Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmkogeretla View Post
    mmm123
    Off in the kernel configuration .config (paranoid android), or will not work online.
    You are right, I usualy run everything as root and it works, but i guess for ubuntu it could be a problem.
    I will fix it and update images.

Comment

Originally posted by mmm123 View Post
      Recovery is working now. Problem was, that kernel command line should be build into the kernel, not into recovery image, also kernel had to be uncompressed, compressed kernel didn't work.
      I can confirm that your recovery.img is working!!
      Booted into linuxium rfs (gui with unity), speed is not impressive, but firsT have to install modules and try to enable network etc.
      MANY THANKS!

Comment

Hi,

i test the ubuntu install on my cs918:

1) I think the error while booting (and install Ubuntu Desktop) is a Ubuntu bug, see this link:

I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday with a LiveUSB. I had problems at booting, so I had to repair grub, and it was ok. But now when I start up my pc, I get the error message 'init: failed to cre...

2) tasksel ist not installed with your image, you have to install it
        apt-get install tasksel

3) I installed Ubuntu desktop, it works!
        But there are no drivers for Graphic and sound, the screen is wrong scaled at 1920 x 1080
        on a Pansonic plasma(hd ready). There is no option to change these, every entry is
        fixed. There is also no option to change the language, everything is fixed, no lists
        where i can select something...

4) only dummy sound device with no way to change

5) wired and wlan do not work, i can connect to the router, but can't access
        any internet page

6) XBMC can't be installed, i think that has something to do with the missing graphic drivers

I think, the desktop version from Ubuntu is not the right version for the cs918,
        i need the picuntu port with drivers for the Arm hardware. But i am a linux noob,
        so i have to wait for an easy install

Regards from Germany
        Gerd
        CS918 with v1.1.1 justXbmc firmware from lewy20041
        Out: HDMI
        In: Logitech K400R keyboard, Flirc adapter for XBMC and Logitech Harmony

Comment

Originally posted by DrHansAPlast View Post
          Hi,
          I think, the desktop version from Ubuntu is not the right version for the cs918,
          i need the picuntu port with drivers for the Arm hardware. But i am a linux noob,
          so i have to wait for an easy install
          Regards from Germany
          Gerd
          ++++++++ Image.tib USB-HDD TrueImage working Ubuntu please! ))))
          And the kernel configuration if you can (.config) )))))

Comment

Originally posted by DrHansAPlast View Post
            Hi,

i test the ubuntu install on my cs918:
            It is easy to fix some of these problems:
            1 is easy, if you use ubuntu installed on SD or USB it should be ok. For "run from NAND" version i had to replace default initrd image with custom one, but it is not difficult to get it back. Strange thing is that this bug description says, that problem is fixed and it is from February, but anyway, next version will have default inird back, so it should be ok.

3 - did you try to install and play with fbset. I didn't try it on rk3188 device, but on my desktop linux it is the way to play with resolution on framebuffer console and framebuffer X server
            About language - there is probably way to change it, guess you need to read ubuntu documentation

4. maybe you need to install alsa
            5. It is already fixed on 1.1.1
            6. No idea about that one.
            Actually installed ubuntu is a simple debootstrap-ed basic ubuntu + 2 lines in /etc/network/interfaces file
            I guess you can download picuntu and install it, then just use my recovery image or "running from sd" image. Just add modules to /lib/modules.

Anyway thank you for your feedback, i will try to fix all problems for next version.

Comment

Originally posted by vmkogeretla View Post
              ++++++++ Image.tib USB-HDD TrueImage working Ubuntu please! ))))
              And the kernel configuration if you can (.config) )))))
              This is config file, if you want to play with it.

if you want instructions how to compile and install i can explain, but it is not for beginners.
              About ubuntu image - from running linux, use debootstrap to install it to USB flash or SD, it is quite simple.

Comment

This is config file, if you want to play with it.

if you want instructions how to compile and install i can explain, but it is not for beginners.
                About ubuntu image - from running linux, use debootstrap to install it to USB flash or SD, it is quite simple.
                Thank you for the config file. Which source do you use for kernel and wifi? I want to make wifi and some usb devices work. If possible, please provide the guideline for compilation to get the nand debian image. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by aruangra View Post
                  Thank you for the config file. Which source do you use for kernel and wifi? I want to make wifi and some usb devices work. If possible, please provide the guideline for compilation to get the nand debian image. Thank you.
                  Linux kernel:
                  Linux Source - RK3188 - PicUntu. Contribute to aloksinha2001/Linux3188 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Just download, copy config, and compile
                  In order to make image, download tool rk30kitchen. Get my image, unpack it and study files inside.
                  Inside this tool, there is directory with rk-tools. Search for newer version, as one provided with it is for 3066 devices only. Update these tools and you are ready to build your image.
                  Image contains several images. Ones you need is misc, kernel and boot + linux.
                  misc image contains parameters, get it from my image. kernel.img contains kernel image produced by mkkrnlimg -a zImage kernel.img (zImage or Image is what you get from compiling kernel in arch/arm/boot)
                  boot.img is initd cpio image, produced by mkkrnlimg -a initrd.cpio.gz boot.img
                  linux.img is actually linuxroot system containing debian or ubuntu.
                  linux.img is usually shrunk to minimum size, so on first boot you should re-size it to size of flash. I do this in inird image, but it could be done in debian/ubuntu.

My recommendation is to first just get my image, unpack it, then repack without changing anything and try if it works. Then try to compile kernel yourself without changing anything, and try if it works. If everything is OK, try to do some modifications.
                  As this kernel is quite a mess, i don't recommend you to do more that 1-2 modifications at a time, because it will most likely stop working, and you won't have idea why.

Comment

Thanks

Hi mmm,

thank you. Works quite well and stable in nand on K-R42. To unleash full performance, execute "cpufreq-set -g performance", otherwise, frequency is limited to 1.2GHz. I only still have nasty overscan problem caused by kernel bug. See http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...EDID#post89590 for details. Sound also not working.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by slackstick View Post
                      Hi mmm,

thank you. Works quite well and stable in nand on K-R42. To unleash full performance, execute "cpufreq-set -g performance", otherwise, frequency is limited to 1.2GHz. I only still have nasty overscan problem caused by kernel bug. See http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...EDID#post89590 for details. Sound also not working.

Peter
                      Thank you for feedback,
                      Sound is working on my device through HDMI port. Just install alsa and try to play something with alsaplayer.
                      About resolution - try to play with fbset it is the way to control framebuffer console.
                      In kernel, these is option "CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID", whch has something to do with reading edid from hardware, but description is all about i386 based video card. Maybe i will try to set it on in next release to see if it helps.

Comment

In kernel, these is option "CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID", whch has something to do with reading edid from hardware, but description is all about i386 based video card. Maybe i will try to set it on in next release to see if it helps.
                        That would be great. BTW, Picuntu Kernel for RK3066 worked with DVI. Raspbian had no problems at all.

Kernel 3.11 has CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE to circumvent such problems, however, I suppose it will be a long time until RK3188 gets this kernel.

edit: fbset does not work, except for setting depth (to 32 bit in X )

Peter
                        Last edited by slackstick; 09-08-2013, 14:52.

Comment

NAND based Linux for RK3188 based TV boxes/sticks

Thank you for feedback,
                          Sound is working on my device through HDMI port. Just install alsa and try to play something with alsaplayer.
                          About resolution - try to play with fbset it is the way to control framebuffer console.
                          Interesting ... my approach to running on NAND is slightly different - details here https://plus.google.com/109451178006...ts/A4qFEY1CXtA for anyone interested with source/binary links posted in the comments

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                            Interesting ... my approach to running on NAND is slightly different - details here https://plus.google.com/109451178006...ts/A4qFEY1CXtA for anyone interested with source/binary links posted in the comments

and ready for the kernel partition recovery possible? boot from usb-hdd. I would like to compare.

Comment

ralink asix usblan

Originally posted by aruangra View Post
                              The MK802iv is the rk3188 device with 8188eu wifi. I installed your nand image file in my device. The device boots and I can login

Now I have to figure out how to make my usb-LAN adapter and wifi works. After inserting an ASIX-based USB-LAN adapter, eth1 is assigned to the device but the ip address is not automatically assigned. I guess I need to manually do it.

After using "modprobe 8188eu", the wifi still doesn't work. FYI, my wifi chip ID is 0bda:0179.
                              Any suggestion?
                              Hi Aruangra, did you get your networking solved? i use a similar usblan, strangely everything is working fine (apt-get, synaptic install) but cannot access the internet in browsers (firefox, chromium). Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by sevo1984 View Post
                                Hi Aruangra, did you get your networking solved? i use a similar usblan, strangely everything is working fine (apt-get, synaptic install) but cannot access the internet in browsers (firefox, chromium). Any idea?
                                sudo dhclient eth1

Comment

Working...
                                X