Finless rom 1.3 - Discussions and issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finless rom 1.3 - Discussions and issues

I have been lucky enough to be able to help test this rom.

After flashing the rom, enabling my wifi, I simply tapped the market icon and signed in with my google account - there it was, market was instantly working.

This worked great!

Couple of other questions

• Google apps don't seem to pick up coarse location using wifi. Something to do with networklocation.apk ? I have it enabled in the location settings, and my android phone picks up location from my wifi okay if 3g is switched off.
    • I had seen my NAND flash appear in the settings where SD card should be, and was showing 2GB SD instead of my 4GB SD card. Pressing mount and unmount SD card didn't correct it. Rebooted and that sorted it.

Google apps don't seem to pick up coarse location using wifi. Something to do with networklocation.apk ? I have it enabled in the location settings, and my android phone picks up location from my wifi okay if 3g is switched off.
    Can test this by going to "news and weather" app, aquiring location appears, then fails. Does it work for any of you guys? Also google maps if you tap the compass it tries to find location from geo/ip or wifi and doesn't find it.

i can't find anything else to speak of, it all seems to work great!

Comment

The location through WiFi does not seem to work on any custom firmware or the original that I have installed on this tablet, There are settings to turn it on but still it does not seem to work
      Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
      <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
      <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
      <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
      https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
      </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
        The location through WiFi does not seem to work on any custom firmware or the original that I have installed on this tablet, There are settings to turn it on but still it does not seem to work
        Mine does not work either. Not sure why but it never has.

Comment

The current Android OS expects a GPS. Unlike Apple like the iPOD it wont do location services over WiFi.
          The reason I believe has to do with some issue Google had when they were driving around with Google earth cars and mapping WiFi hot spots. So thats what I heard anyway.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

OK just got home from work and am testing as well. Form your PM's today I just tried my Market and your right. I cant find BBC iPlayer, etc. So I am also am having the limited app market thing. I wish I knew what caused that for some people. It happened to me before when I side loaded the Market.
            My device was already registered with Google so it should not have changed. I know it has something to do with your device ID not be recognized. But if thats the case why does it sometimes work?

So now that I have the issue I am going investigate and see if I can find out what it is.

Daman, did you have any issues with this? I know Will is saying he does as well.

Bob

Comment

No Bob

Just searched for Iplayer and found it, installed and it is fine.

I uninstalled Appslib through Titanium, dont want my daughter seeing that it is full of XXX stuff.

As I said in previous post the tablet seems a lot faster now for some reason, menus in settings come up quicker. Videos played through stock player now dont suffer lag when skipping. Havent noticed any problem so far Bob.

And one other thing before when the tablet started Go launcher would have some FC if you didnt wait about 30 seconds after the tablet started, like there was a lot loading at once, that issue seems to have gone hopefully
              Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

<input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
              </form>

Comment

Interesting.... So I did a factory reset and data clear and now I cant get it to logon to Google. I get the infamous "unable to establish a reliable connection". I have had that happen before and usually just clead the data cache on some of the google apps.

So finally I am getting to see the problems some have had. Trust me this is not my ROM and I amusing the same Market 3.4.4 files I always have. Last night I must have flashed 5 times and every time it worked.

Now to see how to realibly fix it or get out of the hang up. You should NOT have to reflash the firmware to fix this. Doing a factory reset formats everything just like flashing again so there is no need to do that. Whatever causes this seems random. I use to think it was time zone setting or something.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  Interesting.... So I did a factory reset and data clear and now I cant get it to logon to Google. I get the infamous "unable to establish a reliable connection". I have had that happen before and usually just clead the data cache on some of the google apps.

So finally I am getting to see the problems some have had. Trust me this is not my ROM and I amusing the same Market 3.4.4 files I always have. Last night I must have flashed 5 times and every time it worked.

Now to see how to realibly fix it or get out of the hang up. You should NOT have to reflash the firmware to fix this. Doing a factory reset formats everything just like flashing again so there is no need to do that. Whatever causes this seems random. I use to think it was time zone setting or something.

Bob
                  Bob, I started with 1.1 on the tablet then I flashed the 1.3 rom and I first had the issue with the missing market apps, so I flashed to stock rom. I then flashed back to 1.3 and then it worked and they all appeared. I didn't do anything different apart from using @googlemail.com instead of @gmail.com (which it wanted to default to, I did nothing different)

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                    The current Android OS expects a GPS. Unlike Apple like the iPOD it wont do location services over WiFi.
                    The reason I believe has to do with some issue Google had when they were driving around with Google earth cars and mapping WiFi hot spots. So thats what I heard anyway.

Bob
                    By searching on google I found other devices had these lines in build.prop so I added, but it still doesn't seem to find a location via wifi. It would be nice if it worked I guess. I will try my android phone with no sim and bluetooth off and see if it can get location via wifi.

ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
                    ro.com.google.networklocation=1

Comment

Originally posted by jameslewisuk View Post
                      By searching on google I found other devices had these lines in build.prop so I added, but it still doesn't seem to find a location via wifi. It would be nice if it worked I guess. I will try my android phone with no sim and GPS off and see if it can get location via wifi.

ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
                      ro.com.google.networklocation=1
                      I just tested and found that my android 2.3 phone definitely uses wifi for network location. I removed the sim card, and turned off GPS so the only thing it can use is wifi.

The phone gets a rough location in maps & news/weather app.
                      If I untick location via wifi in settings, it can no longer get a location. If I re-tick the wifi location, it works again.

Comment

same here my Sony Experia Mini Pro works with wifi only

</form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
                          same here my Sony Experia Mini Pro works with wifi only
                          I tried replacing networklocation.apk with one from this site (the 54kb file size version) as some forum suggested it.

It caused the tablet to boot up, then boot loop at home screen.
                          Just reflashing now.
                          Wondering if to try the 89kb version on that site??

Comment

Originally posted by jameslewisuk View Post
                            I tried replacing networklocation.apk with one from this site (the 54kb file size version) as some forum suggested it.

It caused the tablet to boot up, then boot loop at home screen.
                            Just reflashing now.
                            Wondering if to try the 89kb version on that site??
                            No luck, copied that 89kb one to system/app and installed it and just get "application not installed" message. Ah well!

Comment

OK folks I think I found the entire Google Market logon or few apps shown problem. It is going to be random when this happens. On first boot after a flash, some kind of device ID is being generated from other ID's and data about the system. Every now and then it creats an ID Google does not like. Then you either get the infamous "Cannot esablish a reliable data connetion or your device is not provisioned for data" error or you get a limit list of apps in the Market.

So I fixed mine without reflashing or doing a factory reset! I went in with root file explorer and delete some things from /data and the IMEI file. Then I rebooted and BAM the Market worked after login.

So now I am going to go find the exact set if files and what the ID thing is all about. What I may do is make a new rom preprogrammed with an ID rather than have the system generate one. This would be better than just giving instructions on what to delete and try again. Reason is you could delete the stuff, reboot, and the system yet again makes a ID Google does not like!

So stay tuned guys if I get this figured out I will forever solve this Market problem we get on a new flash of a ROM or factory reset.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X