Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nextbook 7 Premium #0811 Custom ROM with Market3.4.4 By Finless Version 1.4

OK by request! A Nextbook 7 Serial #0811 Finless 1.4 ROM with Market 3.4.4
    This is the same release I have done for all Nextbook ROMs.
    While I can flash this to my Tablet and can test That it is a BRICK ROM, I can confirm this. How good of a working ROM it is, I cannot say.

Also I have to say something. Flashing this ROM on my Tab, I noticed this kernel has throttling that actually slowed my processor down on boot and every other thing I could see and test! Wow is this thing slow!

So with that said, I wonder if I can later help 0811 guys and speed this thing up! Another time to look at this

Anyway.... below is the ROM description and link.

WARNING! Remove your SDCard when flashing this ROM!!! There is a risk it can be ERASED!!!

This has been a lot of work by many other people. I HAVE to give total PROPS to FreakTab user Fenice57. His first ext4 setup was not quite right. We all worked together and Fenice solved the problem by highly modifying the recovery system.

ext4 explanation:
    Understand the history. After a ROM flash the recovery system formats everything. Well without a change in that it simply reformatted anything back to ext3. The ext4.ko kernel modules handled mounting an ext3 partition even if the mount command said to mount as ext4!!! It even reported it mounted as ext4!!! Go figure that one So lot's of testing and benchmarking later..... We have a real ext4 file system!
    So there was no ext4 file system to benefit from in previous work. The improved ext4 kernel modules gave a little performance add but not much. However Fenice57 worked HARD on solving this and modified the recovery system to stop the format to ext3. Sowa and myself also added in testing and showing the issues. But Fenice is the MAN! He solved it.

Fenice57... Can I just say THANK YOU! Everyone that uses my 1.4 ROM. Please also give a hand to Fenie57!

OK so what’s in this ROM 1.4
    It's the same as 1.3 with a couple more tweaks on my part based on user feedback and a couple of other slim downs in code I have done to init.rc, updated lib modules, etc.

1) WiFi scan interval is changed from 15 seconds to 300. This may help some guys with battery issues. Myself, I do not have this problem but due to many asking for it, I put it in. If you want to change it back:
    Use a file manager and copy out from /system the file build.prop file. Copy it on your SDCard. Then copy to PC or whatever. Edit the file and find this line:
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=300
    Just edit the 300 back to 15 and your back to stock.

2) ext4 file system.. Well I explained the work that went into this above but just to add. I have done extensive benchmarking with many tools. This does not add a huge performance increase to the overall use of the tablet. EXCEPT, and this is actually kind of benefit, Sequential Write of files to memory. Large file writes are over double what they were on ext3. Random Read and Random Write are about the same. So where you should see an increase is downloads to Tablet memory, market download and install speed, some apps that write to memory a lot, etc etc etc. Overall however, the tablet seems much faster to me but remember, I am the cooker so I am biased

3) Because of popular use of Hauwei 3G sticks in Europe and Asia, I added this Fenice57 mods for support of this. I cannot and have no way to test this patch. So hopefully I implemented this properly. You guys I am sure will let me know
    3g USB-modem Hauwei models E1550 E1692 E1750 E1820 *

Ok well that’s it. I was working on a dual boot setup but that will have to wait for 1.5

Here is the download link for 1.4

ROM -> Nextbook 7 Premium #0811 rooted version 1.4 by Finless (130 megs)

Again, this ROM was a combined effort from a few people and I could not have done it without them!

Oh and also....special thanks to Freaktab user Daman for an awesome boot screen and a LOW COST boot animation that will show people if the Tab is bricked or actually booting! When I say a low cost boot animation I tested it. With out it the boot time was only 4 seconds longer! But the beauty is unlike complex boot animations out there, this one gives the user feedback showing something is happening rather than wondering if it is a brick! GOOD JOB Daman and thank you!
    If you the user wants to remove it, since you are rooted , just go into /system/media and delete the file bootanimation.zip. But I think you may find you like it so I personally enjoy it and will keep it

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ANDROID MARKET

Market issues. Market issue "may" still exist. This is common on tablets that are not really supported by Google as a registered device. Most users have no issues but sometimes there can be, The 2 issues that seem to arise when your FIRST TIME try to use the Market are:

A) Cannot logon; "Cannot establish a reliable data connection" I have tried to recreate this and troubleshoot this. My belief if in fact this happens sometimes when Google servers are doing something or something is going on with them. When I had this happen once I simply waited a while and it worked later. So I cannot help too much here. My only suggestion to try is this
    a) Install a root file manager like root explorer or ES file manager (enable root access for them)
    b) Go in with the file manager and delete /data/misc/imei/imei or data.dat which ever one exists

B) Limited apps listed; I have reproduced this and know how to recreate it and fix it! This has to do (I beleive) that after a factory reset or a flash the tablet creates a ID based on some other IDs and a random key generator. Sometimes this ID Google does not like. So we have to clear that and reboot. YOU DO NOT EVER NEED TO REFLASH OR DO A FACOTRY RESET TO FIX THIS!!!!
    DO the following
    a) Again using a file manager that has root access go in and delete the follow folders from the /data/data directory.
    com.android.vending (not com.applib.vending!)
    com.android.vending.updater
    com.google.android.gm
    com.google.android.gsf
    b) Reboot and do nothing else but run the Market. YOu should get a prompt asking you to accept the Google terms of service. If you did not you did something wrong. Do it again. If you do get the prompt, accept and now the Market should work fully with TONS of apps showing up.

Tutorial for installing drivers for flashing-http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-for-flashing!

Bob

UPDATE - May 12, 2012. Per request I have added the Stock 0811 ROM for download. Remember this is not from Nextbook! It was a dump from a user. Looking at it is sure looks to be the stock ROM but you cant be 100% sure.

ROM -> Nextbook 7 Premium #0811 STOCK ROM (130 megs)

Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 08-28-2014, 14:30.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

So any feedback on this? Does it work?

Bob

Comment

Just downloaded and installed. The link is wrong, it points to the 1011 rom.

You just made my day! I have an older 1011 tablet and lost my wifi, soft buttons and sound with the 1011 custom rom (other people with 1011 tabs have reported the same problem). I haven't been able to restore the tab, because none of the roms in circulation (official and custom) work. The 0811 rom fixes that, the older 1011 tabs probably have the same hardware. So I'm happy my tab works again.

As you commented these older tabs are quite sluggish. One thing I noticed when I ran the 1011 rom is that the tab is a lot faster and much more useable (except without wifi it's useless).

I'm keen to get the tab running a bit faster. Can I just copy kernel drivers over with su/adb?

I'll have a play...

Thanks so much, it looks like there is a real possibility to make this tab useful. The constant lags doesn't make it very much fun to use.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know about the link. It is fixed! Sorry about that. I assume you figured it out and changed it and was able to download it?

As for the speed. CPU speed is set in the kernel. Without the kernel source I cant do anythng about it. I know where to change it and in fact with a root file explorer you can see the settings config file and edit them. But editing it does nothing as you have to reboot and when you do your edits get over written by the kernel again.

You might try using just the kernel.img from 1011 ROM in place of the kernel.img on the 0811 ROM and see what happens. Let me know if that works and I can make a new ROM.

Bob

Comment

Yes, I changed the link

I don't know much about these things (yet), but the kernel is where all the drivers sit, yes? In that case using the 1011 kernel will do no good as it will include the wrong drivers for wifi, sound and softkeys. I'll need to figure out which files to change via adb or so.

There's also the possibility, I guess, that the CPU speed is set to make it behave with the older hardware...

Is there a way to unpack the kernel image, so I can compare the two versions directly?

Comment

In correct and it depends. SOme kernal modules are injected into the running kernel using insmod in init.rc.

For instance rkand29ko.ko is a driver package in init.rc that gets injected into the kernal and init time. Same with things like bluetooth, etc. This is how we inject the EXT4 file system kernel drivers. We don't have source for the kernel so that was the only way.

So you could get lucky!!!!

I would try it for sure and see.

Bob

Comment

Any chance this will work on an 0511 model or is anything similar in the works for that range of nextbooks?

Comment

We would need the stock 0511 ROM to make a rooted ROM. If you know where to get one I can have a look.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  In correct and it depends. SOme kernal modules are injected into the running kernel using insmod in init.rc.

For instance rkand29ko.ko is a driver package in init.rc that gets injected into the kernal and init time. Same with things like bluetooth, etc. This is how we inject the EXT4 file system kernel drivers. We don't have source for the kernel so that was the only way.

So you could get lucky!!!!

I would try it for sure and see.

Bob
                  Thanks Bob. I'll have a play when I find some time.

Comment

WIFI issues also

Edit:nevermind being stuiped

Comment

Thank you so much.

I flashed this 0811 rom and my bricked 7P come back with wifi and all buttons.
                      Thank you for your effort.

However I encountered a problem. When I tried to install apps from market, I got the msg saying that I was not having enough memory. Then I tried to examine the storage option inside the setting and I realised that the available internal memory was zero.

Did I miss anything during flashing the rom?

Your help is appreciated!

Comment

Sounds like you diod not check the loader box in the flash tool. You need to flash the new loader 2.08 and eraseIDB.

Bob

Comment

Sounds like you diod not check the loader box in the flash tool. You need to flash the new loader 2.08 and eraseIDB.

Bob
                          Thank you, Bob.

That's the point that I missed. It's ok now.

Comment

Bob
                            Hi Bob,

I discovered another problem. Many apps from the Google play cannot be installed.
                            I got this msg: "your device isn't compatible with this item".

Any fix on this issue? Is it a Google play bug?

Your help is appreciated.

Rstako.

Comment

I think I do have a fix. It is the latest google market files. Google Play just updates one file from the old Market 3.4.4. I have a new set that I am using and sfter 20 sum odd flashes over this weekend I have no longer run into that problem.

Stay tuned I will have something out soon for everyone.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X