail work when in standby? Is there any way to "enable" or "disable" apps while sleeping??

Thanks!
    I am having this same problem. But what is even worse, the built in alarm clock does not go off either, until I wake the device up. This actually caused me to oversleep one morning. DOH! I have tried many work arounds, but nothing has worked thus far.
    Jim
    ---
    Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
    Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
    Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

Comment

Yeah, I have multiple "inexpensive" (<$150 each) 7" tablets, all from different manufacturers - one Tegra 2 device, one Cortex A8 device and two Allwinner A10 devices and they ALL exhibit this same behaviour - NONE of them will wake up to sound alarms or inform you of new emails or reminders!!

I'm assuming they do that because the batteries in the 7" tablets are obviously smaller than they are in the larger tablets - at least that's the only reasoning that I can think of.... And it sucks! At least give me the option! That makes the devices A LOT less useful than they could be....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by jtrosky View Post
        Yeah, I have multiple "inexpensive" (<$150 each) 7" tablets, all from different manufacturers - one Tegra 2 device, one Cortex A8 device and two Allwinner A10 devices and they ALL exhibit this same behaviour - NONE of them will wake up to sound alarms or inform you of new emails or reminders!!

I'm assuming they do that because the batteries in the 7" tablets are obviously smaller than they are in the larger tablets - at least that's the only reasoning that I can think of.... And it sucks! At least give me the option! That makes the devices A LOT less useful than they could be....

I found that if you run the clock app, the unit stays awake while plugged in. Alarms and notifications work all night long.

I am testing it now on battery power.

EDIT. Does not work under battery power. Damn! Surely there is a config file somewhere that can be edited to allow this.
        Last edited by Lexridge; 05-20-2012, 04:11.
        Jim
        ---

Comment

Must be some power management policy...

I am also investigating this issue. If the tablet is USB powered up, the tablet can be wake up by alarm/notification. However, under battery power there may be some more restrictive power policy to prohibit such activities.

I wonder if some apps such as paid Juice Defender may overwrite such limitation. I tried the free version, it didn't help.

Comment

Wakelock is the answer

I think that I found the answer on this article after google on Wakelock

But I use one free apps (noSleep) and it work. It prevent deep sleep.

Apparently the alarm_rc is the key. It may take some more digging to find a good apps that only make sure alarm_rc is alive and others sleep to max battery life with alarm and notification working...

And it seem to be major plague for many tablet. I wonder why no one post it in this forum...

Comment

Originally posted by dukja View Post
              I think that I found the answer on this article after google on Wakelock

But I use one free apps (noSleep) and it work. It prevent deep sleep.

Apparently the alarm_rc is the key. It may take some more digging to find a good apps that only make sure alarm_rc is alive and others sleep to max battery life with alarm and notification working...

And it seem to be major plague for many tablet. I wonder why no one post it in this forum...
              Hmm - even with noSleep, I still don't get alerted when new emails come in, etc... You are getting new email alerts when the device is in standby?

Thanks.

Comment

Juice Defender also works

Yes, I got new mails, notifications, and alarms all working with noSleep. However, during these tests I always manually pushed the power button to standby. Later I found my noSleep actually prevented tablet from going to screen off, so I switch to Juice Defender.

For noSleep, you need to make it a widget and select "Sleep Off". Make sure your wifi is connected and sync turn on before going to screen off. Then, you switch to standby, your notifications should come.

And Juice Defender Ultimate does seem to work. It is a little bit tricky to set everything right. However, it does allows alarms and already synced events in Google calendar to go off. For new event or coming mail, you need to use "Schedule" to periodically wake up tablet (still screen off), turn on wifi, and sync. I need to remember not manually turn off wifi since JD will honor your decision and will not turn on and sync.

I think for $5, it is essential to tablet users. And it saves energy and protect the environment. US EPA should enforce every Android devices to have this energy saving function built in, consider the number of devices charging every day...

Comment

This seems to be a common problem with all AllWinner tablets. My new Zeki does the same thing too.
                  Jim
                  ---

Comment

Working...
                  X