Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone aware of TTL serial port pins on these boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone aware of TTL serial port pins on these boxes?

I apologize if this has been asked before (I did I quick search and could not find it). Does anyone know if these K(/T)-R42 type of devices carry pins for a serial console connection (using a TTL voltage converter)? I've looked at several pictures of boards online and wonder if those 3 unsoldered pins shown below could be GND/TX/RX.

I am looking to have a serial connection for more detailed troubleshooting and de-bricking options (so I can be more adventurous in my mod tentative J).
    As a reference, Omegamoon has how to add such pins to the RK3188 TV slick MK908: http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static.php?page=mk908_serial_console. I imagine there should be a way to do with the K-R42s.

Thanks for any info you guys may have on that.

Originally posted by JoKeRz View Post
    I apologize if this has been asked before (I did I quick search and could not find it). Does anyone know if these K(/T)-R42 type of devices carry pins for a serial console connection (using a TTL voltage converter)? I've looked at several pictures of boards online and wonder if those 3 unsoldered pins shown below could be GND/TX/RX.

I am looking to have a serial connection for more detailed troubleshooting and de-bricking options (so I can be more adventurous in my mod tentative J).
    As a reference, Omegamoon has how to add such pins to the RK3188 TV slick MK908: http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static.php?page=mk908_serial_console. I imagine there should be a way to do with the K-R42s.

Thanks for any info you guys may have on that.

what results?

Comment

This three pinholes are really serial port.
      If count from left to right it is: Rx, Tx and Gnd. I mark them on picture too.
      Rx - receive data pin
      Tx - transmit data pin
      Gnd - ground pin

Take in account that this signals are marked from board point of view, so if you want read serial port output then you must connect you Serial-to-TTL converter Rx pin with this onboard Tx pin and vice versa.

And I hope, that you already know that it is TTL levels input/output so you must use Serial-to-TTL converter and do not try to connect directly to PC COM port, I just remind...

Comment

Awesome work, SolarWarez! Thanks for being courageous enough to try the port. I will
        solder pins on my T-R42 rev1.1 later this week and check the messages that come
        out during boot. Having the serial port should give us extra confidence to try
        our own compiled kernels, etc.

Comment

You are welcome.

It took 1 minute to check this pinholes by oscilloscope and determine where is Tx.
          I am already solder connector to my T-R42 clone board. I used connector from PC fan because they have 3 pins and a latch that allow to don't worry about wrong insertion (but it looks quite cumbersome).

All works fine.

Comment

H ave you had success with this method of unbricking any units?

Comment

Originally posted by SolarWarez View Post
              You are welcome.

It took 1 minute to check this pinholes by oscilloscope and determine where is Tx.
              I am already solder connector to my T-R42 clone board. I used connector from PC fan because they have 3 pins and a latch that allow to don't worry about wrong insertion (but it looks quite cumbersome).

All works fine.

Does the fan works with speed control?

Comment

Working...
              X