Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@@ TUTORIAL : How to Install a Custom Rom on a Cube Talk 9X U65GT… TESTED ON A 16GB version. For NOOB’s - Windows 7 64 @@

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@@ TUTORIAL : How to Install a Custom Rom on a Cube Talk 9X U65GT… TESTED ON A 16GB version. For NOOB’s - Windows 7 64 @@

Hi All

I have written this tutorial to help others in the community install custom roms on their CubeTalk 9x Tablet. This Tutorial is a thank you to all the people on this forum that made Flashing this tablet possible. I thank you all. I am normally just a silent reader but thought this time its time to help others in my position. so hear we go . If you have any enhancements to this tutorial then please post . The below worked for me but there may be better short Cuts.

Why install a Custom Rom ?
    1. Enhanced features
    2. Bug Fixes
    3. Customizations
    4. Probably better supported than stock ROM. ( somebody is actually listening to what you have to say and trying to do something about it )
    Before we start . BIG Thank you tooIF your reading this please donate to the creators of all this work . I want no credit . This is just a tribute to their hardwork they do this for all of us so please donate to links above. If you feel you your knowledge was also used in this document let me know I will add you to doc.

Pre Requisite…..
    • Put Tablet in USB Debugging mode.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Micro SD Card ( For ease )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Get yourself a Custom Rom ( I will be using Lepi’s U65GT_V2.0.9LB_Lepi_150308 ) . But head over to link below and pick one you like ( DON’T FORGET TO BUY THE CREATER A BEER EG PAYPAL DONATION) …
    • DOWNLOAD HERE : http://freaktab.com/forum/mtk-based-...-mods-etc-list=
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Once you have downloaded your Custom ROM. Put ROM ZIP in folder below
      1. \CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\2-Custom ROM Zip and Addtional Fixes
    2. Exact Zip and put in folder below.
      1. CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\3-Uncompressed Custom ROM\
    What we are going to do…..
    1. Root Device
    2. Install Pre loader Drivers - MT65XX PRE-LOADER
    3. MTK Droid Tools – Back up current rom and create scatter file / Backup IMEI Number
    4. Sp Flash tool – Use SP Flash tool to flash tablet with TWRP ( MODRECOVERY) Recovery and increase App space 6GB PARTITION (EBR Files) .
    5. Boot into TWRP and install ROM and Keyboard fix ( same procedure for any fix you want to install via Mod recovery )
    BEFORE WE START IMPORTANT
    BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP !!!! IM NOT RESPONCIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR TABLET. THIS PROCESS WORKED FOR ME , BUT AS ALWAYS THIS COULD BRICK YOUR TABLET . I DID IT BUT WAS ABLE TO PUT STOCK ROM BACK ON AND START AGAIN. WHEWWWW.
    Lets get started

VIDEO 1

1. Root Device
    • Go the ‘1-Root’ Folder in my zip
    • Put the update.zip file from your External SD card Root
    • Once saved eject card and put it back into the tablet.
    • Open Settings go to About tablet > System Update>local update
    • Click confirm then ‘ Yes’ to do you want to update now ?
    • Tablet Will now reboot and install patch
    • After reboot install Root checker app from App store to check Root
    2. BACKUPVIDEO 2

3. Install Pre loader Drivers - MT65XX PRE-LOADER
    • Go to folder ‘2 -Pre Loader Drivers ‘
    • Open Application
    • USBDeview v2.41 - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html ( included in ZIP )
    • DO NOT CONNECT TABLET AS YET
    • This will let you uninstall any drivers that are related to the preloader so we can start fresh.
    • Open USB Deview and delete any drivers related to device Most start with MTXXX. Below are a few examples. ( hint . Sort by name helps)
      • PreLoader USB VCOM (Android)
      • MediaTek
      • MTD
      • MT
    • Start menu, type cmd in search programs and files
    • cmd.exe will appear in the programs list right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
    • In the command session type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press enter
    • In the command session type devmgmt.msc and press enter
    • The Device Manager console will appear
    • In Device Manager click on View and choose Show Hidden Devices
    • If there is list entry Ports (COM & LPT) expand it
    • If there is an entry MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port (COMn) then the driver is already installed
    • Right click on the entry and choose Uninstall
    • The uninstall dialogue box appears
    • Check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK
    • The MediaTek device will be uninstalled
    • If this was the ONLY port listed, the list entry Ports (COM & LPT) will also disappear (DON'T PANIC)
    • Ensure your CUBE is POWERED OFF (wait for vibration to show it is completely off)
    • Attach the powered off cube to the computer via USB
    • The computer will start to install the drivers, but will probably report Device Driver software was not successfully installed.
    • Click on the balloon message and a message box will say MT65xx Preloader No Driver Found
    • Return to the Device Manager
    • There should be a list entry Other Devices - expand it.
    • Find the child list entry MT65xx Preloader
    • Right click and choose Update Software Driver...
    • Update Driver Software dialogue is displayed
    • Choose Browse my computer for driver software
    • In the Browse for driver software dialogue click browse and navigate to the download location where you extracted my zip .
    2 -Pre Loader Drivers
    • / drivers/‘ content.
    • Navigate to the sub-folder containing the *.inf files.
    • Click Next
    • Windows may prompt saying Windows can't verify the publish of this driver software
    • Choose Install this driver software anyway
    • ​Windows should say Installing Driver Software
    • Windows will then say Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device: MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port
    • Unplug and replug the CUBE
    • Windows will start installing the driver instance
    • Sometimes the install will fail
    • Click the balloon message and message box will say Install failed - device unplugged
    • Unplug and replug the CUBE and things should be OK
    • Return to the Device Manager
    • There should now be a list entry Ports (COM & LPT)
    • Expand this item and it should contain MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port (COMn)
    • See link below for more information help.http://freaktab.com/forum/mtk-based-...roblems-solved
    4. MTK Droid Tools
    • See Video
    • Once drivers installed
    • Open MTK Droid tools.exe from my zip (3 - MTK Droid tools - Backup ROM and Scatter). ( Turn off Antivirus otherwise it will complain Pretty sure it’s a false positive from what’s on the internet )
    • Turn on Device until it is fully booted.
    • Connect tablet . ( You should get message saying its system/su/Bin found Via the BOOT button it is possible to get ROOT Access. Yellow on MTK Droid tools )
    • Hit the ROOT Button so the tool can get access.
    • Go back to tablet and grant access on SU on tablet .
    • Once this is done. MTK Droid tools should go green to say its connected.
    • Go to Root, backup Recovery tab and hit Backup . MTK Droid tools will now create an uncompressed backup and zip for flashing in the backups folder. This takes around 20 Min on my tablet
    • IMPORTANT . MAKE SURE WHEN ITS MAKING BACKUP THERE ARE NO ERRORS IN THE SIDE WINDOW. IF THERE ARE START AGAIN.(CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\3 - MTK Droid tools - Backup ROM and Scatter\backups)
    • Its also good time to back up IMEI number you use the tool to do this or type *#06# on the tablet dialer and it will show you the number . Take this down its important just incase something goes wrong.
    • Another tool you can use to backup your IMEI is an app called Mobileuncle Tools . Have a look on play store Or watch video for help to use desktop version contained in toolkit .. It needs ROOT Access
    • (IMPORTANT : If you are going to use 900Supersport rom you will need to install CMW This is done via the MTK Droid tool. But as Im installing a LEPI Rom I’m going to install his TWRP )
    5. Phase 2 backup & Scatter File.
    • Once we have backed up the raw image from the tablet . Next we need to put in to FLASH BLOCKS for SP_Flash tool. To do this hit the button that says ‘TO PREPARE BLOCKS FOR FLASH TOOL’
    • This will open a pop window for you to locate the file.md5. location of this file is in the backup you just created is in the backup you just created . CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\3 - MTK Droid tools - Backup ROM and Scatter\backups\XXXXXXXXXX
    • The tool will now process the files to flashblocks. This takes about 15 min on my tablet
    • IMPORTANT . MAKE SURE WHEN ITS MAKING FLASHBLOCK BACKUP THERE ARE NO ERRORS IN THE SIDE WINDOW. IF THERE ARE START AGAIN.
    • Now go back to your backups folder and in the you will see a new folder called !Files to Flash. Within here you will see the blocks to flash as well as scatter file.
    VIDEO 3:

6. SP Flash Tool
    • Watch video first.
    • Make sure tablet is off and discounted at this point
    • Open folder ‘4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery’
    • And then ‘4 - SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1352.01’
    • Open Flash tool.exe
    • Open ‘Scatter-Loading’ and navigate to scatter file location in !Files to Flash folder.
    • Flash tool will now load up scatter file and location of all the address blocks and locations of blocks in the !Files to Flash folder.
    • If your scatter file does not show REGION column or load locations of backups then there is something up with scatter. DON’T PANIC . This happened to me.
    • I have included a scatter file from the stock rom zip for 2.0. In the location.
    • CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\6 - Scatter file 2-0\MT6592_Android_scatter.tx
    • Copy this into the !Files to Flash folder. ‘ PLEASE CHECK ADDRESS MATCH PREVIOUS SCATTER, IF THEY DON’T DON’T USE THIS SCATTER’
    • Now go back to Flash tool and open the new scatter file.
    • Once opened it will load a bunch of stuff and locations with in backup. Except for Preloader.
    • Make sure you have tick next to everything with a location specified. If there is no location don’t flash . See Pic below.
    7. SP Flash tool

Now change the following location .
    1. Select Download Only ( This will preserve your IMEI Number )
    2. EBR 1 = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\5 - App Space Re-partion - 6G\EBR1_6G
    3. EBR 2 = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\5 - App Space Re-partion - 6G\EBR2_6G
    4. RECOVERY = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\1 - TWRP_2.8.5.0_mod_Lepi\Recovery.IMG
    5. PRELOADER = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\3 - MTK Droid tools - Backup ROM and Scatter\backups\XXXXXX \!File to Flashtool\preloader.bin
    • Ensure tablet is NOT CONNECTED and is OFF.
    • Do one final check and next press Download
    • Next connect tablet whilst off. You will hear windows connect.
    • A red Flash bar will now load. ( If you get an error try changing USB speed in options and stop process and try again. ) If you get any other errors try googling.
    • Once done you will see a big green tick and your done.
    8. TWRP and Flashing ROM
    • Leave the Tablet off and remove SD card and load custom ROM zip. Plus any other fixes you want to install on to the root of the SD card. Location of the file should be below. ( we saved our zips to the location in our first step )
    • CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\2 - Custom ROM Zip and Additional Fixes
    • Once this complete. Eject SDcard from computer and place back into off tablet.
    • Now here comes the tricky part booting into Recovery.
    • This can be done a couple of way.
    • Press and hold power for about a second then press and hold vol+ until a menu displays (its small in white). Scroll through the menu options with vol+ and select with vol-
    • If you have issues doing this. Boot into tablet and download Mobileuncle tools and ‘ Reboot into recovery’ from there.
    • Once your in TWRP recovery . Click install > change storage at the bottom to SD card > and click the Custom rom.
    • Next click the + symbol and add second zip Eg keyboard fix . ( you can continue adding fixes to your queue ) each one will be installed in order.
    • Next click flash and wait for flashing to complete . This could take up to 15min.
    • Once compete wipe cache . This could take up 10-15 min also .
    • Next click reboot. ( First boot will take some time )
    • CONGRATULATIONS You have installed your custom rom.
    If you can make this tutorial better . Please edit with changes on and send back and I will update post and ZIP . Thanks for reading hope it helps. Videos to be posted shortly .

Thanks

ISH . Peace out . !!!!
    Last edited by dwtk; 04-26-2015, 23:50.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************

QUICK INSTALL METHOD !!!!!

From what I have been reading on this thread the above method doesn't always work . especially the MTKDROID TOOLS part. So here is a quick method to do all of the above with the exception your TABLET WILL GO BACK TO FACTORY SETTING AND YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA SO BACK UP BACK UP ALSO IMIE.
    • Follow STEPS 1 2, 3 As above.
      * Next download Stock ROM from Links in this post.
    • I used the 2.0 version. But check what your current ROM is . You should have upgraded to the latest.
    • Extact Stock rom to a location.
    • Now start STEP 6 . But instead of navigating to MTKDROID TOOLS BACKUP . Navigate and open stockrom Scatter file in SP FLASH TOOLS. Everything will load up
    • Replace the following sections in Flashtools and select download only.
    1. Select Download Only ( This will preserve your IMEI Number )
    2. EBR 1 = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\5 - App Space Re-partion - 6G\EBR1_6G
    3. EBR 2 = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\5 - App Space Re-partion - 6G\EBR2_6G
    4. RECOVERY = CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\4 - SP Flash Tool and TWRP Recovery\1 - TWRP_2.8.5.0_mod_Lepi\Recovery.IMG
    This will flash the stock ROM with all stock parts except for repartitioned 6GB Partitions and TWRP Recovery which we have replaced above.
    • Ensure tablet is NOT CONNECTED and is OFF.
    • Do one final check and next press Download
    • Next connect tablet whilst off. You will hear windows connect.
    • A red Flash bar will now load. ( If you get an error try changing USB speed in options and stop process and try again. ) If you get any other errors try googling.
    • Once done you will see a big green tick and your done.
    • Continue with Step 7 . Also see tutorial update below to format second partition.
    TUTORIAL UPDATES

* It seems during the tutorial I missed a step. Once you have finished flashing the device and installing the custom rom you will find you arent able to mount the second 6GB partition within Android. To get around this I would suggest turning off USB debugging mode and connecting tablet to PC as mass storage device. Once windows has finished installing drivers you will see partition as grayed out. right click and format as fat32. Make sure you format the correct partition.
    Last edited by dwtk; 06-17-2015, 11:51.

Comment

Hello there,
      thank you for this nice and well explained tuto!
      unfortunately, I am stuck with the error message in the step 5
      I tired around 15/20 times and event if the file files.md5 is found it says : impossible to find the file :
      "Preparation des fichiers pour Flashtool est impossible, fichier n est pas trouve : C:\Users\NG\Downloads\CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\3 - MTK Droid tools - Backup ROM and Scatter\backups\U65GT_141111_backup_150428-084904\MT65??_Android_scatter*.txt"

As my tablet is new and empty, do I really need to do a backup?

thank you for your help

Comment

Hi there

I got that error message before but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

1) make sure you are using USB cable that came with tablet if not try another one. Sometimes this can be an issue. Or different USB port .

2)you could go download the stock firmware that matches your tablet from the link in the doc and use that to flash to blocks . But I would be careful when doing this . I had to do it because I bricked my tablet trying to flash wrong way . That's why I created this tutorial .

Can you post a video of you doing the step and error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually now reading it again try deleting the backup and recreating Raw backup again . (Step 4) It looks like the backup you made might be corrupt . Did you watch the video ?

Comment

Great guide dude, thanks, I just followed it and successfully installed the same version of lepi custom ROM, the only problem I have now is that under settings\storage\ the section default write disk lets me choose only SD CARD , I don't have internal storage option despite I see internal storage section down below as 6 GB partition. This creates problems with several apps and stuff, Swiftkey for example.
            I already tried to reboot and take out the sdcard and back in again several times with no luck, the internal storage radio button is not there anymore.
            Do you have any idea on how to fix this?

Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by babz44 View Post
              Hello there,
              thank you for this nice and well explained tuto!
              unfortunately, I am stuck with the error message in the step 5
              I tired around 15/20 times and event if the file files.md5 is found it says : impossible to find the file :
              "Preparation des fichiers pour Flashtool est impossible, fichier n est pas trouve : C:\Users\NG\Downloads\CubeTalkx9_ROM_KIT_V1\3 - MTK Droid tools - Backup ROM and Scatter\backups\U65GT_141111_backup_150428-084904\MT65??_Android_scatter*.txt"

As my tablet is new and empty, do I really need to do a backup?

thank you for your help

I had the same problem, you can put the scatter file provided by dwtk in the same directory of the md5 file then try again it should work.

Comment

I found that my problem is that TWRP can't mount \emmc when i install so my internal storage is now unusable.
                Something went wrong with repartitioning i guess.
                I tried to go to TWRP/Mount i can't select internal storage (internal sdcard shows as 0 Megabytes) so the tablet is malfunctioning now.

Anyone knows how to fix this ?

Comment

The 6GB partition was not formatted, all i had to do is attach the turned on tablet to my desktp and format the partition with FAT32 (Just play a bit with USB debugging option if the drive is not visibile on Windows)
                  Now Everything works fine.
                  Hope this helps other people with the same problem.​

Comment

Sorry I couldn't reply was on holiday . Glad you got it resolved .

Comment

Sorry I couldn't reply I was on holiday. Glad you got it all resolved . Do you recommend adding this step to tutorial . If so let me know at which step and text and I will add it . Thanks

Comment

You can also just reflash the EBR1 and EBR2 files if you have issues with formatting . Normally after first boot after flashing you should check the storage . Like you said you might need to format but you should be able to to this from tablet .

Comment

By chance is your tablet a 32 gb. The EBR files used in my tutorial were only texted on a 16gb . Here is a link for 32.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, No my tablet is the 16 Gb version, I don't know why I could not see the partition from twrp. The only thing I did differently from your guide is I used your scatter file because the tool didn't create any scatter file for me so I could not go on.
                            Maybe a poblem related to the scatter file's addresses for the partitions?

Comment

The scatter file is from the stock rom . So not mine either . I'm going to flash another tablet soon. Will see if there was a step I missed .

Comment

Working...
                              X