This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally dont Hijack Threads...

I cant find info on this thing for the life of me, and I finally stumbled on this forum and registered! I'm familiar (though not an expert) with rooting and using adb. I have spent 3 hours on two separate computers trying to get phoenixsuit to recognize my tablet to push the updated image - and it wont see my device. I got this for my kids for Christmas and its unusable as it is. Would anyone be able to help or offer advice?
    Last edited by nomedix; 12-29-2013, 20:10. Reason: words

Comment

So, I've installed and rooted and all that jazz. Problem I've noticed I'm having is that I can only get to TWRP recovery through the backup/recovery option. If I power off the A/S8 and try with the Volume + Home and Power way it just goes into a weird mode, which I'm guessing is dev-recovery mode of some sort.

I'm pretty proficient in installing and rooting Android devices but I've never run into a problem where I can't boot into recovery unless it's done through the OS before. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by nomedix View Post
        I cant find info on this thing for the life of me, and I finally stumbled on this forum and registered! I'm familiar (though not an expert) with rooting and using adb. I have spent 3 hours on two separate computers trying to get phoenixsuit to recognize my tablet to push the updated image - and it wont see my device. I got this for my kids for Christmas and its unusable as it is. Would anyone be able to help or offer advice?
        There are a few things, did you install PhoenixSuit and allow the drivers to get installed while doing it? I've found thats the best. Just make sure you have USB debugging on and stay alive is checked. Is your tablet already rooted? If not you'll need to root it first. There should be a thread here that describes how to do that as well.

So I guess we would need to know a few things before we can help.
        1. Is the tablet a Polaroid A/S8?
        2. Did you do an update through the tablet when you first got it?
        3. Did you root it?
        4. Are all the settings set to what they need to be, aka USB debugging and stay alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadphyre View Post
          There are a few things, did you install PhoenixSuit and allow the drivers to get installed while doing it? I've found thats the best. Just make sure you have USB debugging on and stay alive is checked. Is your tablet already rooted? If not you'll need to root it first. There should be a thread here that describes how to do that as well.

So I guess we would need to know a few things before we can help.
          1. Is the tablet a Polaroid A/S8?
          2. Did you do an update through the tablet when you first got it?
          3. Did you root it?
          4. Are all the settings set to what they need to be, aka USB debugging and stay alive.

Thanks for the reply!!!

USB Debugging is on, and I allowed the PhoenixSuit Drivers to install on both computers, while using USBDeview piror to remove any potential conflicting drivers. It is already rooted, though SuperSu binaries wouldnt update (figured id mess with that later).

1. Yes it is.
          2. No, but based on what ive read, i think I have the "user" version (it came with play store).
          3.Yes. I used
          Cydia Impactor.
          4. Yes and Yes (and by stay alive, you mean stay awake, yes? Just making sure that I didnt miss something).

My computer sees the device, device manager says everything is good, and I can browse files. Just PhoenixSuit v1.0.8 wont acknoledge my device is plugged in.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!!!

USB Debugging is on, and I allowed the PhoenixSuit Drivers to install on both computers, while using USBDeview piror to remove any potential conflicting drivers. It is already rooted, though SuperSu binaries wouldnt update (figured id mess with that later).

1. Yes it is.
            2. No, but based on what ive read, i think I have the "user" version (it came with play store).
            3.Yes. I used
            Cydia Impactor.
            4. Yes and Yes (and by stay alive, you mean stay awake, yes? Just making sure that I didnt miss something).

My computer sees the device, device manager says everything is good, and I can browse files. Just PhoenixSuit v1.0.8 wont acknoledge my device is plugged in.
            Did you run SuperSU after installing? I've done that before, rooted it and installed SuperSU but sometimes I actually forget to enable it.

So the device manager on windows shows it. The little bell rings when you plug the tablet in with the USB. I've read in a few spots that the drivers might have installed incorrectly.

So the next thing I would suggest in uninstalling PhoenixSuite and reinstalling them.

Comment

Ive already done that, but will again one more time to be damned sure the drivers arent at fault. So, to be clear, you didnt install any windows update or other adb drivers... just what came with phoenixsuit? and usb debugging is to be left on the entire time?

Comment

Thanks for the reply!!!

1. Yes it is.
                3.Yes. I used
                Cydia Impactor.

You could also install SnapPea and change the settings so that it doesn't install snappea onto the tablet. That's what I did so root it using impactor and such. Then I installed phoenixsuit and installed the img above.

Comment

Ive already done that, but will again one more time to be damned sure the drivers arent at fault. So, to be clear, you didnt install any windows update or other adb drivers... just what came with phoenixsuit? and usb debugging is to be left on the entire time?
                  I did install android SDK but other than that, no. I didn't install any drivers or do windows updates. I only used the drivers that came with SnapPea, and PhoenixSuite.

Comment

Ill try it in that order to see if it makes a difference, lets hope so! By the way, how does the tablet function for you after flashing? Usable at least?

Comment

Ill try it in that order to see if it makes a difference, lets hope so! By the way, how does the tablet function for you after flashing? Usable at least?
                      Yeah, it's more usable after flashing. Although, the stock ROM does leave a ton to be desired, it's much smoother after flashing. What I would really like to do is figure out what all 6 partitions on this thing do because it's supposed to have 4 gigs of storage but I can only see 1.6 gigs. And thats on 2 partitions.

Comment

Yeah, it's more usable after flashing. Although, the stock ROM does leave a ton to be desired, it's much smoother after flashing. What I would really like to do is figure out what all 6 partitions on this thing do because it's supposed to have 4 gigs of storage but I can only see 1.6 gigs. And thats on 2 partitions.
                        Nice, well I'll take it as I can get it, you know? Being usable is a major improvement here, since it truly isnt right now.

anyways. I did as you said, everything looks great, but phoenixsuit is still not seeing it. Could this have anything to do with it?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	431651

Comment

Nice, well I'll take it as I can get it, you know? Being usable is a major improvement here, since it truly isnt right now.

anyways. I did as you said, everything looks great, but phoenixsuit is still not seeing it. Could this have anything to do with it?
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4521[/ATTACH]

the above image is correct.. pheonix suite install the usb device driver as seen.. this driver is only used when the AS8 is in flash mode.. in order to get into flash mode you will need to power down the AS8 and unplug the usb able from it.. then you will press and hold the volume down button.. while holding the volume down button you will need to insert the usb cable back into the device.. the device will then enter flash mode.. phoenix should see it then..

ensure that you have the correct img selected in phoenix before you put the device into flash mode.. because when you enter flash mode phoenix will automatically start the flashing process..

the factory image that came on my AS8 (did not have google) was an eng rom.. the google update rom changes it to a user rom..

Comment

Originally posted by guessyet View Post
                            the above image is correct.. pheonix suite install the usb device driver as seen.. this driver is only used when the AS8 is in flash mode.. in order to get into flash mode you will need to power down the AS8 and unplug the usb able from it.. then you will press and hold the volume down button.. while holding the volume down button you will need to insert the usb cable back into the device.. the device will then enter flash mode.. phoenix should see it then..

ensure that you have the correct img selected in phoenix before you put the device into flash mode.. because when you enter flash mode phoenix will automatically start the flashing process..

the factory image that came on my AS8 (did not have google) was an eng rom.. the google update rom changes it to a user rom..
                            Exactly what he said, I was actually going to suggest this next. It should do the trick since I partially bricked my A8 earlier by testing a ROM out.

Comment

Thanks so much, its usable now! Now if only there was cm10 for this bad boy.... id be set!

Comment

swap storage

I have installed this on my Polaroid A/S8 and there was zero issues. Plug it into the computer, run the phoenix program as explained above. Download the files. There isn't really anything you'll need to do on the tablet until after you've gotten this installed.

I'm really looking forward to getting something like CM10 on this thing and I also need to figure out how to change those stupid partitions. It has 4gig storage but only 1gig on one partition and 1gig on another partition leaving to wonder where the hell 2gig of storage went. I'd prefer to get it all onto one partition and make a small partition ext4 or something to that effect.
                                Hi so to make better use of storage would it be good to swap internal & ext SD cards or would link2sd & folder mount get OK results. Im a semi experience noon & I Dont wanna ISH up my kids tablets by doing something wrong here? So I was thinking 2nd option might be easier, what do u think & ty. :-) Ron.

Comment

Working...
                                X