Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Android or Linux from an SD card on a RK3288 device - An easy way to dual boot

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi RISCy. I haven't forgotten about the Firefly option you told me about and am glad to know it's available. I guess I'm still hoping for a way to have a more compatible (i.e. Ugoos) solution. Right now I'm willing to give it a little time to see what might develop. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
      Look like we not getting it lol
      Hello scooter2014, When attempting to make the 15.04 SD card, It always fails when it gets to the parameter bit. The error points to line 116 of the script(rkcrc). So evidently, something fails crc. Ugoos' 15.04 is nearly 2GB, I wonder if it fails due to the size. Does the parameter-linux file used for the script allow for an image this large? I wonder.
      As for trying to use the create-android-sdcard script, it fails while unpacking the Ugoos images. I wish I was more fluent in Linux.
      I will keep trying both, in the hope that I will stumble on the solution. But I wish linuxium would weigh in here and give us some pointers.
      Cheers.
      Last edited by RISCy Dude; 10-11-2015, 08:16.

Comment

In a continuing search for clarity ...

"There are two types of image file:
        - Monolithic image, often known as update.img, which contains the bootloader, parameter and all the partition image files. It is used for firmware distribution.
        - Multiple partition image, like kernel.img, boot.img, recovery.img, etc, which are created during development."
        (from http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/...Flash_image/en)

Linuxium script takes a single -.img parameter.
        It looks like this needs to be a "Monolithic" image.

There is a download link at the Ugoos 2.2.0 release announcement:
        http://ugoos.net/blog/ugoos-rk3288-u...droid-firmware
        The downloads via that link appear to be "Multiple partition" images.

I'm still scratching my head as to how to put this together.

Comment

Mega download links - Single image file of UT3 2.0.7 as an example.
          Same thing for UT3S.

Comment

It has to have his parameter.img it's getting the other files for mac1 fixes to be made when you make the SD card I tried in linux and can't get it to work. Tried all the full builds and broke them down and changed files but no go on the SD parameter.img fails to load when out putting the files to sd card
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Hi scooter2014 and RISCy Dude,

Had the same problem with my firefly bootable sd card when i wanted to add the fbcon line to the kernel parameters. Found a way around it: first boot your original bootable linux on sd card, then start a shell and from there read (dd) the parameter image, update it, rkcrc it and write it back. Worked for me on my firefly.

Made a little script for this, see my other post: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...n-linux-rk3288:
              ADDED 2015/10/13: JUST ANOTHER WAY TO DISABLE FBCON
              C) You can also try my fbconify script on github (https://github.com/mac-l1/fbconify.git). Should be able to update both bootable SD cards and internal flash partitions. Run from a terminal started on your rockchip device. Works at least on my firefly.
              Cheers - mac
              Support my work to make you a better multimedia experience...
              And Donate...

Comment

Originally posted by MAC_L1 View Post

Had the same problem with my firefly bootable sd card when i wanted to add the fbcon line to the kernel parameters. Found a way around it: first boot your original bootable linux on sd card, then start a shell and from there read (dd) the parameter image, update it, rkcrc it and write it back. Worked for me on my firefly.

Made a little script for this, see my other post: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...n-linux-rk3288:

Cheers - mac
                Thanks a bunch MAC_L1, I cannot wait to try this. Very excited!

Comment

Can't wait to try once done once we should be able to upload the whole image as one Bootable sd card. Love it just got a faster sd card today so can't wait to try it out. You Rock Mac1........ Thank you so much for this.
                  Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC_L1 View Post

Cheers - mac
                    ......!!!!!!!!!!
                    Lucky for you you are not nearby, otherwise you would be getting a hug!
                    Outstanding job!
                    Many thanks MAC_L1. Tangible sign of appreciation forthcoming.

Comment

I had some issues along the way, but it was probably something I did or did not do. I am going to try again and see if I have any issues with the install.
                      It is working, seems OK. Unfortunately, I will not get much time to play with it tonight, but I look forward to it.

For those that wonder if the frame buffer was actually disabled or want to check to see before installing MAC_L1's bits.....
                      Excerpt from a webpage.......
                      "Determine if framebuffer is being used
                      1. Run the following command from the shell: ls -l /dev/fb*
                      If the frame buffer is enabled, the above command will usually return/dev/fbX (X being a number; usually 0). For example: brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Jan 12 16:25 /dev/fb0
                      OR
                      1. Run the following command from the shell: grep -i "frame buffer" /var/log/syslog
                      If the frame buffer is enabled is enabled, it should return something such as:
                      Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
                      fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device"

If you see a result that contains the info "64-63", you have succeeded, and should be good to install MAC_L1's MACHYBRIS and MACKODI.

Comment

For those that want to see what it looks like or for proof that it works on the UT3, here is a zip with a few screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                          For those that want to see what it looks like or for proof that it works on the UT3, here is a zip with a few screenshots.
                          Any audio issues with mkvs 720/1080p?

Comment

Originally posted by gffmac View Post

Any audio issues with mkvs 720/1080p?
                            As stated, I have not spent much time with it yet. I quickly installed one add-on, CBSNews Live and watched a bit of that. No sound problems observed. Hopefully I get more time tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                              As stated, I have not spent much time with it yet. I quickly installed one add-on, CBSNews Live and watched a bit of that. No sound problems observed. Hopefully I get more time tonight.
                              Thanks mate, based on your findings I might give this a go.

Comment

Originally posted by gffmac View Post

Thanks mate, based on your findings I might give this a go.
                                I am going to do it again. When I feel I have a good setup, I will post an image. From that point, Win32DiscImager will be all that is required for users to have SD boot Linux running Kodi on their UT3(S).
                                Hopefully scooter2014 or others will beat me to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X