Southern Telecom/Polaroid Released 701i firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Telecom/Polaroid Released 701i firmware

Just a quick heads up that Polaroid/S.T. released the firmware for their 701i
    Their page also confirms there are 3 different 701i's!

PMID 701i 10
    PMID 701i 13
    PMID 701 X10

Link to their firmware download page:
    Last edited by SingleDad; 05-04-2012, 18:03.

alright cool. I'll act like I didn't already know this info and didn't post it at the same time you did
    Polaroid PMID701i 13
    Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
    Fully rooted
    Google's Market installed

Comment

Originally posted by lukenova View Post
      alright cool. I'll act like I didn't already know this info and didn't post it at the same time you did
      Lol I know. We are on a simultaneously posting marathon tonight. We just did it again a minute ago lol!

Comment

Wonder if the X tablets are the ones that have HDMI out? We know what the 10 and 13 ones are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartman View Post
          Wonder if the X tablets are the ones that have HDMI out? We know what the 10 and 13 ones are now.

I have a PMID701i X10 and it has a TV out but it looks like an analog port not HDMI.

Comment

so is this firmware an update or do you use it if you are locked out of the device? If it is an update, did it fix the Netflix problem?

Comment

One user supposedly got a 701 with no I or C that has HDMI port instead of the Component like everyone else got. He said he got it from a **** auction for about 150.
              I've occasionally checked the auctions and haven't seen one yet that mentions having that option so who knows, they have 3 different versions now as it is, though most I models seem to just be a C with ICS added and still having the out port.

Comment

I would guess the one with the alternte screen hardware

Originally posted by mr2jaycee View Post
                I have a PMID701i X10 and it has a TV out but it looks like an analog port not HDMI.
                I would guess the x10 is the one that has the different screen and digitizer. Why the screen is upside down on some ROM's. Ofcourse it is one of those perspective things, if you own one of the ones with the upside down screen then to you it is me that is wacky

Comment

Thanks for the update

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post

PMID 701i 10
                  PMID 701i 13
                  PMID 701 X10

http://southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/firmware/
                  Is this an update or just the original firmware that I already have on my 701i? I might do it just to see if I can start from scratch and get rid of the "stopped" errors that I am getting on a cold boot after my attempts to get the Market. I already have Google Play working but get these goofy failures that i am convinced are because of my previous attempts. I want to thank Justin on the XDA post for getting it to work right on the last attempt but I still have residual junk I think.

Comment

well.. I have tried the rom from shawn and the rom from polaroid but I cant get LiveSuite to start the load.. the PC sees the device can get the driver installed (I think) but never gets to that loading point.. unless some one has a recovery image I can stick on my SD card I am returning this thing..

Comment

One thing is to make sure the device is all the way off

One good first question is if you look on the back does it say something with 10 or 13? The 10's we have many diffwerent ROM's that will work to one degree or another. I am unsure if we have a 13 rom out yet. (note my older C model (only by about 3 weeks mind you ) doesnt have any numbers oter than the model number on the sticker)

I have found a decent way to make sure the unit is completely off before trying to flash with LiveSuite is to use the USB cable ding sound to make sure it is all the way off.

1: close Live Suite
                      2: open task manager and close the Live Suite process (this makes sure it is totally shut down)
                      (note: A fresh boot of Windows should accomplish 1 + 2 as well)
                      3: plug in the USB cable to the computer
                      4: hit the power button on the tablet untill you hear the ding dong sound that the USB has disconnected
                      5: unplug the USB cable
                      6: open LiveSuite and select the image file you are going to flash
                      7: press the Menu button (I have found they all work, but for consistency we stick with the menu button)
                      8: with the menu button pressed, insert the USB cable
                      9: keep holding the menu button past the point where LiveSuite installs the drivers until it putts up the first screen saying do you want to erase everything (it is in broken engish, but that is what it is asking)
                      10: say yes to that and yes to the are you sure box that comes up next
                      11: at this point itshould start flashing
                      12: let it finish until the yellow exclamation box comes up then you can unplug the USB. I have found sometimes it starts right up, sometimes you need to hit the power button again

The other thing that has happened is that Windows (especially 7) hasn't done a good job with the drivers. There are several suggestions floating around about removing the old driver to reinstall and even a different version of livesuite to use. Some have had success just taking it to a different computer

Comment

Upgrade

Originally posted by SingleDad View Post

PMID 701i 10
                        PMID 701i 13
                        PMID 701 X10

http://southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/firmware/
                        I can't get this to work no matter what I try. I'm on Vista and nothing I try gets beyond the download and I have followed the instructions up to the "Install the driver failed, the program will exit" and clicking OK does just that, it exits after a bunch of other errors. So much for starting from scratch. The thing is working so I guess I will be happy with what i have acheived. I will deal with the errors on a cold boot and not worry about what they are trying to fire off. I got an update notice on Flash today so I guess I'm in the Play Store correctly. That's the important thing. Thanks for your help on this and other posts in the past. We depend on people like you to help us limp thru this learning curve! BTW, I have a 701i x10 and it does have the TV Out jack, not HDMI, Component Video I assume, I haven't tried that yet.

Update: After a good nights sleep and a couple of cups of coffee I followed the steps in the Read Me file and got it to work. I must have been missing a step last night. The errors on re-boot have gone away and I have reinstalled Google Play, Adobe Flash and others.

Thanks to all for the help!
                        Last edited by chuckr01; 05-05-2012, 14:16. Reason: Status update

Comment

I can confirm that on the 701i 13 model, the flashing instructions worked for me and I even have 64bit windows 7 running.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2
                          Polaroid PMID701i 13
                          Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
                          Fully rooted
                          Google's Market installed

Comment

its a 701i 10 (from back of device) I am using windowz xp got all the unused usp drivers out of the way.. maybe I will have a second win machine to try on soon but most of my pcs are running linux.. it does better on these older machines I have..

I realy wish polaroid had a recovery option for the boot loader and an external sd.. I can see that option in boot loader.. can anyone with a 701i 10 look in there internal sd and memory for a recovery directory?? see if it has a recovery file??

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chuckr01 View Post
                              Is this an update or just the original firmware that I already have on my 701i? I might do it just to see if I can start from scratch and get rid of the "stopped" errors that I am getting on a cold boot after my attempts to get the Market. I already have Google Play working but get these goofy failures that i am convinced are because of my previous attempts. I want to thank Justin on the XDA post for getting it to work right on the last attempt but I still have residual junk I think.
                              Polaroid doesn't really explain much on their support site. To MY knowledge the only "Update" is the one that will give 701C owners Android 4.0/ICS if they want it.The others are just stock firmware in case you need to get back into your tablet when you are locked out etc.

I'm not 100% on that because one of the reasons they gave when they were holding off releasing the firmware was because they wanted to be sure everyone got the latest and greatest

Of course the only way to know for sure is just to try one out and blindly hope and pray it resolves the issue you're having. Or you could contact s.t. and ask if there were any updates rolled into the firmware.

Comment

Working...
                              X