No announcement yet.

Finless rom 1.3 - Discussions and issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK more progress but getting frustrating.

Jim watch this video:
    In this video I discuss step by step instructions demonstrating installation and operation of the popular Android Apk application.Appreciate what I do? Buy m...

Bottom line after you make the APK you must copy the RES folder and the aesc file from your new APK into your old APK. In linux you use archive manager. You might be able to do it in windows using zip? Then after thats done you must zip align it using the Android SDK. Again watch the vid.

So I did that and my Arnova booted but when it got to bringing up the launcher I get the home screen and icons and the it crashes and reboots. At least I got farther than before I zip align the APK.

OK I think the problem now is signing. Maybe this package has to be signed? I don't know how to do that yet.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Bob, thanks for that. I got to the point where I copied the 'new' aesc file in to the old zip/apk. I didn't zip align it, I'll have to watch the video.

When I was trying it I had the same thing as you, it booted and the home screen came up looking a bit blank I think, then it rebooted.

I'm not sure if it needs to be signed or not?

I was trying to use this APK manager
      So i have written a simple script to ease the process of editing apks. Got a lot of downloads so thought its in demand :rolleyes: Whether you're doing basic image editing or editing the smali or xml files, on average u have to use (Brut.all or...

Comment

I was thinking of trying a simple test. unpack and with no changes repack, zipalign, and try it.

Also I just built the one I made into my ROM to see if that makes a difference vs copying it over using root explorer or ADB. In the vid he mentions something about the delvic cache and that gets built on first boot after a flash. If that still does not work then I guess I will learn to sign
        Although the guy in that video suggests as a system APK it does not need to be signed

Bob

Comment

Just watched the video, is interesting, even though I am using windows.
          It looks like you decomplile, edit, recompile, then put the 'new' aesc file in to the old zip/apk, then zip align it.
          I don't think it needs to be signed?
          Then can push it to the tablet via adb?
          I will have another go. Yes, good idea to try doing it without any changes?

Comment

No go on building it into the ROM and flashing. Same reboot at the home screen.

Yes what you said is exactly what I am doing. Make it, copy the new RES and AESC over to the old APK and zip Align it. Before zip aligning it, it would not boot at all. After zip aligning it we get the reboot at the home screen. So some progress anyway.

I am going to see without any changes if I can make a framework-res and see if that works.

Bob

Comment

Okay I made one without any changes, pushed it to the device and it booted normally.
              I will try making the changes and see what happens!

edit: I think I cheated when I made the new one that booted as it used the same aesc file. Doing it again with no string changes but new aesc file creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                I could not get APK tool to work in windows but I got it working in linux.

I will have a look and see if I can get location services to work!

Also I gave up on fixing the "random" Market problem in my ROM. The first problem is I cannot recreated the login issue "cant establish reliable data connection". I am thinking this really is something going on with Google at the time this happens and NOT some ID or other issue. By waiting a little bit my bet is that will fix itself. As for theliited apps, I can tell people how to fix it if they run into the problem but I cant find the IDs in the Databases or which one to pre-make in my ROM. So later I will do some videos on how to fix a Market login or limited apps problem.

Will I know your Tab right now has the limited Market problem so next time we talk I am going to walk you through fixing it. I forget if you have root file explorer? or ES File manager?
                If you do this should fix your limited apps problem
                Go into /data/data and delete the folders:
                com.android.vending
                com.google.android.gm
                com.google.android.gsf

Now reboot. When you open the Market it should ask you to accept ther terms and conditions again. Now you should see apps you did not before.

Bob
                OK testing now, Arnova is booting. Will report back when I have tried the above.

Comment

Well that did not work for me

I just unpacked it, repacked it with no changes, and without copying or even opening with archive manager, replaced it and rebooted. No go. Maybe I need to actualy do the copy over of RES and the aesc file?

Bob

Comment

OK like you I just got success unpacking, no mods, repacking, open in archive manager and copy over the RES and aesc file from the new APK, zipaligned it, put it on SD card, on the Arnova copied it to /system/framework using root explorer.

Worked!

So not me too... I am going to try editing the values.xml and do it again.

Bob

Comment

Not having any luck here, I think are are making the apk correctly.
                      I tried changing both values, it doesn't boot properly, trying one or the other on their own it doesn't boot properly either. Perhaps the networklocation.apk file in system isn't compatible ?
                      If I put them back to @null and recompile it works again!

I don't think it's what we're doing that's wrong, I think it just doesn't like those values?

Comment

By the way, if you're copying by SD card and boot-loop/bricking it and it not working, you have to reflash?

But if you use ADB you can keep pushing modded files even if it's not fully booting, saves a lot of time

c:\android-sdk\ADB>adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/
                        4372 KB/s (4556801 bytes in 1.017s)

Comment

You are correct Bob. Once I deleted the files, I can see a TON of BBC apps and a LOT more apps in general. Thank you!!

Comment

Same here james.... I can make a good apk with no changes and it boots. I add the changes and it wont boot.

So I have to quit for the day but either these names for OUR prodivder APKs are wrong (I have not looked yet for those APKs to check)
                            com.google.android.location.NetworkLocationProvide r
                            com.google.android.location.GeocodeProvider
                            Realize these maybe the wrong names and could be something like android.location.NetworkLocationProvider
                            I just don't have time to look right now.

OR as you say they are not made for our device and are just left in there from the port to the Anrova. Might be why Arnova turned them off

Bob

Comment

Bob, which version of the google apps are loaded in the rom?
                              Still playing here but the time is late now!

Comment

3.4.4 Market. The files related are

NetworkLocation.apk

There is no geo APK in my ROM. Maybe we are missing it?
                                I the the Geo APK gets installed with MAPS.

I will look more into it later but I bet we can get this working still

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X