New device won't turn on, stuck on standby with no response from tv or pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New device won't turn on, stuck on standby with no response from tv or pc

I bought the K-R42 from an **** seller, and after a long awaited month it finally arrived! Unfortunately, when I set it up with the TV, nothing happens. The red standby light around the power button is on, but when I press it nothing happens. From the tv side of things, it says that there is no signal from the device. It's definitely not a TV issue as its an new smart tv, and I've tried each HDMI port, including the MHL one, and the analogue - nada.

After a bit of reading I thought that maybe I had bad firmware, so tried to connect it to my laptop to flash new firmware, however windows doesn't detect anything as being plugged in. This isn't a laptop/usb fault as I also tried the lab computers in my school and again, no response from windows. I also tried connecting to HDMI using schools monitors, with no luck.

I think I got a dead device, but am hesitant to send it back to the seller before trying everything possible. It took long enough to get here, I probably won't be able to use it by February if I have to return it. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Can I reinstall firmware with USB, instead of using an OTG cable?

EDIT: So I opened up the device and took a look at the PCB. I think it is a CS918 clone. It is the same as this guy here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...possible-t-r42 Although he gets a boot logo, I've yet to get that far. He seems to also be able to connect to PC to flash which I am also unable to do.
    Last edited by Liam1991; 12-19-2013, 01:42.

hi and welcome to freaktab,
    Sorry to hear you have issues..

Lets see..
    What whould I do..
    First contact the reseller..State the problem -ask for a solution
    -Dont mention flashing.. [most resellers policy is flashing=no more warranty]

--Try a other power source [perhaps not enough power to boot? ]
    --see if the powerbutton or the reset button are not stuck [On modus]
    -Try using reset button -See if you can get to recovery modus [you need keyb for navigation]
    --recovery mode ; No power hold reset, power unit.. wait 10sec release reset button
    ---Try powering the unit using USB-otg cable [encase a fuse problem]

Note.. about flashing
    There are more then 1 version of the K-r42 series
    This means..you need to screw open your unit.. to id your PCB version number
    -then you can find.. a firmware thats compatible with your unit

Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      hi and welcome to freaktab,
      Sorry to hear you have issues..

Lets see..
      What whould I do..
      First contact the reseller..State the problem -ask for a solution
      -Dont mention flashing.. [most resellers policy is flashing=no more warranty]

--Try a other power source [perhaps not enough power to boot? ]
      --see if the powerbutton or the reset button are not stuck [On modus]
      -Try using reset button -See if you can get to recovery modus [you need keyb for navigation]
      --recovery mode ; No power hold reset, power unit.. wait 10sec release reset button
      ---Try powering the unit using USB-otg cable [encase a fuse problem]

Note.. about flashing
      There are more then 1 version of the K-r42 series
      This means..you need to screw open your unit.. to id your PCB version number
      -then you can find.. a firmware thats compatible with your unit

Goodluck
      Thanks for your reply. I've tried power sources, I don't think it's a problem with power since it goes to standby (pic attached).
      Power and reset button are not stuck either, checked both.
      Tried to go in to recovery mode like you said but it didn't seem to do anything. TV still showed no signal and box stayed with red standby light.

Here is a picture of the state it is stuck in: http://imgur.com/GBeLSsR

And a pic of the PCB boad (courtesy of gedas3) http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/14/2e6a7e4a.jpg

Comment

Well..ones
        I got the same red light.. [on a rk3066 device]
        -when i contact the reseller.. hey stated ; its wating for firmware
        --I needed to download firmware.. place it.. in root of sdcard [fat32]
        -hold buttons.. then it started installing fw..

--You could try that if all fails
        Its best to wait.. for the resellers solution.. or a wise person on freaktab..

Comment

I have the Andoer cs918 RK 3188 rockchip model , and it is also on stand by mode,
          so how to get the firmware to install on the root of the sd card to see if it install?

See my photos below for the software Ver. and built number

Please if any one has the stock firmware or a custom Rom to flash it will really help me out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18874.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	597283 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18875.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	597280

Name:	image_18876.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	597282 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18877.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	597281

**BTW the photo is before it get stuck in Red light standby mode.....

Comment

Here are images of the board

Name:	Resized_20160916_203238_001.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	597308 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160916_205421.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	597307 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160916_203147.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	597309

Comment

Possible Fix: I bought 4 of these recently and couldn't turn them on with the remote....had to unplug and plug in every time. I spent 3 days trying to teach myself how to install firmware etc to no avail. Eventually, I just rooted it and it started working perfectly instantly. In fact too perfectly, I only have to graze the power button now and it turns on or off, but I'll take that. It came with SuperSU already installed, I clicked on that, set it up and that was it. I would uncheck the box that says 'ask permission for future updates' though. My only problem was the power on with the remote, if you can't get anything even when you unplug and plug in, that might be something else.

Comment

Working...
              X