Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Hi all,
    After an extensive search for the answer for the below issues, I believe I found the solutions:
    a) Commoncache error if attempted to edit Advancedsettings.xml file to do path substitution to SDcard
    b) Long buffering while watching movies, specially 720/1080 movies.
    c) Looking for faster and smoother video streaming playback
    d) cache loads faster when try to click on "date release", "new movies", "all 720 movies" etc...
    e) Cache full message after buffering.
    Solution:
    ** Make sure you buy a class 10 high speed card (30mb/sec) and FORMAT with ext4 or exFAT or FAT32.
    1) Download an app called "External to Internal", launch the app and make sure the internal and external sdcard path are configured correctly
    In the app settings:
    Internal path - /mnt/scdard
    External path - /mnt/external_sd
    Put a check on "Rescan"
    In the app Main menu, make sure "on boot" is checked then tab on the internal->external button. You should received a popup notification ->"swap done".
    To verify, use root explorer or ES file explorer to check directory /mnt/external_sd. You should see the exact folders layout as directory /mnt/sdcard.
    2) If you are using Advancedsettings.xml file, make a backup. Install xbmctalk maintenance program from Xunitytalk. After installed you should see it under PROGRAMS. Launch this, select xbmctalk TWEAKS, then select "Add 0 cache Advanced XML". This will create a new Advancedsettings.xml file.
    Note: you can skip step 2 if you know how to config your own Advancedsettings.xml file for 0 cache limit.
    3) Reboot your device and enjoy smoother, faster movie play back.
    Last edited by buhohitr; 02-08-2014, 04:59.

I have found the tweak > add 0 cache.
    if I check this, will it automatically cache to my 32GB SD card?
    I'm new to this and having problems with streams stopping, but when I pause there is little/no cache happening.
    i want to use your step 2 to do this.
    do I just stick the SD card in the slot, then check the "add 0 cache" box?
    or do I need to do more?

Comment

Will this fix the garbage DL speed I'm getting from my FTP server or is that still limited somehow by the OS?

Doesn't work for me on my MK908 v5. It looks like it works. In ES it shows the same contents on both external_sd and sdcard, but memory performance does not increase at all and in settings>storage it still shows the stock capacity. Tried a reboot too. Made no difference.

I'll try it on my knockoff MK809 II to see if it helps, but so far no go for me.

EDIT: Also does not help my MK809 II. Same results. Shows that it works, but doesn't help anything. I'm thinking there is a limitation in whatever chip is handling I/O. I don't have an understanding of how it all works, but if I can get good speeds with every component I'm using besides the main device that tells me something is not right with it.
      Last edited by sketchman; 01-31-2014, 17:05.
      1.8Ghz Celeron 1037u based OpenELEC HTPC - Sadly PWNS all Androids everywhere

"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
        Will this fix the garbage DL speed I'm getting from my FTP server or is that still limited somehow by the OS?.
        Mom trying to figure out the same thing, my server is a little to slow, about 3600kbps, but if I can get it to cache more I could live with that.
        so again, do I just stick in my 32gb SD card, click "add 0 cache" and it will cache more?????

Comment

Hi all,
          Just want to be clear, this cache to sdcard is only for XBMC caching only, if you want to increase internal storage you need to use any apps called cache2sd. This allow you to install your download apps to your sdcard.
          In order to make your XBMC cache the entire movie (unlimited caching) to sdcard you need to do both steps. Your sdcard must be format in FAT32, exFAT or EXT4, you could use your phone to do this (exFAT) or use third party app to reformat your sdcard to the proper format. Third party app can format as exFAT or EXT4. Using FAT32 will make your device a bit slower.
          Last edited by buhohitr; 02-08-2014, 05:00.

Comment

Originally posted by buhohitr View Post
            Hi all,
            Just want to be clear, this cache to sdcard is only for XBMC caching only, if you want to increase internal storage you need to use any apps called cache2sd. This allow you to install your download apps to your sdcard.
            In order to make your XBMC cache the entire movie (unlimited caching) to sdcard you need to do both steps. Your sdcard must be format in exFAT or EXT4, you could use your phone to do this (exFAT) or use third party app to reformat your sdcard to the proper format. Third party app can format as exFAT or EXT4. Using FAT32 will make your device run slower and laggy.
            Is there an idiots step-by-step guide to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by toolman0114 View Post
              Is there an idiots step-by-step guide to do this?
              You need to do ALL below steps:
              1) download this software https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ install it on your PC and use it to format your SDcard with exFAT. Once done put your sdcard back to your device
              2) Download External 2 Internal app from play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...codlab.int2ext install this on your device, launch the app and make sure the internal and external sdcard path are configured correctly
              In the app settings:
              Internal path - /mnt/scdard
              External path - /mnt/external_sd
              Put a check on "Rescan"
              In the app Main menu, make sure "on boot" is checked then tab on the internal->external button. You should received a popup notification ->"swap done".
              3) Now you need to install
              xbmctalk maintenance program from Xunitytalk. After installed you should see it under PROGRAMS. Launch "xbmctalk maintenance", select "xbmctalk TWEAKS", then select "Add 0 cache Advanced XML". This will create a new Advancedsettings.xml file. Once close and exit xbmc then re launch xbmc and try to play a stream movie from Mashup.

Comment

That is great, will do this later today.
                i do have a question that I'm a little embarrassed to ask, when I turn on my box it turns on to the xbmc home page, how do I get to the android home page from there?

Comment

Originally posted by toolman0114 View Post
                  That is great, will do this later today.
                  i do have a question that I'm a little embarrassed to ask, when I turn on my box it turns on to the xbmc home page, how do I get to the android home page from there?
                  If you close out of xbmc it should go back to Android home page. You can go into settings -> apps and clear default for xbmc launcher, next hit home button and you should have an option to pick which one is the default home page.

Comment

Didn't try it out yet but sure I will. Nothing more then irritating the wait for buffer.
                    One question though.

Can you still use it for storing other files?

Comment

Originally posted by wackidth View Post
                      Didn't try it out yet but sure I will. Nothing more then irritating the wait for buffer.
                      One question though.

Can you still use it for storing other files?
                      Yes, you can, download Gparted iso image from here http://gparted.org/download.php then burn this iso image to cd, put in your pc and change your pc to boot from CD (hit f12 when pc first startup, it will give you the option to select boot from cd). Everytime it prompt, just hit enter, once you in the main screen, select create partition and make 2. The firs partition create as FAT32, this is for file storage, and second partition created as ext4, this is use for xbmc.

Comment

Originally posted by buhohitr View Post
                        Yes, you can, download Gparted iso image from here http://gparted.org/download.php then burn this iso image to cd, put in your pc and change your pc to boot from CD (hit f12 when pc first startup, it will give you the option to select boot from cd). Everytime it prompt, just hit enter, once you in the main screen, select create partition and make 2. The firs partition create as FAT32, this is for file storage, and second partition created as ext4, this is use for xbmc.
                        Thanks

What you would recommend for sizes on 32 GB card?

PS. Think I know you from XDA on the tf700 forum. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by wackidth View Post
                          Thanks

What you would recommend for sizes on 32 GB card?

PS. Think I know you from XDA on the tf700 forum. Correct?
                          I would give XBMC partition (ext4) a little bit more than a full 1080p movie if downloaded, I would say about 6-8gb would be good and the rest should be FAT32 for file storage. Remember once you stop the movie the cache will clear automatically. You can do both partitions as FAT32 but I don't recommend for the following reason:
                          1) you will be confuse since they both show up as your storage
                          2) ext4 is faster than FAT32
                          The only good thing about create both FAT32 partitions is it's easier to create on Windows.

Comment

Moderator, how can I edit my original post?

As the title said it all, please advise. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks this is a coool thing to know

Comment

Working...
                              X