No announcement yet.

Finless rom 1.3 - Discussions and issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a quiick file search on the tablet for netwroklocation. Thats going to be the problem.

I do not see a APK called com.google.android.location.NetworkLocationProvide r
    I do see
    /system/app/NetworkLocation

So more to do tomorrow

bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      Did a quiick file search on the tablet for netwroklocation. Thats going to be the problem.

I do not see a APK called com.google.android.location.NetworkLocationProvide r
      I do see
      /system/app/NetworkLocation

So more to do tomorrow

bob
      You could be on to something but using root explorer on my android phone it's still called networklocation.apk in /system/app

And it's the same strings, and wifi, gps and 3g location services all work on it. :S

Comment

I checked out these lines in my android-phone(android 2.3.4), which has a GPS, A-GPS and successfully locates with disabled GPS modules and disabled SIM. Used only WiFi.
        In the framework-res.apk/values/strings:
        Code:
            <string name="config_networkLocationProvider">@null</string>
            <string name="config_geocodeProvider">@null</string>
        Archos 7c HT (My Custom ROM production) -> ARNOVA 8G2 8Gb (My modification MorkaMod JB v.1.2)
        Chinese STAR A5000=>Star N8000 (My Custom ROM production)

Comment

Originally posted by Sowa View Post
          I checked out these lines in my android-phone(android 2.3.4), which has a GPS, A-GPS and successfully locates with disabled GPS modules and disabled SIM. Used only WiFi.
          In the framework-res.apk/values/strings:
          Code:
          So perhaps we are chasing after a red herring? @Sowa, which apps does it locate ok with on your phone? I believe that Google maps is independent of the issue, as with google maps downloaded off the market the locations work fine with network/3g location and wifi location etc on my 7c G2. It's all other apps that call for location that don't seem to work, like News/Weather App, and non-google apps from the market like Beautiful Widgets, weather apps etc.

I am also looking at the same issue on my 7c G2, which if I change those strings.xml settings it *does* boot.

I will repost what I discovered, I believe the issue is the same for the G2 10...

Network location services via 3g or wifi doesn't seem to work correctly, applications that call for location such as news/weather or beautiful widgets can't access location.

I did think this could be the fix… (I think it's part of the fix)
          If you look inside
          /system/framework/framework-res.apk
          If you decompile that you can see
          /res/values/strings.xml

There are these lines in that xml file:

I believe they should be:
          <string name="config_networkLocationProvider">com.google.a ndroid.location.NetworkLocationProvider</string>
          <string name="config_geocodeProvider">com.google.android.l ocation.GeocodeProvider</string>

I de-compiled framework-res.apk, edited the strings.xml then recomplied and zip aligned it. The location services still didn't work with the edit.

I believe the network location services provided to apps works via NetworkLocation.apk a google apk in the systemapp directory

I am using my ZTE skate android phone to make comparisons.

If I look in /data/system/packages.list on my ZTE skate I see this line:
          com.google.android.location 10018 0 /data/data/com.google.android.location
          Which shows that NetworkLocation.apk is installed

If I look in /data/system/packages.list on my 7g G2 tablet, the line is missing, even though NetworkLocation.apk is in the /system/app directory.

It leads me to believe that the 7c G2 tablet does not like the version of NetworkLocation.apk
          Further to this, if I try to manually install NetworkLocation.apk from the systemapp directory on the 7c G2, I get the message "application not installed" when I run the APK to install it.

Therefore, I believe that the version of NetworkLocation.apk that Arctools puts on the devices is not compatible with the device, and isn't actually installing but just sits in the /system/app folder. (A bit like compass and phone which don't do anything either)

I wonder if we can get a NetworkLocation.apk that will work ?

Comment

Bob, this might be of interest, this is the

AndroidManifest.xml from inside NetworkLocation.apk, you can see it references to the strings in values.xml in framework-res.apk

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            -<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" package="com.google.android.location"
            android:versionName="2.2" android:versionCode="8" android:sharedUserId="android.uid.system">
            <uses-sdk android:targetSdkVersion="8" android:minSdkVersion="8"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMP LETED"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INSTALL_LOCATION_ PROVIDER"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE "/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE "/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOC ATION"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETT INGS"/>
            <uses-permission android:name="com.google.android.providers.setting s.permission.READ_GSETTINGS"/
            <uses-permission android:name="com.google.android.providers.setting s.permission.WRITE_GSETTINGS"/
            <application androidrocess="system" android:label="@string/app_label"> -
            <service android:name="NetworkLocationService"> -
            <intent-filter>
            <action android:name="com.google.android.location.NetworkL ocationProvider"/>
            <action android:name="com.google.android.location.GeocodeP rovider"/>
            </intent-filter>
            </service>
            <activity android:name="ConfirmAlertActivity" android:excludeFromRecents="true" android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Dialog.Alert"/>
            </application>
            </manifest>

Comment

Originally posted by jameslewisuk View Post
              So perhaps we are chasing after a red herring? @Sowa, which apps does it locate ok with on your phone? I believe that Google maps is independent of the issue, as with google maps downloaded off the market the locations work fine with network/3g location and wifi location etc on my 7c G2. It's all other apps that call for location that don't seem to work, like News/Weather App, and non-google apps from the market like Beautiful Widgets, weather apps etc.
              Found something else interesting, I installed google apps on my 7c G2 with arctools, logged in to my google account, downloaded Maps and couldn't access my location. "location unavailable" Even though the location via wifi box was ticked in settings>location

I started again and the next time I ran the google SetupWizard.apk on bootup (touch the green android to begin) and it goes through set up and has 2 tick boxes to allow location services (see pic)

I tick those, and sign in to google account, download maps, and location is then available in google maps....
              News and Weather app still doesn't know where I am though and wants me to set it manually.

If I look in root explorer at /system/app/networklocation.apk it's now linked to /data/appsmarket/system/app/NetworkLocation.apk Strange? Not sure if it was before. Looks like market/google sign in updates this.

Okay so I tried maps on my G2 10 from the market and it doesn't get location. "location unavailable"
              I'm pretty sure that the "touch the android" set up wizard thing will allow the location to work if that's run first. Not sure how this can be run on a tablet!
              Last edited by jameslewisuk; 01-29-2012, 13:38.

Comment

Google Maps also does not work for me with location. When I press my location button I get back "Your current location is temporarly unavailable". This has been the case since day one even on stock ROM and many different google Markets version and different google map versions. Currently my google maps is 6.2.0

Bob

Comment

You can start the setup wizard easily.

Go to the market and get an app called anycut. It installs shortcuts to your desktop for stuff you do not have icons in the app drawer for.
                  Run that and select add shortcut
                  then select activity
                  scroll down and you may see setup wizard listed twice. On mine the first one is the one you see when running the Market the first time. The second one gives what your talking about. When I ran this both boxes are already checked.

Bob

Comment

Google Maps also does not work for me with location. When I press my location button I get back "Your current location is temporarly unavailable". This has been the case since day one even on stock ROM and many different google Markets version and different google map versions. Currently my google maps is 6.2.0

Bob
                    Is there any chance the Arnova 10 G2 does not have GPS capability for this to ever work?

I know some places say it does support GPS but are we actually sure it can? Is there anyone anywhere who has actually gotten it to work?

Comment

Will, it uses wifi, google has a database of positions of the wifi networks. It works on my phone at home and also partially on my 7c G2

Comment

Originally posted by jameslewisuk View Post
                        Will, it uses wifi, google has a database of positions of the wifi networks. It works on my phone at home and also partially on my 7c G2
                        I understand that, it is like http://www.whatismyipaddress.com uses as well. Only problem is it is quite inaccurate compared to the iOS location performance. Hopefully it will work well one day but I think it would take a lot of users adding corrected info, at least on the whatismyipaddress site.

Comment

Ha! I got it working for google maps... here is what I did.

When I ran that setup wizard that had the check boxes and then click next it asked to create an account or sign in. I chose sign in and I got an error "accoutn already exists".

So as I test I went in and deleted
                          /data/system/accounts.db this erases all accounts on the system.
                          /data/data/
                          com.android.vending
                          com.google.android.gm
                          com.google.android.gsf

I rebooted. Then on boot up I got the google create account prompt. Not the one with the check boxes but the one for the Market. I closed it and did not proceed. Then using anycut I tried to run the other setup wizard. When I clicked next after the check boxes it force closed. So I basically do not have an account setup. Then I ran google maps. IT FOUND MY LOCATION PERFECTLY!!!! This is a first as it has never worked before.

However as Jerry found, Accuweather did not work with location services, Google Earht did not work, etc.

OK some more testing now and see what happens when I do setup an account.

Bob

Comment

When I ran that setup wizard that had the check boxes and then click next it asked to create an account or sign in. I chose sign in and I got an error "accoutn already exists".

/data/data/
                            com.android.vending
                            com.google.android.gm
                            com.google.android.gsf

I rebooted. Then on boot up I got the google create account prompt. Not the one with the check boxes but the one for the Market. I closed it and did not proceed. Then using anycut I tried to run the other setup wizard. When I clicked next after the check boxes it force closed. So I basically do not have an account setup. Then I ran google maps. IT FOUND MY LOCATION PERFECTLY!!!! This is a first as it has never worked before.

However as Jerry found, Accuweather did not work with location services, Google Earht did not work, etc.

Bob
                            Excellent Bob, you are one step ahead of me, I was just going to try that, reflashing my tab now to test that. It worked like that on my 7c G2 so I thought it might work !!

Comment

/data/data/
                              com.android.vending
                              com.google.android.gm
                              com.google.android.gsf

Bob
                              Very interesting. Glad to hear you are making progress toward the release. I will see if I can get the location services to work on mine again now with this information.

Comment

Update. So after running google maps with no account setup I then ran the setup wizard that has the check boxes. It no longer force closed. This is because when running maps it recreates the .gsf and .gm folders. When I ran the setup wizard again it worked and my account logged in.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X