.config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.config

Anyone know where to get a working config.gz or .config. I cant find one in /proc.

Let me guess... Your trying to install linux on your Tab?

Bottom line this has to be made when compiling the kernel and if they did not save it in the ROM, it's not going to be reliable. I have successfully installed Ubuntu without it but it was a pain in the butt and was not stable.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Need .config to compile kernel

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      Let me guess... Your trying to install linux on your Tab?

Bottom line this has to be made when compiling the kernel and if they did not save it in the ROM, it's not going to be reliable. I have successfully installed Ubuntu without it but it was a pain in the butt and was not stable.

Bob
      I have compiled linux from scratch before with my own .config but it was rough. I am actually using your 1.4 release at the moment but I need swap. Any ideas? I don't think yours has swap support? It complains about unsupported function. I'm pretty good with linux but android is fairly new to me. I already have functioning cross compiler and source and to save time and lots of pain I need some ones already working .config from their own compile if they could be so kind. I had intended on modifying the boot.img with new kernel. Is that the correct procedure?

Comment

No it does not have swap support which is a bummer and causes the performance to suck.

I did get Unbuntu installed though and it worked ONLY through VNC for the GUI. If your interested I can look back and try to find the web page that showed how to do it. In fact I think it was a Youtube video that showed a generic install of Ubuntu 10.x

Bob

Comment

Thanks

No it does not have swap support which is a bummer and causes the performance to suck.

I did get Unbuntu installed though and it worked ONLY through VNC for the GUI. If your interested I can look back and try to find the web page that showed how to do it. In fact I think it was a Youtube video that showed a generic install of Ubuntu 10.x

Bob
          Thanks but its ok. I really just need a pre working .config lol. I guess I can try to get it going but some of the options like board type in the kernel config menu are a little confusing. Wondering how close the default .config in the source is to working order before cleaning?

Comment

Originally posted by siege2050 View Post
            Thanks but its ok. I really just need a pre working .config lol. I guess I can try to get it going but some of the options like board type in the kernel config menu are a little confusing. Wondering how close the default .config in the source is to working order before cleaning?
            Well Here goes I am building a new kernel after I find the swap option in the menu for .config. Device is probably doomed. Wow that was a quick build! Now about that boot.img.
            Last edited by siege2050; 05-03-2012, 21:25.

Comment

Well Here goes I am building a new kernel after I find the swap option in the menu for .config. Device is probably doomed. Wow that was a quick build! Now about that boot.img.
              Kernel built successfully. Does anybody know where all the locations of kernel modules in Bobs 1.4 release are? I may need to replace rebuilt modules before everything works.

Comment

Any luck?

Bob

Comment

Any luck?

Bob
                  I successfully compiled a kernel image with swap support from the source released recently but androids layout is very confusing for me. Is the kernel.img a raw kernel image? I am having trouble extracting any of the images on Linux and windows. I basically need to know the file layout. What goes where. Anyway I can't get much farther to see if the kernel will boot since I did not have a .config file to base the kernel on and don't exactly know where to place the kernel. Boot.img or kernel.img? Android is not very Linux like anymore I am afraid.

Comment

I successfully compiled a kernel image with swap support from the source released recently but androids layout is very confusing for me. Is the kernel.img a raw kernel image? I am having trouble extracting any of the images on Linux and windows. I basically need to know the file layout. What goes where. Anyway I can't get much farther to see if the kernel will boot since I did not have a .config file to base the kernel on and don't exactly know where to place the kernel. Boot.img or kernel.img? Android is not very Linux like anymore I am afraid.
                    I do know the kernel builds a heck of alot faster.

Comment

OK I can help as it sounds like your making very cool progress.

I can only speak for RK29 ROMS here but every .img is either a freaked out gzip file or a file system (CramFS, EXT3, etc). All of them have a RKCRC appended to the front and back.

See this post here on how I talk about how to pack and unpack imgs.

If you want more info ask here and I will respond.

Bob

Comment

OK I can help as it sounds like your making very cool progress.

I can only speak for RK29 ROMS here but every .img is either a freaked out gzip file or a file system (CramFS, EXT3, etc). All of them have a RKCRC appended to the front and back.

See this post here on how I talk about how to pack and unpack imgs.

If you want more info ask here and I will respond.

Bob
                        Thanks a bunch. I think this will really help. I have the kernel I just have to figure out how to get it in there lol.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I think this will really help. I have the kernel I just have to figure out how to get it in there lol.
                          OK so you take kernel.bin and all you do is in linux run it through RKCRC

./rkcrc -k kernel.bin

It will make a kernel.img for you.

I cant wait to see you make custom kernels. This part of making ROMs is beyond me. I am thinking you would be good for the ROM dev team here if your interested?

We have guys with many talents here like making APKs, modding APKs, ROM making, etc. But we do not have a kernel wizards
                          I would like to see you join the team here again if your interested?

Bob

Comment

So basically the kernel in your rom is already stripped out of the boot.img into the kernel.img? By the way awesome rom. It makes my nextbook totally usable. The kernel might not boot being so difficult with no .config but if it does you can have my .config if you need it.

Comment

Sorry I didnt see your earlier post about kernel.bin. I have basically a bzImage after fresh kernel build in /kernel/arch/arm/boot/ so I am not sure about kernel.bin?

Comment

Working...
                              X