Pipo M8HD RileyROM 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo M8HD RileyROM 1.3

This ROM is based on a Pipo firmware release dated 11/30/2013. I'm not sure what the changes were in the firmware because there was (as usual) no change log. I don't own an M8HD tablet, but I have tested this ROM on my M7 Pro and it boots and works just fine.

I've started using a new process in making ROM's which involves adding a couple of features you may find handy.

First of all, in an effort to get a working CWM Recovery for these Pipo tablets, my development collegues here at Freaktab have devised a process to automatically install CWM after the first boot. The stock recovery will appear on first boot and format all of the necessary partitions, then the system will automatically install CWM Recovery after the first boot. So let the tablet set of a minute or two while this is being done before you reboot. From then on, when you reboot to recovery you will be in CWM.

Next, there is a feature to automatically install any apps you have in folder called "autoinstall" on your external SD card. Just load the apk files you wish to install in that folder and watch them populate to the app drawer immediately after the tablet boots for the first time. CWM will install last, so just wait about a minute after you see your last app populate to the app drawer. Now there are some limitations to this feature. First, you must have no spaces in the file names of the apk files. Just use your explorer app to rename the apps to remove spaces. Also, I wouldn't just install EVERYTHING from autoinstall. This is for utilities you need immediately. It's still better to restore your apps/data from a Titanium Backup. Some apps don't like to be installed this way. For instance, if you have an app like Titanium that has a key app to unlock all the features, you can install Titanium, but NOT the key app this way. Those key apps prefer to be installed via Google Play Store or from a Titanium Backup. Just experiment with it and see how it works for you.

Thanks to Finless, I've figured out how to keep the provision services from running...to try to install a bunch of bloatware that I've removed. Now it boots directly to the launcher.

As usual this ROM is:

Rooted
    Debloated
    Init.d Support
    Busybox Support
    English Default
    Working CWM Recovery
    2, 4, 6 or 8gb user app space by changing parameter files
    Boot Animation by Tattman65
    Reboot app by Petrus
    Updated First Time User's Guide
    Rockchip driver installer app is now included in the kit

Download

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!!
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

New rom

Thx for the rom. I shall install it this week and report back any issues.
    Or non issues when it works perfect...I think this is most likely.

But first install titanium to back up my apps etc...
    Freakbox V1 firmware 1.0.4
    Pipo M8HD, Rileyrom 1.9 KitKat
    CX919, Finless ROM 2.0 - KitKat 4.4.2 for CX-919 - BETA

Comment

Hi, first of all many thanks for ur hard work!!!!

Then.. the questions: since I am Italian, I'd like to know if it is possible to change the default (english) language to italian (using morelocale or something?). I don't have particular problems in understanding english (I can read and listen surely better than write... ) but, still, it would be great to have it localized and translated as much as possible... another possible question is: I hear some "clicks" or static noises during boot-up, from front speakers... is it normal? Maybe it depends on the rom actually installed (a custom rooted rom from EtoTalk)???

Again many many thanks for ur work, I hope to be able to test it soon on M8HD!!!
      Last edited by Axios; 12-04-2013, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Axios View Post
        Hi, ...... question is: I hear some "clicks" or static noises during boot-up, from front speakers... is it normal? Maybe it depends on the rom actually installed (a custom rooted rom from EtoTalk)???

Again many many thanks for ur work, I hope to be able to test it soon on M8HD!!!
        Hi Axios,

My m8hd also make these sounds during boot-up.
        It is normal, I think its loading and initialing of drivers and hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul01 View Post
          Hi Axios,

My m8hd also make these sounds during boot-up.
          It is normal, I think its loading and initialing of drivers and hardware.

Hi,
          thank U so much for clearing out this issue for me!

I have the tablet since late yesterday, but for that little I had been able to "test", I must admit it seems very good, with astounding screen, good power and much potential... this is why I am looking forward to try some nice roms...

Many thanks again!

Comment

Re: Pipo M8HD RileyROM 1.3

Originally posted by Axios View Post
            Hi, first of all many thanks for ur hard work!!!!

Then.. the questions: since I am Italian, I'd like to know if it is possible to change the default (english) language to italian (using morelocale or something?). I don't have particular problems in understanding english (I can read and listen surely better than write... ) but, still, it would be great to have it localized and translated as much as possible... another possible question is: I hear some "clicks" or static noises during boot-up, from front speakers... is it normal? Maybe it depends on the rom actually installed (a custom rooted rom from EtoTalk)???

You can always change the language to whatever you need. I figure English is easier than Chinese is for most people to find the right setting.
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
            Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
              You can always change the language to whatever you need. I figure English is easier than Chinese is for most people to find the right setting.
              Hi,

Thank U for Ur reply, Yes, English is actually "a bit" easier than Chinese.. It was just a "noob" question.. since sometimes I see that various ROMs are not fully on one language, sometimes there are part of them (especially advanced settings and something alike) in other languages. But, let's say, 95% in my language and 5% english is not a problem at all.

Since U had been so kind to reply: I have read in many sites that the Pipo M8HD seems to have a better tuned-up software and it tends to score higher values (benchmark, battery time, etc...) than it "brothers" with same specs (rk3188, mali400, 2gb, etcc...).. so is Ur rom based on the same, supposedly better tuned-up, rom?

forgive me in advance is the question might me a little bit "stupid"... and again many thanks for Ur work, I will try it as soon as possible (after having thoroughly read the instructions...)!!!

Comment

Just got home - thanks for this Randy.

I've patched the kernel and installed it on the old image on my device

Antutu 20268 -- stock + 720 RAM

unstable on my M8HD -- 1.7 GHz + 720 RAM

I need to fully charge my tablet before flashing the full image
                Last edited by d33; 12-06-2013, 23:31.
                Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
                Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
                Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
                Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
                CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
                Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
                RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

The spookily similar M7 Pro upgrade released on the same day stated the benefits as:
                  1. New fast boot feature;
                  2. New status bar is hidden functions;
                  3. Optimized UI icon layout;
                  4. Fixed electronic photo frame error problem;
                  5. Fixed the boot capacity TF card identification

None of which seems sufficiently exciting for me to install before I head to bed. I'll do it tomorrow.

Donate to Finless

Comment

Pipo M8HD RileyROM 1.3

Ok flashed and working. Comments:

1. Deep sleeping working but still battery drains 1% per hour
                    2. A number of Google elements needed upgrading straight after install
                    A. Google talk (Hangouts)
                    B. google Play
                    C. Google framework
                    3. Reboot app kills wifi on reboot (known prob.)

Using my ipad so apols for any stupid ios spelling 'corrections'

Donate to Finless

Comment

The next ROM will have the deep sleep fixed. (Theoretically)

The latest Google Apps collection I could find is also out of date. As soon as I can find one that doesn't need it, I will start updating them in my ROM. Right now, there's no sense in putting in a more up-to-date version, that still needs to be updated....kind of counter productive, I think. I'll work on it. Meantime, it doesn't take that long to update everything.

Sometime this week, I should have an updated Reboot app that doesn't disable wifi. Petrus is working on fixing that problem.

Enjoy the ROM, and keep me posted on how it works for you.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
                      Randy
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Donate here

Comment

Randy just to repeat, my M8HD does go into Deep Sleep already. No fix needed.

Sent from my M8HD using Tapatalk

Donate to Finless

Comment

Yes, but I think we can do better than 1% per hour battery drain.
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

Flashed and working fine, Installed with patched stock kernel ...noticed that apps are faster. Nice work guys.

Sent from my M8HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                              Yes, but I think we can do better than 1% per hour battery drain.
                              I have tried to change boot.img (init.rc) as Bob do in Finless M9 ROM and I get 0.3% per hour with wifi on but not running

Will try with wifi off this night

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X