Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Android or Linux from an SD card on a RK3288 device - An easy way to dual boot

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
    Your output is not from the original (unedited) script so something may have changed.

Additionally there are two hardware versions on the Tronsmart R28 Orion (PCBA V2.0 and PCBA V3.0) and two versions of Firefly's Android software (v0809 Beta and v0930).

I suggested you start with the stock ROM for your device.

As it is, you have tried a different ROM with an edited script.

Not really the best way to diagnose why "nothing is booting".
    all i done was remove /dev/nulls and add set bash debugging flagsso you could see the output . Point taken about using another image. Ill download the tronsmart stock rom and try.
    Last edited by grant2258; 01-02-2015, 18:00.

Comment

Well I got to the bottom of the problem the firefly image does work. The loopback unmount of system image on some conditions is not working. Im not sure what the conditions are when it doesnt unmount for . I looked through the logs and seen this

+ FLASH_SYSTEM_TO_SDCARD
      + echo -n './create-android-sdcard: Flashing system '\''system.img'\'' to '\''/dev/sdd4'\'' ... '
      ./create-android-sdcard: Flashing system 'system.img' to '/dev/sdd4' ... + cd /home/grant/Desktop/r28/create-sdcard/Android/.
      + dd if=system.img of=/dev/sdd4 conv=sync,fsync
      795080+0 records in
      795080+0 records out
      407080960 bytes (407 MB) copied, 2.73035 s, 149 MB/s <------

I seen i had a few loopbacks mounted it doesnt do it every time though so i changed the code in the script a little

else
      sed -i "s?\(dev_mount.*flash.*/mnt/sdcard.*auto\)?# \1?" system/etc/vold.fstab
      #sed -i "s?\(dev_mount.*sdcard.*/mnt/external_sd.*auto\)?# \1?" system/etc/vold.fstab
      sync
      sync
      umount -f system #i changed this it was originally umount system
      fi
      rm -rf system
      e2fsck -fp system.img

./create-android-sdcard: Flashing system 'system.img' to '/dev/sdd4' ... + cd /home/grant/Desktop/r28/create-sdcard/Android/.
      + dd if=system.img of=/dev/sdd4 conv=sync,fsync
      795080+0 records in
      795080+0 records out
      407080960 bytes (407 MB) copied, 124.27 s, 3.3 MB/s <------------
      + e2fsck -fp /dev/sdd4
      system: 1746/24896 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 97899/99385 blocks
      + resize2fs /dev/sdd4
      resize2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
      Resizing the filesystem on /dev/sdd4 to 196608 (4k) blocks.
      The filesystem on /dev/sdd4 is now 196608 blocks long.

sorry about all the posts i should have picked that up earlier it works every time for me now. Im not sure why it doesnt unmount properly sometimes maybe its something to do with the auto mount system in mint but your scripts work just fine great work mr linuxium
      Last edited by grant2258; 01-02-2015, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by grant2258 View Post
        Well I got to the bottom of the problem the firefly image does work.
        Great. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Running Android or Linux from an SD card on a RK3288 device - An easy way to dual boot

Originally posted by hueb_s View Post
          I must have missed this, thanks!
          Works fine with the HPH 1.4 Rom by mo123, thanks a lot!

Comment

I only have a 4GB card, this procedure won't work with a 4GB card only 8GB or bigger ?
            Tronsmart Draco Meta - Finless ROM
            Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - KnoxRaid ROM
            Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - xKat v3.2.1 ROM
            Tronsmart R28 Orion - Stock (not working)

Comment

It works with 4GB too, I'm using one.

Comment

Originally posted by hueb_s View Post
                It works with 4GB too, I'm using one.
                Awesome. Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

I've attempted to use the script to create an android on my sdcard so that i can boot my r28 into the stock OS since its somewhat bricked.

I installed VirtualBox and Mint linux distro.
                  After running the script, I receive this message. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running the 32bit version of Linux. However i am running it in Live CD mode. Does that matter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	435839

Comment

You need to install gdisk and run the script as root. Also goto the tools directory and try run the binaries see if the show any runtime problems ect

Comment

You need to install gdisk and run the script as root. Also goto the tools directory and try run the binaries see if the show any runtime problems ect
                      Ok so i installed Gdisk and ran the script as root. I keep getting the same unpacking error message as before.
                      When i went to the tools and tried to run rkunpack using ./rkunpack, i received cannot execute binary file: Exec format error.

I am not too familiar with linux, its been years since i messed around with it so I am not sure if I'm doing the commands correctly or not...

Comment

Originally posted by s3ntrax View Post
                        Ok so i installed Gdisk and ran the script as root. I keep getting the same unpacking error message as before.
                        When i went to the tools and tried to run rkunpack using ./rkunpack, i received cannot execute binary file: Exec format error.

I am not too familiar with linux, its been years since i messed around with it so I am not sure if I'm doing the commands correctly or not...
                        you are doing it right the binaries you have are 64 bit though https://github.com/naobsd/rkutils if you want to compile the 32 bit ones. Youll have to install linux properly though and at the very least youll need to install build-essential type apt-get install build-essential to get it.

in the terminal
                        just type
                        gcc rkunpack.c -o rkunpack
                        gcc rkcrc.c -o rkcrc

and youll have the 32 bit versions you need.

linuxium posted the link before on this thread where to get mkkrnlimg if you have problems compiling them two programs ill do it for you.

Update: I checked all the binaries they are all 32 bit accept the rkunpack and rkcrc i complied 32 bit versions for you and anyone that needs them grab them here < 32bit.zip > and copy them to the Tools directory
                        Last edited by grant2258; 01-04-2015, 22:34.

Comment

you are doing it right the binaries you have are 64 bit though https://github.com/naobsd/rkutils if you want to compile the 32 bit ones. Youll have to install linux properly though and at the very least youll need to install build-essential type apt-get install build-essential to get it.

in the terminal
                          just type
                          gcc rkunpack.c -o rkunpack
                          gcc rkcrc.c -o rkcrc

and youll have the 32 bit versions you need.

linuxium posted the link before on this thread where to get mkkrnlimg if you have problems compiling them two programs ill do it for you
                          Thanks for the info. I have an image of the 64bit linux distro too, I'm installing it right now

Comment

it worked!!!

SUCCESS!! IT WORKED!

Had some issues with running the binaries. Later i realized that they did not have permission to be run. After that everything went well. It took a bit of time and when i booted my box it was stock on the Tronsmart logo and wouldn't go anywhere.
                            I then flashed Wasser's firwmare onto the SD and booted it on the box and it got stuck on the logo. It took forever but it went to the launcher. After that i realized that my SD card is probably way to slow. After taking a look at it its only class 4!!!. Took out my 32GB Class 10 SD Card from my tablet and now I'm about to flash the stock firmware again and see if it was just the card.

Thanks for all your help grant2258!!
                            Btw, I used the 64bit binaries since i installed Linux Mint 64bit.

Comment

Originally posted by s3ntrax View Post
                              SUCCESS!! IT WORKED!

Had some issues with running the binaries. Later i realized that they did not have permission to be run. After that everything went well. It took a bit of time and when i booted my box it was stock on the Tronsmart logo and wouldn't go anywhere.
                              I then flashed Wasser's firwmare onto the SD and booted it on the box and it got stuck on the logo. It took forever but it went to the launcher. After that i realized that my SD card is probably way to slow. After taking a look at it its only class 4!!!. Took out my 32GB Class 10 SD Card from my tablet and now I'm about to flash the stock firmware again and see if it was just the card.

Thanks for all your help grant2258!!
                              Btw, I used the 64bit binaries since i installed Linux Mint 64bit.
                              glad you got it sorted mate the real person to thank is linuxium for doing all the hard work!

Comment

glad you got it sorted mate the real person to thank is linuxium for doing all the hard work!
                                But yes ofcourse, thanks linuxium for the tools and the guide!

Comment

Working...
                                X