No announcement yet.

Pipo X7 won't start up anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing some BIOS setting and bricking the device is a very common situation in Teclast X98 tablet, and it is actually quite easy to resolve this situation by reprogramming the BIOS with a very cheap external programmer.

The problem with PiPo X7 may be exactly the same. You just have to wait until Frontier gets the programmer to reprogram the BIOS chip.

In that case, it can even be possible to try to change every available BIOS setting one by one, to find out which setting causes the problem and create a NOT TO DO list.

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
      :
      it is actually quite easy to resolve this situation by reprogramming the BIOS with a very cheap external programmer.
      :
      Any example of the "very cheap external programmer"?
      And how to use it?
      RK3288 Devices
      - Overview BOX (LINK !)
      - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
      UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
      Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
      Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
      Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
        Any example of the "very cheap external programmer"?
        And how to use it?

Normally you have to desolder the BIOS chip and connect it to a programmer like this one:

http://www.****.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=CH341A+24+25+Series

If you do not want to desolder the BIOS chip, you can flash it in place using a clip like this one:

http://www.****.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...p+IC+Test+Clip

Nice explanation of the procedure, although another programmer is used:

Antonio Ospite,blog,Teclast,X98 Air 3G,flashrom,SPI,FPT,Flash Programming Tool,logic level converter,3.3V,1.8V,beglebone black,W25Q64FW

Nice explanation of the procedure, using the CH341A programmer and related software:

Teclast X98 Air 3G Tablet: 9.7" 2048x1536 px - Z3736F - 3G - Android/Windows 8.1 Hi to everyone, I would like to apologize because my english is not so good. This thread could be usefull for to get informations and modding istructions about the...

Comment

found some links for bios drivers etc,
          maybe worth a try:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...tutorial-video-!

Comment

Originally posted by loko View Post
            Since there are many users having this issue, can you describe step by step what exact procedure you did follow to solve this issue?

What exactly do you mean by removing and re-installing the main PCB without unplugging the cables? Just removing the screws of the large PCB and detach it from the case?
            Yes, just removing the screws from the large PCB and detach it from the case.

That does not seem logical at all, unless touching some components with bare hands had something to do with resetting.

Anyway, since you claim that the procedure is reproducible, please describe it thoroughly.
            Yes, it is not logical. The plastics seems to be metallised. Maybe I shorted something

Comment

I expect to have the programmer by the end of this week (if weather conditions permit).
              In the meantime, you can download the necessary software from here (password for CH341 programmer: ch314).

The repository contains EEPROM programming software for both CH341 (the cheap one) and SP300U (the expensive one) kits.
              Last edited by Frontier; 02-24-2015, 13:34.

Comment

Cables and CH341A programmer arrived today from Larissa; after trying for over 4 hours, I give up! I cannot make the programmer detect the chip (Winbond W25Q64DW, the software goes up to W25Q64BV) therefor I cannot re-flash the X7.

I am THAT close of throwing the whole thing to the recycle bin, so frustrated.
                And all that because of one BIOS option change and for PiPO not providing a simple BIOS restore or reset function.

If you plan to use the X7 for anything other than running Windows 8.1, AVOID it.
                It's not worth the trouble.
                Last edited by Frontier; 02-26-2015, 15:48.

Comment

Since your device is bricked it is worth to try this http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...utorial-video-! as a last resort...

Comment

Originally posted by kgian76 View Post
                    Since your device is bricked it is worth to try this http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...utorial-video-! as a last resort...
                    Thanks but these are useless; they are just instructions and files to re-install Windows 8.1 and a BIOS update. They cannot be used with devices that have bricked BIOS.

Comment

Seems to me this procedure includes a bios reinstall...

Comment

Originally posted by Frontier View Post
                        Cables and CH341A programmer arrived today from Larissa; after trying for over 4 hours, I give up! I cannot make the programmer detect the chip (Winbond W25Q64DW, the software goes up to W25Q64BV) therefor I cannot re-flash the X7.

I am THAT close of throwing the whole thing to the recycle bin, so frustrated.
                        And all that because of one BIOS option change and for PiPO not providing a simple BIOS restore or reset function.

If you plan to use the X7 for anything other than running Windows 8.1, AVOID it.
                        It's not worth the trouble.
                        After looking at mine, I think the issue is probably that the chip is a leadless surface mount package. I assume you're using a standard test clip which is designed to contact the edge of the chip. If you look closely, that chip doesn't have legs coming out the sides for the clip to touch. I haven't been able to find an adapter that will work with that chip but this is all new to me. Also, the data sheet it needs 1.8 volts. Be sure your programmer can do that rather than 5v or 3.3v.

http://www.winbond-usa.com/NR/rdonlyres/9029DFAD-5FDD-4C84-851A-7326DF7389AB/0/W25Q64DW.pdf
                        Last edited by dashellmutt; 02-26-2015, 19:39. Reason: Spelling, Additional info, Updated link

Comment

Originally posted by kgian76 View Post
                          Seems to me this procedure includes a bios reinstall...
                          The machine has to be able to actually load the UEFI in order to do this. We're not even getting that far.

Comment

I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the existing chip and put in a normal package with legs or, better yet, a socket. I'm not sure if my soldering skills are good enough for something that small.

Comment

Yea without having legs on the chip soic clips are no good. If you have the skills / tools needed it would probably be easier to just buy a replacement bios chip from **** and re-solder that one back on

Comment

Originally posted by dashellmutt View Post
                                After looking at mine, I think the issue is probably that the chip is a leadless surface mount package. I assume you're using a standard test clip which is designed to contact the edge of the chip. If you look closely, that chip doesn't have legs coming out the sides for the clip to touch. I haven't been able to find an adapter that will work with that chip but this is all new to me. Also, the data sheet it needs 1.8 volts. Be sure your programmer can do that rather than 5v or 3.3v.

http://www.winbond-usa.com/NR/rdonlyres/9029DFAD-5FDD-4C84-851A-7326DF7389AB/0/W25Q64DW.pdf
                                I have isolated the GND and VCC pins from the CH341A programmer (VCC is 3.3V) and instead I am using the VCC and GND ports from a Mixtile Garage Exynos 4412 board, which provides 1.8V. You could be right about the SOIC package used; there are legs but they are completely flat and it could be that the adapter pins do not even make contact with them.

I could try desoldering the chip and put it on a help socket board the programmer has but I am not THAT skilled...

Originally posted by alwaysbless View Post
                                Yea without having legs on the chip soic clips are no good. If you have the skills / tools needed it would probably be easier to just buy a replacement bios chip from **** and re-solder that one back on
                                Will a simple hot air gun do the job of re-soldering it?

Comment

Working...
                                X