RK3368 - True OctaCore Firmware Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3368 - True OctaCore Firmware Release

...I made an entire well formatted post explaining the reason for this firmware, how it works, and what it enables differently in the system.

Freaktab forum ate the post and . . . . it's gone.

I'm not up to writing it again. Suffice to say a recent dialogue on CNXSoft (I had included the link in my original - now gone - firmware post) spurred me to complete my experiment into enabling true octacore multithreading across all eight cores of the RK3368.

This release enables all cores of the RK3368 at 1608mhz and allows them to run under GTS via DVFS - old school syle, I guess.

The performance gains are significant, but I see this as just a first step. DDR, GPU, VPU, emmc and of course CPU are all optimized for performance and efficiency; cpu vcore is quite lower than factory stock settings.

You don't need any hardware mods, special power supplies or programs to benefit from this change. Simply install and use.
    DOWNLOAD

EDIT: Original post finally showed up, hours later. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...tacore-release
    Last edited by Shomari; 02-11-2017, 22:57.

What about heat dissipation if all 8 cores are running at that clock speed? All the RK3368 boxes out there might not be able to handle that heat. This has been one of the issues of RK3288 and AML chips as well, I believe, though it can be tried.
    Tronsmart Orion R68 Meta
    CS968 -> HTC_T018 v4 20131216 with MTK
    GM282 (aka CX 919 II aka J22) - dead

Comment

Originally posted by ghanashyaml View Post
      What about heat dissipation if all 8 cores are running at that clock speed? All the RK3368 boxes out there might not be able to handle that heat. This has been one of the issues of RK3288 and AML chips as well, I believe, though it can be tried.
      There are no heat issues. The voltages are dropped significantly from the factory settings and scaling is handled differently.

Comment

can u made this for z68?ty shomari

Comment

Originally posted by bajann View Post
          can u made this for z68?ty shomari
          Sure I'll upload it later.

Comment

ty agan, i will try that and test ,but i must get some heatsink this box dont have heatsink

Comment

ill try on geekbox
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

ty agan, i will try that and test ,but i must get some heatsink this box dont have heatsink
                ...won't need it. The firmware scales from 696-1608mhz and analyzing the time-in-state shows it doesn't spend a disproportionate time at upper frequencies during normal use, even with ondemand (my preferred governor for tv boxes). Further, the lowered voltages make for dropped temperatures.

I haven't had any problems on the two boxes I've tested. But..

If your device explodes, kills your cat, or turns to dust, it's not on me. . . .

Comment

For the Z68 - please test. Different from above; it's based on previous mod I did using UT4* (edit) firmware for freakkid | this time to allow true multicore same as firmware in OP.

https://mega.nz/#!iUgDzAwB!5VA9s3Y2C...kMB3ruikoSKMSI
                  Last edited by Shomari; 10-02-2016, 22:57.

Comment

I try on geekbox wont boot. Black screen.
                    Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                      I'd have to mod it for that device.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                        what firmware is your geekbox on?

Comment

Originally posted by notShomari View Post

For the Z68 - please test. Different from above; it's based on previous mod I did using UT3 firmware for freakkid | this time to allow true multicore same as firmware in OP.

that fw(ut4) i have on my device i make some test right now , antutu test i get 35k with that fw ,i must get some heatsink geekbench give me 463 single core 1400multi ,i will wait that new fw.if u have a time to make that to work on this device
                          cpu temp apk dont work (2c)
                          i see all cores in ugoos kodi

Comment

Good Work ! Thumbs Up !
                            Works like a Champ.

Neomode

Comment

Originally posted by notShomari View Post

For the Z68 - please test. Different from above; it's based on previous mod I did using UT3 firmware for freakkid | this time to allow true multicore same as firmware in OP.

Z68
                              After formatting data and cache etc
                              Hangs on rebooting....
                              treboR
                              Please consider
                              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                              X