Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Mecool M8s Pro L and Pro + (and others ?) - Options ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wimpie007
    i was to lazy to cut out a square, so i just done the 30mm round one. (drill it out)
    Yips, it is a 12v, was surprised myself it would run on 3.3! couldnt find a 5 volt source inside... now, it is connected on the UART pins.
    You can get 5V from the USB slots

Comment

Originally posted by mirbg View Post

You can get 5V from the USB slots
      Yes - USB has 5V across outer pins - Square Pad is -ve (Nearest the power input socket/back)
      3.3V from UART is nice if you want slower &/or quieter.

I found 5V 30mm fan listed as a Pi Fan on that Bay for a £.

Just meant that putting fan inside leaves the lid with a hole but no fan "bump" !!(though you can fit a fan and have no hole - just space it from the lid a couple of mm and the circulation is enough, at least in England, see pic post 1)

Thanks for the posts

Comment

Originally posted by P.X
        Just meant that putting fan inside leaves the lid with a hole but no fan "bump" !!(though you can fit a fan and have no hole - just space it from the lid a couple of mm and the circulation is enough, at least in England, see pic post 1)

Thanks for the posts
        Strange...in my case it made little difference with the fan inside and lid lifted about 1mm...just 5-6C lower.

Comment

Originally posted by mirbg View Post

Strange...in my case it made little difference with the fan inside and lid lifted about 1mm...just 5-6C lower.
          Lift the lid and space fan 2mm away from inside lid ?

EDIT
          Sorry - Wrongly annotated - Pro L so should be noted as with 2x Slots cut in grooved lid.

I'll re-test ...
          Last edited by P.X; 02-03-2018, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by P.X

Lift the lid and space fan 2mm away from inside lid ?
            Yes, didn't make any difference- went down from 80 to 74C.
            With the fan taking fresh air from outside, the temps went down to 54-55C

Comment

Yes, better with holes/slots.
              Wouldn't say no difference, as throttling involved.

Pro L Stress CPU hits 80°C with throttling to 1000MHz

Pro L with Fan no holes Stress CPU hits 77°C 1500MHz (ambient 17-18°C)

Hot climate and max stress required, would indicate hole/slots needed.

Comment

Updated - Added Graph Post 1
                3x 30mm Fan options (Lifted+Lid / 2xSlots / ~28mm Hole)

Comment

How does one solder the fan leads to the board, the connections on the board are soooooooo tiny????
                  MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                    How does one solder the fan leads to the board, the connections on the board are soooooooo tiny????
                    3.3V UART are relatively big pads (square one is -ve, opposite end of 4 is +ve) with holes for small wire.
                    5V USB are big pins sticking through board on the underside.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by P.X View Post

3.3V UART are relatively big pads (square one is -ve, opposite end of 4 is +ve) with holes for small wire.
                      5V USB are big pins sticking through board on the underside.

HTH
                      Haha, big pads?? I can't figure out how to get my soldering pencil into that tiny hole...............
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Pre tin the little wire end
                        Poke end into (or at least against) the hole
                        Press soldering iron (pre tinned again) against wire and pad
                        Wire should slide into hole and tin the pad at the same time

at least that is the theory !

Comment

Thinking ... With the UART pads, you could try poking the wires through the holes and soldering on the underside of the board !

Comment

Is it possible to add a fan and that it is deactivated when we turn off the tv box? I need this, because I use the TV box to sleep and I do not want the fan to be on all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertron View Post
                              Is it possible to add a fan and that it is deactivated when we turn off the tv box? I need this, because I use the TV box to sleep and I do not want the fan to be on all night.
                              Are you worried about noise ? The waste of energy ? Wear and tear on the fan bearings ??

Noise is not a worry if you use a 5V fan at 3.3V, at least the one I got.
                              Energy is vanishingly small, much less than most standby current.
                              Wear and tear would be my only concern.

You could use a radio remote power socket switch.
                              Often come in packs of 3 or 4 but a pack of 2 can be found for about £10 I think.

If you can find a power line on the board which is switched then someone could probably design a simple FET/transistor switch to put in line with the fan !!!

Otherwise some passive options are detailed early on ....
                              Last edited by P.X; 02-09-2018, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertron
                                Yes, as long as you solder it on the underside of the PCB, at 5V on the one of the USB's.

Comment

Working...
                                X