Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone experiencing poor WiFi speed with the M8S II? My box is 1 floor directly above the router so wifi should be nearly full strength, but when I run a speed test my result is around 3.5mbps/10mbps on a line rated 25mbps/10mbps. If I run a speed test using any other wireless device in the same room as the android box, they get the full speed. I have noticed that since placing the box where it is currently kodi buffers a lot. Additionally the picture quality using my tv provider's android streaming app (Bell Fibe TV) keeps switching between clear and poor/pixelated, however when I use the same app on my tablet anywhere else in the house, the picture quality is clear all the time.

Is this something to be expected since the box doesn't have an external antenna?

Edit: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, I didn't see a general Q&A thread for the Mini M8S II. I am using this ROM and it's working great otherwise.
    Last edited by fattest; 09-04-2017, 04:46.

Comment

Should I get a mini m8s ii or a mecool m8s pro+ which is better and has more ROM support?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        The reason to get the M8S Pro+ is really the Widevine L1 support and the Nougat ROMs. However, it has no Bluetooth or 5GHz WiFi support.

What about ROM support from Devs does one or the other better for?
      do they both run well?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Just speaking for myself, I'll be continuing to support both. I gave the M8S Pro+ priority at the time because of the rather rare Widevine L1 support, but I still use the Mini M8S II at home as one of my main media boxes because of the Bluetooth support.

If I am not bothered about the 5ghz WiFi and Bluetooth which one would you get given the choice?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely the M8S Pro+ then.

There are different ram ROM options for the mini m8s ii do your roms run on all variants?
      do you know a link to a good place to get a mini m8s ii?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        ROM size shouldn't matter, but the DRAM configuration does change the device tree. Mine was built on the 2GB DDR3 configuration, but it could be adapted for the 1GB config pretty easily.

Note that Nougat ROMs have support for multiple DRAM configs by packaging several device trees in the dtb.img. I will be going there soon.

Do you think the mini m8s ii will get android 7

Wanting to know which box will have better future updates?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I'll have some version of Nougat for the p212 boxes, based on the U2+ bootloader and kernel.

Ideally, we'd have a "Precious" ROM for the p212 that has support for multiple wireless chipsets, DRAM configurations and IR remotes like we have for the q201 (S912) boxes now. However, I've been told that the team working on this effort is has now set that project aside to work on other priorities. Without that generic Amlogic p212 bootloader and kernel, it's not going to be nearly as easy to support devices that stray from the U2+.

Wanting to know which box will have better future updates?

Comment

Thus mini m8s ii has 5ghz? Mine doesnt have.

Comment

Magendanz What boxes use the q201 board for this precious ROM?

Do you have links to discussion on this precious rom?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, so far the only OEM we know that has released firmware based on the Precious ROM is Tanix for their TX8 Max, and I believe that Shenzhen Shiningworth is their supplier (ODM). Despite this being a beta release, I built a custom ROM based on the new TX8 Max ROM for the Beelink GT1/Alfawise S92, which are identical hardware based on the Amlogic q201 reference board. Boxes like the M8S Pro are also based on that reference board, but have slight differences in the device tree that may required minor modifications to restore Ethernet.

I'm hoping that we'll be finding more OEMs of Shenzhen Shiningworth that will be releasing versions of this ROM, since it's one of the most flexible ones we've seen. In fact, it's the only one that targets multiple DRAM configurations, IR remote controls, and wireless chipsets...all in one .img file.

That's why we call it Precious..."One ROM to rule them all!" :-)

I am thinking of getting a beelink gt1 or a khadas vim2 any advice which will have more support or is better?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            The VIM2 is really a dev box, with a clear case that looks cool but has no heat sink. Unless you need access to source code, the GT1 will be a better choice for most end-users. I've got three standard GT1s, and they've been my main media players for well over a year.

You might want to also consider the new M8S Pro L (https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_799410.html), which is reported to be the old M8S Pro with Widevine L1 support. So far, the only "unlocked" device with L1 has been the M8S Pro+, and it plays Netflix and other streaming services in HD like nothing other than the Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box. However, it's been plagued with hardware issues (random freezes and restarts) and has no 5GHz WiFi or Bluetooth. The M8S Pro L should have a faster 8-core processor (Amlogic S912), faster DDR4 DRAM, dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0.

If the rumors prove true, that will be the hardware to own.

Is the mini m8s pro a q201 board? Is it a clone of the beelink gt1?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I believe so.

The new meecol pro L is what board please?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            We assume it's a q201, but won't know for sure until we get to look at it's firmware.

I keep seeing mesuvida on boxes on AliExpress do you know what this is?

Comment

Sorry if this question has been answered before, does this ROM works with Edal Mini M8S II Edal M8S II Smart Android 6.0 Amlogic S905X Quad Core 4K 1G /8G TV Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCY2H1W..._9xrXzbBJEKHH2 ?

Comment

I just switched to this ROM on the BeeLink after enjoying the clean minimalistic offering of the Nexus Nano on the MeCool M8S+
              Everything looks great except for one problem ......
              It goes to sleep (per the Daydream timer setting) and I can't wake it up, with either the Minix A2 Lite OR the OEM remote - nothing I do can get it to come back on except power it off/on.
              In the settings, I have daydream selected to display clock when in screensaver mode - however after the time delay, it goes straight to a blank screen that I cannot wake from.
              It DOES have sleep-never selected under the Daydream options;
              If I test the Daydream mode with the 'Daydream Now' selection, then it will go to the clock and recover when the remote is activated;
              But for whatever reason it seems to be going straight to 'sleep' rather than Daydream (screen saver) and once sleeping, cannot 'wake' it.

With the OEM ROM, I had always left it on 24 x 7 and just let it go to screen saver mode - it would just go to the clock and wake when the remote was activated. .

Any Suggestions Guest ?
              Last edited by DEcosse; 10-14-2017, 19:45.

Comment

Working...
              X