Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Parameter Patches for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exile1975 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant. After you flash the parameter patch, flash the ROM again and all is well.
    What he said...

It's actually in the FAQ's... if anything goes wrong, just reflash the ROM.

Most people seem to be having a good experience with the patches... others seem to be fine after reflashing the ROM.

I'll probably start referring anyone else with similar problems to the FAQ post...

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

ShaunMT- I successfully installed TWRP, and then tried the 4GB patch, which threw up error messages (not able to mount different partitions) and soft-bricked the device. I then installed your modified ROM via TWRP that already had the 4GB app partition, and it is running flawlessly so far. Thank you for your hard work on this. The tiny space for apps was really my only gripe about this tablet, and now it's finally a usable tablet.

Comment

Didn't work for me, what am I not doing correctly?

So I downloaded the entire ZIP file to external SD card. I then put SD card into slot and turned on tablet. Nothing happened, everything is still the same. Then I erased everything off the external SD card and just put on the parameter.IMG file. I put the SD card into the slot and turned on the tablet. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Sorry about the beginner questions. You guys can make fun of me, its ok. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by mjatmjatmjat View Post
          So I downloaded the entire ZIP file to external SD card. I then put SD card into slot and turned on tablet. Nothing happened, everything is still the same. Then I erased everything off the external SD card and just put on the parameter.IMG file. I put the SD card into the slot and turned on the tablet. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Sorry about the beginner questions. You guys can make fun of me, its ok. Thanks for any help you can provide.
          Welcome to the wonderful world of potentially turning your tablet into a paperweight! Just kidding. Okay, first things first. This ZIP file can only be installed through the custom recovery program called TWRP. So, the first thing you must do is install ShaunMT's TWRP onto your tablet. There is a thread in this forum that explains how to do that. After you successfully install TWRP, you need to boot the tablet into recovery mode, which is usually done by pressing the VolumeUp and Power buttons together (or is it VolDown and Power?). After a cute TWRP splash screen, you're given a lot of options. Touch the Install button, and then navigate to the ZIP file you want to install. Reboot. If you're lucky, that should do it.

BTW, the parameter file didn't work for me. If that happens to you, download ShaunMT's TWRP-flashable custom rom (which has the parameters built in already) and flash that from TWRP, and you should be good to go. Worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by nalf38 View Post
            Welcome to the wonderful world of potentially turning your tablet into a paperweight! Just kidding. Okay, first things first. This ZIP file can only be installed through the custom recovery program called TWRP. So, the first thing you must do is install ShaunMT's TWRP onto your tablet. There is a thread in this forum that explains how to do that. After you successfully install TWRP, you need to boot the tablet into recovery mode, which is usually done by pressing the VolumeUp and Power buttons together (or is it VolDown and Power?). After a cute TWRP splash screen, you're given a lot of options. Touch the Install button, and then navigate to the ZIP file you want to install. Reboot. If you're lucky, that should do it.

BTW, the parameter file didn't work for me. If that happens to you, download ShaunMT's TWRP-flashable custom rom (which has the parameters built in already) and flash that from TWRP, and you should be good to go. Worked for me.
            Ok. I have TWRP. I am currently installing ShaunMT's TWRP-flashable custom ROM and am flashing that from TWRP right now. It has been 40 minutes and it is still going...or maybe stuck??? Is this normal, how long does it take? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by nalf38 View Post

The TWRP flashable version of the ROM does not have any parameters at all... it only has a boot image and system image in it....

However, assuming the system restore part of the parameter flash failed, reflashing just the TWRP version of ROM fixes it.

In the event the patch fails before it installs the new parameter image, then you might have to flash both the ROM and the desired patch again.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Ok. I have TWRP. I am currently installing ShaunMT's TWRP-flashable custom ROM and am flashing that from TWRP right now. It has been 40 minutes and it is still going...or maybe stuck??? Is this normal, how long does it take? Thanks.
                I haven't timed it, but I don't think it should take that long.... what was the last message written on the screen?

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                  I haven't timed it, but I don't think it should take that long.... what was the last message written on the screen?

ShaunMT

Last message is....'Extracting system.img' Its been like that for 50 minutes now...
                  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

Last message is....'Extracting system.img' Its been like that for 50 minutes now...
                    Thanks for any help you can provide.
                    How fast is your external SD card?

If it isn't a class 10 or ultra class, it could take quite a long time...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

How fast is your external SD card?

If it isn't a class 10 or ultra class, it could take quite a long time...

ShaunMT
                      I have no idea how fast it is. It is a SanDisk 32GB.

Comment

It should have a letter C on it with a number inside between 1 and 10 and / or a U on it with a number between 1 and 4.

Higher numbers are faster. Class 10 is the same as Ultra 1.

I use a class 10 card and it takes a while... It could take a VERY long time with a slower card...

Otherwise, you may be stuck...

I'd give it some more time and then shutdown manually, check you SD card, and possibly try again.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Dont know if this help or not but the messages on the screen are:

Updating partition details
                          E: Unable to mount '/system'
                          Full SELinux support is present
                          MTP Enabled
                          Installing '/external_sd/SMT-etc etc etc_052714.zip
                          Checking for MD5 file
                          Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found
                          Extracting boot.img
                          Extracting system.img

Its been like this for about 70 minutes now..

Comment

Dont know if this help or not but the messages on the screen are:

Updating partition details
                            E: Unable to mount '/system'
                            Full SELinux support is present
                            MTP Enabled
                            Installing '/external_sd/SMT-etc etc etc_052714.zip
                            Checking for MD5 file
                            Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found
                            Extracting boot.img
                            Extracting system.img

Its been like this for about 70 minutes now..

Yeah, I'd shut it down, check everything out and then possibly try again.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

It should have a letter C on it with a number inside between 1 and 10 and / or a U on it with a number between 1 and 4.

Higher numbers are faster. Class 10 is the same as Ultra 1.

I use a class 10 card and it takes a while... It could take a VERY long time with a slower card...

Otherwise, you may be stuck...

I'd give it some more time and then shutdown manually, check you SD card, and possibly try again.

ShaunMT

I just checked **** where I bought it. It is a Class 4.

Comment

The TWRP flashable version of the ROM does not have any parameters at all... it only has a boot image and system image in it....

However, assuming the system restore part of the parameter flash failed, reflashing just the TWRP version of ROM fixes it.

In the event the patch fails before it installs the new parameter image, then you might have to flash both the ROM and the desired patch again.

ShaunMT
                                That's odd. Then the original parameter flash must have worked on changing the partition sizes, but failed on the system restore. Am I understanding you correctly? I definitely have 4GB app space now, which is the parameter file I flashed that supposedly failed. I already have installed roughly twice as many apps as I was previously able to, and still have nearly 2 1/4 GB left. However it happened, I'll take it. Thank you again for your great work.

Comment

Working...
                                X